Reissue Blues Deluxe Review

manufacturer: Fender date: 08/18/2009 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Fender: Reissue Blues Deluxe
Behold the Reissue Blues Deluxe a vintage-style tube amp with 'boutique' tone at a great price that many a pro rock, country and blues player has used to superb effect.
 Features: 8.5
 9.2
 8.9
 9.4
reviews (2) 10 comments vote for this gear:
Reissue Blues Deluxe Reviewed by: Dr.Jazz, on june 26, 2007

Purchased from: Sound Control

Features: I bought the amp a month ago, made in Mexico and it's a great amp, valve or tube state, whichever word you use for them, and it's covered in genuine tweed. I play mainly jazz and blues and this amp is perfect for this, the valves/tubes give a nice warm sound and it has built in spring reverb which is amazing. It has 2 input channels one is standard channel and one take 6dB off the sound to give you a darker tone. It has pre amp and power amp inputs and a foot Switch input which you get with it. The foot switch is your standard fender 2 button with a reverb button and a channel select, which selects from normal (clean) or overdrive. It has a normal/bright button for giving the tregle range a boost, but I don't use it much. It also has an extra input for a 4 ohm external speaker, which I doubt I will ever use but it's there just incase. You get a free waterproof cover. // 10

Sound: I use a Fender Deluxe Player Stratocaster with Vintage Noiseless pickups and it sounds fantastic, apart from the overdrive which is rather ppor, but I'll get to that. I mostly have been using input 2 to give me a warmer tone and I use a small amount of reverd which gives me a great sound. The overdrive is a bit poor, infact it's very poor you have to have the drive knob right up at 12 for a small amount of distortion whcih isn't good, but I'm going to buy a distotion pedal for that purpose. Apart from the OD channel everything else is fine. I would say it has pretty good variety unless you are a heavy metal player then don't even go near it. I would says it's good for blues, jazz, disco and country, just not things with heavy distortion, I would suggest a Marshall for that purpose. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I would be happy to use this amp without a backup in a live gig. I haven't had any problem with any of the valves so far but it's only ben 4 weeks. It comes with 2 Fender/Groove 6L6 output valves/tubes and 3 preamp 12AX7 valves/tubes, which look as if they will last a long time but I would always have a spare set on the ready jsut incase. But I would have this as my main gig amp for a long time. // 10

Overall Impression: I am very impressed with this amp, it's a perfect match for my style of playing and it would be a good amp in many Live conditions. I've been playing for about 2-3 years and I regularly play for my school at prize givings and such. I wish it did have a bit better distortion but I can work round this. If it was stolen, I would be happy to buy it again. I lvoe the Reverb on it, it's fantastic. I looked at another Fender amp, the Deluxe 900 which was discontiued so I had to shop for another amp but I wish I had saw this in the first place as I would have bought it there and then without having to wait for it. Everything that is on it is fine and I wouldn't ask for anything else to be put on it as it would jsut complicate it even more. // 10

Reissue Blues Deluxe Reviewed by: toyboxmonster, on august 18, 2009

Price paid: C$ 899

Purchased from: Steve's Music Store

Features: According to Fender's website, the Fender Blues Deluxe takes the circuit of the classic 1959 Fender Bassman and adds to it a number of commodities essential for the modern guitarist: an effects loop, an overdriven channel, and a real Fender spring reverb. The amplifier comes with a footswitch controlling channel switching and reverb. The Blues Deluxe is a 40-watt all-tube tweed combo amplifier holding a 12" speaker. I've only used this as a bedroom amp so far, but it is capable of such high volumes that I'd have no trouble using it in a gigging situation. While the simple, classic layout is appealing, I must admit that it would be much improved by the presence of both a headphone jack and some sort of output for recording. // 7

Sound: I regularly use two guitars with this amp: a Fender Jaguar Special and a Yamaha SG-2 which is for all purposes a copy of a Fender Jaguar Standard. I play noisy ambient rock, and the Blues Deluxe fits my needs perfectly. This amp is capable of gorgeous warm cleans, and the Presence control allows me to add just the amount of trebly sparkle I need to create dreamy shoegaze lead tones along the lines of Slowdive and Chapterhouse. What amazes me about this amplifier is its ability not to break up; even at higher volumes it offers flawless cleans. I find myself using the dirty channel very often; it is a very crisp, useable overdrive suitable for everything from blues to Indie rock. The spring reverb is probably my favourite feature, producing that subtle but unmistakeable spring reverb sound that simply cannot be recreated by stompboxes. It does get noisy with the single coils of the Yamaha SG-2, but this is definitely the guitar, not the amplifier, as my Jaguar's humbuckers are dead silent. This is fairly versatile amp that achieves both great Vintage-sounding tones and modern rock tones effortlessly. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This is a short and stocky amplifier that seems to be built to last. This is my very first tube amp, and the only thing I really imagine going wrong with the Blues Deluxe is it needing to have its tubes replaced. The store where I bought it had two of these in stock when I came in: one on the floor for demonstration purposes and one still in its box in the stock room. I was a little afraid about reliability when I learned that the one on the floor was malfunctioning, but everything seems fine so far. // 8

Overall Impression: I play shoegazing and dream-pop, which commonly makes use of the Fender Twin Reverb for its lush cleans and the Blues Deluxe does the job just as well as the Twin would. The sound is deep and spacious and reacts very well to effects, which is absolutely essential for me. I currently use a DigiTech Whammy IV and a Boss Super Feedbacker & Distortion in front of the amp, as well as a Boss Giga Delay, an Electro-Harmonix Stereo Memory Man, a Boss Space Echo, a DigiTech Digital Reverb and an Empress Tap-Tempo Tremolo in the loop, and I've had absolutely no trouble even with everything plugged in. I was considering the Blues Deluxe, the '59 Reissue Bassman, and the '65 Reissue Twin Reverb. I settled on the Blues Deluxe for the simple reason that it was about half of the cost and delivered just as lush a sound. I really wish there was the option of a line out for recording, since I live in an appartment and can't play at volumes loud enough to record with a mic. Apart from that, this is a an amplifier that has everything I need. // 8

More Fender reviews rating category latest review
+ '64 Bandmaster Head 9 Guitar Amplifiers 07/22/2014