Super-Sonic 112 Combo Review

manufacturer: Fender date: 08/25/2009 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Fender: Super-Sonic 112 Combo
The Supersonic has a dual clean channels, one based on the Fender 1965 Vibrolux and the other based on the 1965 Bassman.
 8.9
 8.5
 9.3
review (1) pictures (2) 13 comments vote for this gear:
Super-Sonic 112 Combo Reviewed by: TheDissident, on august 25, 2009

Features: In 2006, Fender introduced the Supersonic 112 combo all tube amp into the market. Based on the earlier Prosonic model, the Supersonic is an excellent amp that allows players many different options tonally without sacrificing anything players love about the Vintage models. The Supersonic has a dual clean channels, one based on the Fender 1965 Vibrolux and the other based on the 1965 Bassman (both are selectable via included footswitch). Both the Bassman and Vibrolux setting feature dual EQ for more tonal possibilities as well as that classic Fender reverb that these amps are known for. The Burn channel (also selectable via footswitch) provides the player with dual gain knobs for all types of styles, as well as four EQ settings and a separate volume knob. That the Supersonic offers so many tonal possibilites with only nine knobs is icing on the cake. An effects loop is also included (once again, selectable via the footswitch). // 9

Sound: The amp really is an experience to play. The clean amp models sound authentic; that Vintage Fender tube tone comes through beautifully (and that's not a superlative I use lightly in an unbiased review). I play a Fender American Strat and an American Tele through this amp. The Supersonic was clearly made to suit these guitars, as the Vibrolux mixed with the Tele's tone is superb. The clean settings are perfect for my bluesy playing style. As for the gain, the EQ and dual gain knobs can be adjusted to fit a plethora of styles. On max settings, I can get that grunge/hard rock sound I enjoy, and on lower settings, one can even get an Eric Johnson like sustain. However, metalheads may want to give other amps a look, as the Supersonic can't provide the distortion (without separate effects) to appease many. Another small quirk I have with the amp is it's volume. Even at 65 watts, this amp is very loud. Anything past five is almost ear splitting, and is not necessary unless playing moderate sized venues. Usually this wouldn't be a problem, but the Supersonic's Burn channel tends to sound nicer at higher volume settings, meaning that if one wants to practice with the amp is the garage, getting that perfect burn tone may really annoy the neighbors. Though the actual sound is beautiful, the reverb excellent, and the tonal possibilities impressive, these problems are enough to dock some points off the review. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I've owned the amp for quite a while without any problem or hassle. I've read on other sites that people have had problems with the amplifier, though from personal experience I can't say I agree with them. This amp has functioned beautifully from the day I bought it (it was even a floor model for a week or so before I purchased it). I had a minor problem with the foot pedal's button sticking in place, but Fender quickly addressed the problem and I received a replacement that is yet to fail me. I've used the amp for practice in the garage, jamming with other musicians, and playing small to mid sized venues. Though it's heavy to tote around, knowing I have a piece of equipment that functions as it should makes up for it. // 9

Overall Impression: For the blues rock style I enjoy playing, this amp really offers it all for me. The impressive reverb and Fender tube tone insured I was happy with the amp. That it compliments my Strat so excellently is just a bonus. Fender offers the amp in both an Oxblood Blonde and a "Black Pepper" cosmetic treatment, of which I own the blonde, and even the cosmetic treatment is top notch and representational of the guitarist's style. The Supersonic is the only tube amp I own (though a Mesa Boogie 5:50 is readily available at my school) and I'm happy with the purchase. Compared to the Marshall's I tired and the similar priced Mesa, I found the Fender best suited my style and needs for the price. Though I occasionally wish for a little more kick to the gain, or a way to quiet it down a tad, this amp has worked well for me and I certainly recommend it to you. // 8

More Fender reviews rating category latest review
+ Kurt Cobain Jaguar 8.6 Electric Guitars 06/20/2014