Studio 85 Review

manufacturer: Fender date: 07/04/2013 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Fender: Studio 85
I play blues and classic rock and this amp is the perfect match for it. I've been playing for 40 years and this is one of the top amps that I have ever had the privilege to own.
 9.5
review (1) pictures (1) user comments vote for this gear:
Studio 85 Reviewed by: jeffo46, on july 04, 2013

Purchased from: Craig's List

Features: Mine is a 1988 model which was made right here in the good ole USA. It is a 2 channel, 65 watt combo which has Volume, Treble, Mid, Bass, and reverb on the Clean channel while the Gain has controls for the Gain, Mid boost, limiter, Presence, and Volume along with a button for switch the 2 channels. There are inputs for a footswitch, Pre-Amp, Power Amp, and headphones. Plus it does have 2 Input jacks for your guitar and a 12" inch standard Fender speaker with the classic Fender Red Knobs. I'm guessing that it weighs in at around 35 pounds or so. // 10

Sound: I am using my modified, Squier Affinity Butterscotch Telecaster along with my 2 modified Squier Standard Stratocasters with this amp. I play both Blues and Classic rock with my band and this seems like the perfect amp for that genre of music. On the back of the amp, it says that the output is 200 watts but according to the manual which Fender emailed me yesterday, it actually is 65 watts, which is more reasonable for it's size. This is one very loud amp I musy say and is very clear which is typical of Fender. The Clean on this is absolutely great and will blow away any of Fender's new product, especially those damn Mustang combos. The Gain, while not really what I would use for metal, is very suitable for blues and classic rock, especially if you like bands such as Bad Company, AC/DC, Zeppelin, etc. This has IMO, some of the best sounding gain that I've ever heard from any Fender amp ever! // 10

Reliability & Durability: My amp is in mint condition and it was obvious that the prior owner went to great extremes to take care of it. There are absolutely no flaws at all on the one that I have and it sounds great and I'm sure I could use this at a gig without it breaking down. Seeing that this is American made and 25 years, this speaks volumes of the quality of the product that was coming out of Fender's factory back then. The only thing I did when I got it, was to take out the chassis and spray some contact cleaner in it just to be safe. // 10

Overall Impression: I play Blues and Classic Rock and this amp is the perfect match for it. I've been playing for 40 years and this is one of the top amps that I have ever had the privilege to own. This one is a keeper for sure and is not going anywhere. I got this from some old guy on Craig's List for only $120.00, which was a helluva deal to say the least. This blows away any of Fender's new product IMO, and if you ever happen to come across one of these, pick it up. You will not regret it, you can trust me on that. // 10

More Fender reviews rating category latest review
+ Mustang V (V.2) 9.3 Guitar Amplifiers 12/22/2014