SP-10 Review

manufacturer: Fender date: 06/23/2010 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Fender: SP-10
This is just a little 10 Watt practise amp that comes free with the Squier Stratocaster starter packs. Its features are very basic: 1 input, volume, treble, bass controls, clean / overdrive, headphone socket. Just what you would expect from an amp that costs around 30 or something.
 Reliability & Durability: 5.5
 Features: 4.5
 5.2
 5.7
 4.7
reviews (2) 4 comments vote for this gear:
SP-10 Reviewed by: kingkill_33, on november 25, 2008

Features: This is just a little 10 Watt practise amp that comes free with the Squier Stratocaster starter packs (at least it used to because now they seem to come with a Fender Frontman or something). Its features are very basic: 1 input, volume, treble, bass controls, clean / overdrive, headphone socket. Just what you would expect from an amp that costs around 30 or something. // 6

Sound: I find this amp is OK on the clean setting and offers a little flexibility but only in terms of altering the treble and bass which you can do on any amp really... I absolutely hate the overdrive setting on this amp, it sounds very tinny and weak no matter what you set it to and if you put the bass too high it sounds very muffled and lacks distinction. If used with an effects pedal then the amp does sound reasonably good, it can be cranked up high and is pretty loud for a little 10 watter, mine never goes over "2" on the volume. I wouldn't recommend the amp for a particular style as it is just a standard practise amp and not meant for gigging etc. Just use some effects and it will sound like however you need it to. // 7

Reliability & Durability: The construction seems fairly solid and the knobs have never come loose or fallen off. it's just a usual wooden amp with that black textured stuff stuck over it. Like I said above, it is only a practise amp and never meant to be gigged so I would never use it for a Live performance unless I wanted to look like a complete tit or something. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall it's just a standard practise amp, nothing special yet nothing to complain about other than the useless overdrive. I have been playing through my SP-10 for 6 years now and it is still going strong so I have to give it credit for going so long. I mean obviously if it were nicked I wouldn't buy another one because it came with my guitar I didn't have to pay for it, I would just save up and buy a bigger better amp. If you are looking for a really cheap, basic practise amp then you could get yourself an SP-10 and probably get change for 30.00 then again you would probably be better off saving for something with more features and higher quality distortion. // 7

SP-10 Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 23, 2010

Features: 10 Watt Amp, NOT 9-v. Uses a 3-prong cord. Has 1 input jack and 1 headphone jack. Clean and Distortion channel, and has Volume, Treble and Bass Controls. It works quite well with effect pedals. It's barely suitable for a practice amp, but if your a beginner it might be OK to use. // 3

Sound: I tested this with a Squier Stratocaster Standard and an Epiphone Les Paul 100. With the limited controls, you can barely get a tone variety. Sound is OK. Distortion isn't great, mainly because it can't control the Gain. It also gets louder when distortion is turned on, and there's no addition volume toggle for it. So switching from clean to distorted in one song isn't practical. However the clean channel works great. It's surprisingly loud for a 10-watt amp. But Nothing you could take to perform with. Like I said, barely suitable for a practice amp. // 6

Reliability & Durability: I would Not depend on this amp for even a 10 person crowd. It is solely for beginner practice only. It's durability is prefect as far as the amp, but not the speaker. If you turn it above 5 on volume, it will break in a matter of seconds. Anything below that should be OK though. // 3

Overall Impression: This was personally the first amp I ever played trough. I had alot of fun with it as a beginner, but as I got more experienced and tried out many many other amps, I outgrew it quickly. If it were stolen, lost, etc. I wouldn't buy it again. In fact I traded it in to the music store. Since I knew him well he gave me $40 for it, but otherwise I probably would've gotten $10. I would solely recommend this amp to beginners only. // 5

More Fender reviews rating category latest review
+ Kurt Cobain Jaguar 8.6 Electric Guitars 06/20/2014