Princeton 650 Review

manufacturer: Fender date: 07/16/2013 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Fender: Princeton 650
The 65-watt Princeton 650 gives you seven revolutionary timbre filters, including "Metal Drop Scoop," "Mid Squawk" and "Acoustic Scoop"; plus a digital chromatic tuner and FX select, FX level and time/rate controls.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.3
 Features: 9.3
 8.4
 9.3
 7.4
reviews (4) pictures (2) 11 comments vote for this gear:
Princeton 650 Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 04, 2006

Features: The Fender Princeton 650 is a fairly new amplifier with multiple unique features. There are two channels, normal and drive. The amp is quiet enough for room practice, but can be made loud enough for a small concert. The effects are flat, bright, dark, deep, scoop, squawk, and can be set to sound like an acoustic guitar. You can set the FX level, and select the FX to reverb, chorus, flange, tremolo, vibe, and delay. They all provide excellent alteraion to the sound of the guitar. A tuner is built into the amp for convenience, and helps avoid the frustration of ripping your house apart looking for a tuner. The can come with an optional footswitch, and has a five year transferable warranty. I don't think that there is a headphone jack. // 10

Sound: The guitar styles that I use the Princeton 650 for ranges, but typically revolves around punk rock (Bad Religion, Pennywise, Social Distortion, etc). A lot of other times I'll play grunge like Nirvana. Sometimes I'll play reggae (Bob Marley), and funk rock like the Red Hot Chili Peppers. It works well with those types as well. The reverb, and chorus effects fit my punk rock style of music. The amp can be made noisy, but does not require noisiness to sound fantastic (you can put it on max volume, or level two volume and it will sound alike). It can be made noisy on any setting. The clean channel never distorts when it reaches high volumes, no matter what setting it's in. The amp can make sounds like the ones found in "Come As You Are", and can fade out. Other than my favorites, there are many other great effects. The brutality of the distortion depends entirely on what setting the drive is on. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The Fender Princeton 650 is a very dependable amp, and I would definitely use it in a gig with no backup. You can kick it over, jump on it, whatever, but it won't break. It has never broken down under any circumstance. // 10

Overall Impression: As mentioned earlier, I play punk rock, and this amp matches every need perfectly from fading out, to reverb. I own two acoustic guitars, another amp, one electric guitar, and I have been playing for three years (I'm only 12). The people at SamAsh were friendly and told me everything I needed to know about this amp (you can demo it). I would never buy another amplifier until (if) I become a member of a major band, and are performing for twenty-thousand people. I would always keep my Princeton 650 amp, and because of its durability, I most likely won't have to buy another one. I love everything about from the features, to the effects, to all the timbres, and even the durability. I've compared this amplifier with smaller Fender amps, and a couple Crate amps. I've tried another giant Fender amp, and this one still wins. This is my idea of a perfected amp. // 10

Princeton 650 Reviewed by: >>AlbiN<<, on november 06, 2006

Purchased from: Digital Village

Features: I purchased a Brand New amp (the Dyna-Touch III model is fairly new, as far as I'm aware), and it has all the features one would expect of a 21st Century amplifier: onboard tuner, a selection of effects, two channels with an optional footswitch, and an effects loop (the output of which can also be used as a line-out). The onboard effects are not necessary (although they are useful) and can't quite compete with effects pedals - however, for me they were a desirable feature on the amp in the short-term as my budget does not stretch to include buying hundreds of pedals at the moment. A solid-state combi in the range of 50-80 watts was what I was after, and this 65watt beauty fits the bill perfectly. Loud enough to fill small to medium-sized venues and affordable and portable enough for a small-time musician such as myself, in the grander scale of things the Princeton is a formidable amplifier. // 8

Sound: I chose a Fender amp because I use Fender (and Fender copy) guitars. My Pacifica (my main guitar) has two single-coils and a humbucker at the bridge - I tend to play using the middle or bridge pick-up. This amp brings out the deeper tones of the single-coils perfectly, and provides a crisper, biting sound at the bridge pick-up. Both channels are very adaptable, and the onboard reverb brings out the best sounds whether you want a deep, resonating clean tone, a squawking, screaming distorted tone or anything inbetween. The clean channel stays totally clean up to level 9 or so, and the distortion can be kept at a very low level to add a gentle, crisp bite to your sound. Depending on your guitar and leads, the amp may hum a little when the volume is up. However, I use shielded jack-leads and the amp is almost silent when not being played. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I have only had this amp for a week, and have played Live with it twice. As a new model I expect it to last for several years without any problems, and will be gigging without a backup. It is strong, sturdy and also small and portable, it will be a tricky amp to damage. // 8

Overall Impression: I play everything from rock to funk to acoustic-based music and this amp has the diversity to fit with my styles. It is the best amp in its price range that I have ever played (I've been playing intensely for four years). The onboard tuner, the great range of sounds and EQ options are all brilliant, my only real frustration is that the footswitch isn't included! // 8

Princeton 650 Reviewed by: evo_intheband, on july 23, 2007

Purchased from: a local flea market

Features: I bought th Fender Princeton 650 today and have been jamming on it for about 7 hours straight. I like to play rock and this amp is useful for that. It has two different channels and I use the clean for when I hook up my acoustic. Now the drive channel lets you make your sound as heavy as you want it or even lets you play the blues. It has such settings as on board tuner, ex level, ex selection, and rate/time. It has reverb, delay, and five more settings. I use this amp at home for right now. I am going to start using it everywhere else. For 65W it does the job. // 10

Sound: I use Gibson Les Pauls (and some copies) with two humbucker pickups. The Fender Princeton 650 has the same sound quality on 10 as it has on 2 and even 1/2. The clean channel has a nice sound quality no distortion. I recommend using this amp for small venues and maybe even medium gigs. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I can depend on this amp anywhere I go. I would not use any other amp as a backup. I don't think I need anything but this amp for now. You can throw this amp through a window (not that you need to or even want to) and jump on it and it still won't break. Now maybe if you were 200lbs. + you would probably break it. I'm not saying to do all of this to check to see if I'm right or even to try to prove me wrong. This is a good amp all around. // 10

Overall Impression: I have been playing guitar since I was 15. I own an acoustic guitar, a Harmony Strat, and I have a little bitty Stone amp. Now that one is for warming up and practicing on. The one effect I do wish this amp had was a wah effect. Man that would be great. Who knows maybe Fender is iventing a new amp with the wah feature the sounds exactly like the Princeton 650. // 8

Princeton 650 Reviewed by: ehbacon, on july 16, 2013

Purchased from: Guitar Cellar

Features: This amp is great for rock guitarists of any genre! I play mostly punk and grunge, the amp is fantastic for Nirvana style playing. There are heavier settings, and cleaner settings. There are only two channels, clean and distortion, and has a button on the amp if you don't have the pedal. This amp has many effects; delay, flange, TREM, VIB, reverb etc., and also has a time/rate knob. You can control the effects with the FX level knob. This amp has no headphone jack. I wish the amp had a headphone jack but it is a very powerful amp, it would deafen me if I put in headphones! I use pretty much all the features including a built in tuner. This amp is good for at home practicing and small to medium sized gigs, as I said it is a very powerful amp. The amp is not compatible for a Zoom effects-box or any similar products. // 9

Sound: This amp suits my Punk/Grunge style playing with the effects it has, such as the effect featured on the track "Come As You Are" by Nirvana. Even though the amp only has two channels, the channels are very flexible. The amp is is great for any rock style, or for the acoustic styles as well. On the distortion channel, you will hear a little buzzing up close to the amp, but this will be no problem at gigs. The amp has a huge variety of sounds it can make, too many to count! But odds are, you'll be able to set the amp to the style you like. The clean channel is clean at all volumes, and settings. The amp's volume sounds similar when at 2 to when at 10. The distortion can be very heavy or mild to low depending on the users settings with the Drive knob, and equalizers. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This amp is a large amp, but surprisingly light-weight. The amp is very transportable. I wouldn't need a backup for this amp. I just got the amp this week so I haven't gotten the chance to break it yet! But the amp is very durable, it has fallen over and none of the settings have changed. I got the amp used and there is not a single dent on it. Don't throw it off a building or something, but this amp is in good condition after being used for 8 or 9 years. So if your not trying to break it, odds are it won't break. // 9

Overall Impression: Like I said, I play Punk/Grunge. This amp is perfect for my styles, and if you want to play acoustically the amp is great for that too. I've been playing for a good 5 years now and I only own 1 guitar, a Jay Turser (not sure what the model is). I did own a Zoom effects-box, but as I said the amp is not compatible for it, I had to sell it. If I lose this amp I would probably not get the same amp, as I got a great deal on it, but I would look to another fender. If I could get the amp for the same price I paid for this one I would get it though. I love the diversity of the amp styles, I could play anything and this amp would be a perfect match. I'm getting the pedal for the amp which will make switching channels much easier. This is a great amp for a great price! // 10

More Fender reviews rating category latest review
+ Modern Player Jaguar Bass 9 Bass Guitars 09/15/2014