Mustang IV Review

manufacturer: Fender date: 01/20/2012 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Fender: Mustang IV
Brand new Mustang IV. Same features as the III, but it is 150 watts 2x12. It is plenty big and loud.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.5
reviews (2) pictures (3) 49 comments vote for this gear:
Mustang IV Reviewed by: SARNUS, on may 18, 2011

Price paid: € 420

Purchased from: Pentagram

Features: Fender Mustang IV 150W 2x12 Solid State stereo combo (open back). About $500 in the US. FM-IV first introduced at the NAMM 2011 in LA and is the most powerful amp of the Mustang series (along with the FM-V 150W head). It is a next gen Solid State digital modelling amp loaded with 2 12" Celestion G12P-80 8 Ohm speakers. It has one channel with 100 presets; stereo effect loop (send-return); 1/4'' instrument input; 1/8'' aux input; 1/8'' headphone jack (doubles as speaker emulated line out); USB port for HQ low latency recording; included 4-Button footswitch for quick access, preset/bank select, or effects On/Off, and tuner. All Mustang series amps ship with Fender Fuse software + Fender Amplitube + Ableton recording software. This amp features 12 Amp Models, 7 Stomp Effects, 11 Modulation Effects, 9 Delay Effects, and 10 Reverb Effects. Mustang IV amps pack some serious punch with their 150W, they have a great bottom-end blasting sound and sparkling cleans that Fender amps are so famous for! It is a very loud amp so it's great to gig with. As there's a variety of fxs and amp models (easily scrolled trough/modified/saved thx to a great backlit lcd display), you can get any tone you want out of it, access any preset you want also with the included 4 button f.switch. If you're a computer guy like me :) you will definitely appreciate the Fender Fuse software for it's flexibility in the deep editing. // 10

Sound: Let's get it straight: this is no tube amp! Yet, if you had your eyes closed, you probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference between say a '57 Deluxe FM-IV is emulating and an actual '57 Deluxe! Great modelling sounds from a brilliant chilly clean or warm Vintage tube overdrive to the mud and filth of high gain modern goodness! It just has it all! Any music style you play, Fender Mustang's got everything you need. I play a variety of styles, though I prefer blues-rock to metal these days. Sounds great with humbuckers: driven and spanky in the bridge position, warm and juicy on the neck. There's not much to be desired, the Mustang is nearly perfect for me as it is for many other good men who already purchased it and were simply dumbstruck by it's authentic sound, power and versatility. Many experienced guitarists agree that this amp is everything a modern guitar player (either a noob or a pro) needs. The technology moves on and one day we're gonna be remembering with mere amusement the old days when we all used our beloved tube amps and dozens of pedals and rack fxs. // 9

Reliability & Durability: It's a Fender! What else is there to say... "Would you use it on a gig without a backup?" Yes, without a second thought! And don't forget it's solid state, no tubes burning on you! // 10

Overall Impression: I've been through a lot of amps both solid state and valve and there's one peculiar thing I've noticed some time ago after many debates with my fellow guitarists: THERE ARE NO GOOD AMPS OR BAD AMPS... THERE ARE ONES THAT YOU LIKE. So if you're new to the modelling technology I'd suggest that you go and check some sweet gear in your local guitar store! IMHO the Mustang series amps are the best modellers you could find on the market! PS: After I first heard its sound I couldn't believe it was a solid state amp and when they said me how much it cost I bought it straight away! // 10

Mustang IV Reviewed by: nsiress, on january 20, 2012

Features: Mfg'd in 2011 by Fender China. This amp has more sounds than you can shake a stick at! Has a great Satriani sound all the way to the cleanest of blues. Has 100 presets and these are all pretty good, Sounds like Fender hired guys that actually know what a good preset sounds like. Plug it in, Turn it on, the 1st preset is called "Liquid". It's like sliding down a water slide coated in oil! Man does it sound sweet. The headphone jack is great for late night quiet practice. The fuse software is fun to tweak amp presets. Or logon to the the ever growing online fuse community an download their presets. // 9

Sound: Here's where I need to backup an give a little history, about 6 months ago, I bought a used mustang 2, I was getting tired of my Vox AD30VT (great for cleans not for dirty). So I picked up the FM-II. Wow the cleans are better than the Vox, Plus the distortion was just what I was looking for, result - the Vox sold on craigslist 3-days later, I will never regret it. After playing for a while I decided to upgrade to the FM-IV to have the stereo sound, Love IT! Now I have 2 mustangs. II - for the bedroom, the IV - for the Jam room! The Mustang is great for any style of music, at any sound level. It reacts like a tube amp in regard to pick attack. And the sound too, Is much better than the Line 6 crap! (sorry line6 owners... It's true). // 9

Reliability & Durability: Basic construction, Not high end at all. Tolex covered particle board, seems sturdy enough. Has a good strong handle. Would survive a short fall, wouldn't test it though! Will last years if properly cared for. As for the aux in & headphone inputs, I have my doubt as they seem a bit fragile. // 7

Overall Impression: Overall this will be my only main amp for the foreseeable future. I'm extremely thrilled with it. // 10

More Fender reviews rating category latest review
+ Hot Rod DeVille 410 8.6 Guitar Amplifiers 03/31/2014