Pro Junior Review

manufacturer: Fender date: 02/08/2007 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Fender: Pro Junior
In the tradition of early Fender amps such as the Champ, Princeton and Harvard, the Pro Junior is a small, pure and uncomplicated all-tube amp. Crank it up for natural tube overdrive, and vary its response with your guitar?s controls.
 Reliability & Durability: 7.7
 Features: 6.7
 8.2
 7.6
 8.8
reviews (3) 13 comments vote for this gear:
Pro Junior Reviewed by: jcs5234, on october 18, 2006

Features: Made in 2002, bought in 2003. This amp will fit most all musical styles except for metal. One channel, volume and tone knob, no other features to speak of but who cares? Although I wish it had reverb, I tried out the Fender Blues Junior which has reverb and I didn't like it nearly as much. Therefore, I run a Electro-Harmonix Holy Grail Reverb in my line. I use this amp for practice, and for gigs I run two in stereo and change the settings depending on which song I'm playing. This thing is 15 watts but it's a loud little tube amp. I usually run it around 6 and I don't need to mic it in small venues. Larger ones I do, but sometimes I use a larger amp. // 7

Sound: I use this amp with a Fender American Standard Strat (1998) and a Gibson SG Standard (2000). Mostly I use the strat as I prefer to use mostly clean tones. I play blues, classic rock, reggae and it can handle any of those. The thing hisses kind of badly when around other electronic devices. Very good for rock tones but again if you want metal, don't get this thing because it wont suit you. Considering there is only one channel, and the amp is designed to overdrive as you turn up the volume. Very clean at low volumes begins to distort around 4. I like it around 6. You want two channels? then drop your guitar's volume for clean tones and bring it back up for bluesy overdrive. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Very reliable amp, only had to change the tubes once (when I bought it I switched out the tubes because the guy said that the one I bought had been in the store for a while and it sounded like the tubes needed to be replaced). I usually use two in clubs, but I would be comfortable using just one as long as it was a small place. I have no fear in it ever breaking down. // 9

Overall Impression: I play blues, classic rock, reggae, etc and this fits these styles very well. I've been playing for about 7 years and when I bought this amp it basically became my main amp because of it's size and large volume, but it also has nice tone at lower volumes making it great for recording. Before I got this, I used a blues deluxe, but I really like the tone of this better. I would definitely get another one of these, but as my band is playing larger places, I'm looking at a Marshall bluesbreaker reissue and a Fender '57 Tweed Twin. I love the simplicity, I'm all about that in all of my gear. // 9

Pro Junior Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 08, 2007

Features: This is about as simple as it gets. 15 watt all-tube combo, two 12AX7 preamp tubes and two EL84 power tubes. One channel. A single 10" speaker. Guitar input, volume, tone, on/off Switch. Very basic. Not that that's a bad thing. I wasn't particularly concerned about the lack of a "true" tone stack, ie seperate knobs for treble, bass etc.I've found the one knob allows for plenty of range. Nothing I wish it had, I don't use reverb, even on amps that have it. I also don't need seperate channels or a Master Volume, anything like that. So I'll rate it based on my needs. Might be a little simplistic for some. // 9

Sound: Ok, here we go. This is a dirty little screamer. I play Fender guitars, a Telecaster and a Stratocaster, depending on my mood, both with single-coils. With the volume on two or three, it plays clean. Very warm, bright, punchy. Very tight bass, not overly deep or flabby. Lots of character to the clean tones, lots of presence, notes seem to jump right out of the amp. I was very impressed. As the volume moves to four or five the amp starts to break up, very responsive and dynamic. Cleans up very well. The overdrive is very smooth and warm. As you reach the highest volume levels (it goes to twelve) this thing really sings. Big, fat, snarling tones, sustain for days. Not harsh at all. Even maxed out, the amp remains very responsive and articulate, and it cleans up great. On lower notes, especially with a neck pickup, the enclosure tends to vibrate and rattle a bit, but the bass itself is nice and defined. That's probably my only complaint. For my style of playing, the amp is spot on. If you need more than a classic rock-type overdrive, though, you might be disappointed. I give it a ten though, based on my needs. I still can't believe hoew good this thing sounds for the price. Mean, screaming blues tones abound here, or back it off for something more polite. The tone knob will roll of the treble and upper mids, going from very bright on 12 to very dark and slightly muddy on the lower settings. With my guitars, I usually go between 6 and 9. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It seems very sturdy. Not sure what the enclosure is made out of, but it feels solid. The tubes are covered on the back, but you still need to be careful. They're glass, after all. Seems solid though, guess that's something time will tell. Never had amajor problem with a Fender product though, guitar or amp. I'd probably not gig without a backup though, because there's always the possibility a tube could fail. // 7

Overall Impression: This is exactly what I wasn'ted in an amp, a simple, no frills all tube combo I could crank without being ridiculously loud. Don't get me wrong though, it's still loud. Definitely solid for a small club gig or to play with all but the loudest drummer. The tone is to die for, smooth, fat, liquidy overdrive with sustain for days, or back it off for warm, punchy cleans. It's definitely a blues amp though, don't plan on playing anything harder than classic rock without a pedal in line. // 8

Pro Junior Reviewed by: FatMatt420, on october 17, 2006

Purchased from: Long and Mcquade

Features: No idea what year this amp was made in. Very basic amp, though. No fancy features. Just a volume knob and a Tone knob. Being a 15W tube amp, this amp is deathly loud. So I took it back and got the Traynor TTM30. I really do wish they could have integrated some EQ knobs and maybe an overdrive, but hey, you can't have everything. Well, you can, but that would make for one expensive amp. // 4

Sound: This amp doesn't really give you much choice as to how you want the guitar to sound and isn't very versatile, but I only used 2 settings (off and volume at max). Basically, this is an amp for you to begin with and get your ears used to being blown right out of your head. // 4

Reliability & Durability: This amp is very reliable in the sense that it will last a while. About as reliable as any other tube amp would be. Occasionally you will have to replace a tube if you are rough with it, so try not to be. However, if you take very good care of any tube amp, really, it will last just as long as you will. // 7

Overall Impression: I play literally everything out there. This amp works for my music styles, I guess, but it's not something you would want to buy if you like screwing with EQ, or like having a reverb/overdrive. My favourite feature on it would have to be how loud it goes, though. It almost got me kicked out of my basement apartment. Apparently I was dropping pictures 2 floors above me right off the wall, shaking things off shelves and just plain pissing the landlord off. Hate your parents? Get this amp. // 7

More Fender reviews rating category latest review
+ DG-20S 8.3 Acoustic Guitars 07/29/2014