Princeton 65 DSP Review

manufacturer: Fender date: 03/16/2011 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Fender: Princeton 65 DSP
65W power. 12" Eminence speaker. DSP effects including reverb, delay, chorus, flange, tremolo, and more. Effects control is provided by a 16-position select switch and level knob.
 8.3
 9.2
 7.3
reviews (8) 9 comments vote for this gear:
Princeton 65 DSP Reviewed by: UG Team, on july 25, 2003

Purchased from: Mars Music in Chesapeake, Va

Features: This is a great amp. It has only effects that I actually use ,which are Flanger, reverb, delay and several others. The only problem is that it needs a double foot switch or your effects will get messed up. // 8

Sound: This amp is great for punk and ska which is basically all I play. The clean channel has a little dist. on it when its loud and the dist. has a wicked feed back. The distortion is great though. I use a Les Paul with this amp and it doesnmt sound good with the bridge pickup so I suggest using the middle setting. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Works Like a Charm. // 10

Overall Impression: Get this amp. Its great. Versatile and is good. // 10

Princeton 65 DSP Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 14, 2003

Purchased from: Middletown Music

Features: This amp has two channels, obviously clean and dirty, but it also has a couple different effects to choose from. Other effects include tremelo, delay, flanger, chorus, vibrato, and reverb (it's possible I'm forgeting one) this amp is perfect for young guitarists looking for a first reliable amplifier. // 10

Sound: I play a strat in a rock band (Douchebags Anonomous) and a ska band (happily underated) the amp is loud enough to be heard over horns and drums when I want it to be and it is great to have the effects. I bought a pedal to make the effects easier to switch in and out of. The amp blends perfectly with any sound I want. In both bands punk songs that are balls to the wall are played and soft ballads are played. Either is pulled off easily with the amp. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The amp I use has never broken down and I've used it constantly for about 3 weeks. I could take it out to a bar and play it without a doubt, and do so whenever I want (this amp is just a practice one, so that I don't blow up my show one by playing it too loud.) // 8

Overall Impression: For my bands this amp is perfectly designed. I've been playing for about 2 years and the only other gear I have is my strat, effects pedal for my new amp, and an old amp. This amp is loud, soft, has effects, it's everything any guitarist, especially a new guitarist looking for a first amp, could ask for. // 10

Princeton 65 DSP Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 22, 2004

Purchased from: new york music

Features: The amp is great it's got 2 channels and reverb. I wish i had a little more distorion in it. But it is loud. I just practice with it but I've it has one monster crunch to it. I play alot of grunge and with my distoriton pedal its exacty the sound I want. // 8

Sound: I play a japanese Strat with it and I use a digitech distortion pedal togeather with the amp I can go from classic rock to punk to grunge to metal i a few seconds. The clean channel on it is flawless. If I played jazz this would be my amp. The distorion channel is a bit buzzy but I get around that. The distoriton is nice it can go from bluesy stuff to punk to a nice heavy crunch. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I haven't had any problem it holds up no matter what and I play this thing loud! It would be great for gigs its got a very full sound. It's a transister. // 10

Overall Impression: I love it. I woulnd't recomend it to any metal heads. But for anyone punk players it all you want and more. And for classic rock and blues it would be perfect. I only with is had a bit more distorion but thats what pedals are for. I've only been playing for 2 years I'm only 15 but I know what im doing. Wheather your doing riffs of leads it's a nice sound. // 10

Princeton 65 DSP Reviewed by: Turtles-r-cool, on july 02, 2004

Features: It has built in effects that you actual use like reverb, delay, flange, etc. It has clean and distortion and works like a charm. I play various kinds of music and it works good on all of them. It has no headphone jack though and you need a special foot pedal. But it's still loaded. // 10

Sound: I'm using a Washburn X-series and it works fine, I don't see anything wrong with it. It is very loud, I'm 14 so I odviously live with my parents and they tell me to turn it down even when it's at 2 on the volume. It's loud and good with drums. The distortion could use a little more distortion, but the clean is very clean and I' satisfied. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I haven't had it very long so it doesn't really apply yet. But no breakdowns yet! // 10

Overall Impression: I have been playing for around 4 months and this amp is good for my skill level and I hope it stays that way. I compared this on against a Crate amp, but the Crate was 30 watts and costs $250. I bought it at Music 6000 and I just asked them if I could get some money off and they took $30 of the price! It was nice. It's a good amp and I think others would like it too. // 10

Princeton 65 DSP Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 02, 2006

Features: The amp was in the 2005 line up. It's not tube, but I think it has the quality of a tube amp. It has well enough power for me. Of course, its not as fragile as a tube amp is, but it's got a great sound. It's perfect for a teen or college student like me. You can move it to your buddy's garage and start up a band without fear of ruining it. I believe it has a five year warranty. It also has seven different timber effects which makes it compatible for all genres. I like to play alternative and punk music. You can play blues, country, jazz, etc. It works just fine. It also has several effects, such as tremola (which is perfect for Green Day's Boulevard Of Broken Dreams), vibrato, flange, chorus, delay, and reverb. It's an excellent amp. I am very happy with it. It can be very loud and has an excellent tone. // 10

Sound: It suits my musical style very easily. I am only using my old beginners Peavey guitar with awful pickups, so I get some pretty haggard feedback when it turn distortion and volume high. I plan on getting a new guitar with silent pickups though soon. I think that should fix the problem. The distortions is really great. The timber effects are awesome and allow a variety of different genres of music to be played. The effects are awesome too. // 10

Reliability & Durability: My dad's friend has been playing guitar for a long time and he recommended it b/c of its durability when I had the chance to get a brand new Marshall 100 watt tube for $400. I haven't had it long, but according to his opinion it will last me. // 10

Overall Impression: It fits my music style very well. It has everything I need or any person wanting to fit any genre of music needs. // 10

Princeton 65 DSP Reviewed by: stevo192, on may 29, 2006

Purchased from: Music shop somewhere in devon

Features: This amp is a 2005 model. I bought it pretty much as soon as it came out. I hadn't even heard of it before I played it in the music shop, I plugged it in and needless to say, I was hooked. It has great tone, a very useable onboard effects machine and even a tuner, which proves very handy. It has line in, line out and effects loop jacks but unsurprisingly no headphones socket, much to the distress of my parents! It has two channels, clean and distorted. On the effects machine it has chorus, reverb, flange, tremelo, vibrato and delay. These all prove very decent and useable. It is perfectly loud enough (65 watts) to compete with an unmiced drum kit at half volume. It is also loud enough for small gigs (school halls, etc). It has a 3 band eq on the dirty channel and a 2 band on the clean channel. My only gripe with the thing is that it isn't tube, but it sounds so good, I dont really care, oh and the fact that it doesn't come with a footswitch, and those Fender footswitches are really hard to find to work with this model. // 9

Sound: Well, I am using a Fender Standard Stratocaster with stock single coils in it, and I can get some quite useable tones. I play mainly rock and punk, but I also play some blues-rock to. It covers all the bases, but it really doesn't seem to be able to give me a decent crunch tone, though this isn't really a major issue for me, it may be for others. Other than that, it is quite a versatile amplifier. It is noisy, I have to use a noise gate with it because I can't stand that hum, but this may be a result of using single coil pickups. The clean channel is fabulous and doesn't distort until about 8 or 9 volume. The distortion channel is sweet, it really is. I don't like marshalls as I believe they are a little gain-heavy and this amp really does have decent distortion, I would just like it to be slightly brighter and warmer, which is why I give it an 8. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I would depend on it at a gig, as I have never had any problems before. The fact that I don't have another amp big enough would also play a part, as I have no choice but to use it. However, I really like this amp, and I know it wouldn't let me down. // 10

Overall Impression: I really do like this amp, quiet enough to be used in the house (though my parents would certainly disagree) and definitly loud enough to gig with. The logo on the front helps alot as I am a Fender man through and through. I have been playing 4 years now, and I own a Fender Standard Stratocaster and a Zoom G2, quite a simple set-up really. If it was lost or stolen I would probably buy it again, or if I had enough cash, the stage 1200, the 120 watt version of this with wheels and a footswitch, purely because it would allow me to have more eq options (it has 4 band EQ) and even more power (not that this baby doesn't). I also really love this amp, because it has a setting on it to really beef up my single coils. With this, whey have enough beef to put a herd of cows to shame. I love this amplifier, and would strongly advise you to purchace one. // 10

Princeton 65 DSP Reviewed by: shhaannt, on september 23, 2006

Purchased from: guitar center

Features: This amp dose istnt for metal at all, this amp (if not played through any footpedals) is at best a jazz/soft rock amp. It has two channles (one clean, one dist) the clean is amazing (and sounds really good wen played through a footpetal). It also has a lot of effect buit-in: chorus (3 kinds), flnger (2 kinds), delay, reverb, etc. I used this amp while jamming with my band, but it bailed on my after 3 years of blasting metal through it, anywyas I think I got wat I asked for, something basic and good souding. // 8

Sound: I use a Gibson SG Faded, with everything stock. I play through a DigiTech GNX4 so I don't use it's dist. At all but the dist isn't that bad. the clean is good too. The fan dosn't make a lot of noise but if ur playing with gate then it has like a .002 sec delay (which is really annoying if you play any type of metal). Once again it has over 7 effects built in. The dist isn't very high gain but it's okay. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I would never trust this amp for a jamm setion, let alone a gig! This is a practice amp that you would use for a playing at small cafe's. This amp always breaks doen wen I decide to turn it up past 5. This amp is a solid state amp, but if this amp had tubes in it it would be so much better! // 5

Overall Impression: I play metal and this is NOT a good match for it at all. I've been playing for 4 years now and I just recently bought a Crate XT120R for $250! if it were stolen or lost I would buy another amp, but with the same concept, a practice amp with good control. I was going to buy a Marshall MG100DFX but the guy at guitar center said this amp is better, but I wish I got the Marshall. // 8

Princeton 65 DSP Reviewed by: motorxtp199, on march 16, 2011

Features: This amp has all the effects that I use (Besides a tube screamer) it has reverb, delay, flanger, phaser, etc. And it even has a few options to mix two effects together. My personal favorite being the delay with reverb it sounds amazing on both channels. But this is a fantastic amp and although I got it used I believe it should have been worth a lot more because this is an awesome amp. The only thing its lacking would be a headphone jack (but if it had one it would blow my ear drums out in a week so its probably better that way). // 9

Sound: I have a Schecter C-1+ with EMG 89R in the neck position and Seymour Duncan Blackout AHB-1 in the bridge and it sounds amazing at all sounds at any levels. When I first bought this amp, I figured that I would just use it for cleans and use my DigiTech RP1000 for the distortion but to be honest I have only used my DigiTech once! The distortion is amazing on this amp and because I play 80's rock and shred most of the time, it is perfect for my play style. But honestly if you wanted to play a Children of Bodom song with this amps distortion you can because I've tried it and it still sounds good! // 10

Reliability & Durability: Well I have had this guitar for about 6 months an d I haven't had any problems yet with it. And since it was used when I bought it I would say it is doing very well. I would definitely use this for small gigs and even bigger gigs if I can have it set up with the PA system! :) // 9

Overall Impression: Well I have been playing for almost 3 years now and I can shred pretty hard on my guitars but this amp can handle it all and sound great at the same time. The only problem is that people can hear the amp outside when the volume on either channel is at about 1.5 or so. So this thing can get very loud very quick but it still sounds good on any volume. I would definitely recommend this to a friend and would buy another in a heartbeat. I love this amp! :) // 10

More Fender reviews rating category latest review
+ Jazzmaster - Lee Ranaldo Signature 8.6 Electric Guitars 12/19/2014