Twin Reverb Review

manufacturer: Fender date: 04/23/2012 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Fender: Twin Reverb
The '65 Twin Reverb is an authentic reproduction of the original amp to ride the wild surf, one of the all-time "Hall Of Fame" amplifiers. Clean as you want it to be, with a fatter tone than the butcher's dog.
 Features: 9.4
 9.7
 8.2
reviews (5) pictures (1) 56 comments vote for this gear:
Twin Reverb Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 21, 2004

Features: - Made in 2004 - amp is pure tube power - 4 biggies and 6 small ones - tube has killer reverb and vibrato - 275w output // 10

Sound: As I said pure tube. What else can i say. Iv'e been playin for ~10 years and I haven't had an amp this good since my ~62 Fender bandmaster with the same features; the only difference is that the Twin is compacted into one unit. This amp sounds awesome with my Fender strat and my gibson lespaul. And does good with distortion from my x series hot rod. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This amp has never broken down and ive had it for 2 years and ive done some heavy gigs. I never bring a backup. This thing can blow my drummer through the roof and it even lets him take the roof with him. // 10

Overall Impression: I play mostly punk, classic rock, metal on this amp. It doesn't show any feedback unless you give it a mic. If it were stolen id kill the guy who took it by smashing the amp over his head and use his life insurance to buy a new one. I love everything about this amp A++ for anybody. It does every style with any guitar perfect club amp. // 10

Twin Reverb Reviewed by: JayLacelle, on june 25, 2009

Price paid: C$ 950

Features: To be clear, this review is for the 1965 Twin Reverb Reissue. This is part of Fender's "blackfaced" period all-tube amps. My amp was made in 2005. This amp is a meat and potatoes amp, you get two clean channels each with 3 bands EQ and a bright Switch, only one has tube-driver reverb and tremolo/vibrato. No built in overdrive (except natural breakup when you crank volume to 10, which you will probably never do unless your playing an arena show with no PA). It has a standby Switch, no FX loop, no headphone jack, and external speaker jack (to connect to an extension cab), and the only thing it came with was a Vintage style footswitch to turn on and off the reverb and vibrato. // 9

Sound: I have several guitars I play through this thing...and I play almost every type of music out there. Because there is no built in OD/distortion you will need a diverse pedal board in order to get many different sounds from it. This amp is meant to achieve one thing: the perfect clean tone. Many famous guitarists including Eric Clapton, David Gilmour and the edge have said that the first step in getting the perfect guitar tone is a good clean sound to start with. This amp has such a beautiful ringing clean sound that every effect you use on top of it sounds world class. For jazz I just use the natural sound of the amp, no pedals. For blues I use a modded Ibanez ts9 to give the amp a little bite. For rock I use either my Boss ds-1 or my EHX little big muff, depending on what I'm playing. I don't use the vibrato very much, but the reverb is the best you will ever hear. Anywhere past 5 on the reverb and it sounds really "wet"...good for surf but not my taste. Personally I set the reverb at about 3 or 4 and get a beautiful warm echoing tone. This amp sounds best when you can really crank the volume...it's got TONS of clean headroom and the tone gets warmer and fuller the louder it gets. I give it a perfect 10 because it is the best clean setting I have ever heard in a guitar amp. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Haven't gigged with it yet, but I am definitely going to. I just can't wait to be able to crank this thing. I would gig without a backup. This amp is really heavy so I'm guessing it would be pretty tough to break this thing. The only part you have to be careful of is the tube shield at the back. As long as you don't kick it or throw it out of a hotel window it should be fine. // 10

Overall Impression: I will probably own this amp till I die. I love everything about this amp. With a Strat and a tubescreamer this amp sounds amazing. In my opinion I prefer the sound of a clean amp with high-end pedals than a marshall/mesa/peavey with built-in OD. If you are planning on buying one of these just try it out for yourself. I promise if you are looking for a good clean tone with plenty of volume and clean headroom you will fall in love with this amp. // 10

Twin Reverb Reviewed by: RichClarke, on august 18, 2009

Purchased from: Private Sale

Features: The amp was made in 1981, 11 years older than I am! This is the cleanest amp I've ever heard and quite possibly the loudest I've ever used! Two guitar inputs and two other inputs (not sure what for!) I use this amp in my bedroom, but very shortly it'll be coming out on gigs. It's a tube amp, so takes a little while to warm up, but when it's warm, it's a beauty! // 10

Sound: When I put my 2009 Standard Stratocaster through it on a clean setting, every note sings. The reverb is fantastic, the best I've ever heard. I can't put it above 2 in my bedroom, otherwise my ears start to Hurt. I would say 6 would be the loudest you'd need to put it to for a average sized gig. It's a 100% clean channel, but as it's an older Twin, you can pull the master volume knob out slightly to give the amp an edge of distortion. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It's a tank. A solid cabinet with the bonus of wheels on the bottom as it's very, very heavy. Obviously, the tubes will need replacing every now and then. They're not expensive either. I will use this amp for the rest of my life. The only other amp I'd consider is the Marshall Bluesbreaker. // 10

Overall Impression: The perfect amp. Gives you that Stevie Ray Vaughan tone, especially with a tubescreamer through it! Quite good for Reggae too, as I was playing around with some Bob Marley earlier, and it sounded real nice. I'd buy this amp all day long over any other. It would be nice if it had the overdrive channel and footswitch that comes with the blues deluxe, but you can't have everything! // 10

Twin Reverb Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 23, 2012

Purchased from: zzounds

Features: Features you ask? How about absolute fat tone and enormous headroom. The best reverb in the business and a killer vibrato. I've owned many amps from the Boogies to the Mesa's. If you know amps, you`ll know what that means. Marshall JCM 900's, Mark 2 B's, Rivera, etc. I've also played through those $2000.00 heads along with the Brit's. Those amps are good amps but not a bit better than the Twin. // 10

Sound: I use an American Strat through the amp. I have single coil, single coil, humbucker. Too many reviews state that this amp is not for metal or heavy rock. I just don`t get that remark,.. unless they are ammatures. You can use your pedals through this amp just as you would any other and get whatever grunge you would like. To state that this amp is "NOT" for anything is communist. The other thing is the negative remarks about a distortion channel. I don't know any pro players who would use an amps distortion channel unless while in conjunction with their personal preference of pedals. I for one, never use a distortion channel on an amp. I always use my pedals through the clean channel. To me, this attribute that the Twin incorporates is a sound one. Why have a distortion channel? I play blues, rock, funk, country, metal, jazz, classical, etc.etc.etc. And it's a simple matter of my configuration of pedals to suite whichever genre of music that I am playing. This amp is the standard across the board in the music business. Others strive to get the tone and sound that the Twin Reverb has. // 10

Reliability & Durability: 5 years warranty which will probably never be needed. This amp is a tank. It is heavy but this could be due to it's Fatness. There's nothing weak in this design. Normally the weakest thing about this amp will be the player using it... LOL Anyway, the definition of absolute genius is what the Fender Twin Reverb is. // 10

Overall Impression: The Fender Twin Reverb amplifier is the best in the business. Sure there are others that are great amplifiers. There are amps with bells and whistles, etc. But across the world there have been millions of songs played through the Twin Reverb. There are legendary artists who have used them for decades. So unless you think that they got it wrong, I see no reason to dispute this legendary amplifier. If you want a pro amp, pro tone, pro quality, sustain, etc, etc, etc. Then there`s absolutely no reason to look elsewhere. The Fender Twin Reverb is as good as it gets without a doubt. Others try and many or most fail. This is the one true real deal amplifier on the market that can be counted on to provide awesome tone and volume for years and years. Don't be foolish. P.S. "KEEP THE FUNK ALIVE PEOPLE!" // 10

Twin Reverb Reviewed by: jasonbloss, on may 11, 2010

Features: The Twin reverb, while pricey, is surprisingly not too complex. The amp consists of only two seperate channels, both of which are clean. One channel is "normal" containing two input jacks and volume, treble, middle, and bass knobs. The other is the "vibrato" channel, where the real meat of the amp is. Here you have your reverb settings, along with tremelo speed and intensity. If you use the foot Switch that comes with the amp, there's really no need to use the "normal" channel on the amp, as with the Switch you can manipulate reverb. And even though it's only packing two 12 inch speakers, this amp has ear splitting volume, especially if the tubes are changed to your liking. // 8

Sound: The Twin is easily one of the cleanest sounding amps any guitar player will ever play. While the volume is loud, that's not what's most important. The tone of the amp is gorgeous and since it is only a clean amp, adding pedals to the mix makes that tone breathe. Depending on what kind of guitar you're using (strat for me) there's never been a problem with buzzing or any other issue. It plays wonderfully in all environments and is quite versatile concerning what style of music you like to play. However, it does not suit all styles. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This thing is a beast, for sure. It feels like it weighs a ton, which can be annoying at times, but it's definitely durable and reliable. Never has the amp broken down on me, and I changed the tubes only because of personal preference. Really the tubes inside were already great. I have a backup, but I don't think I'd ever need it if I gigged with the twin. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, the Twin Reverb is a fine piece of equipment from Fender, but there is one issue that anyone must think about before purchasing. When I bought this amp back in 2006, I was really into classic and alternative rock, which was perfect. However, being a normal person, I have changed my playing style in the complete opposite direction. I am a doom metal fanatic now, and the Twin IS NOT suitable for any form of metal. It really is a drag, because I dropped so much for this. But I simply cannot deny how beautiful this amp sounds and how powerful it is. If it did get stolen, I must admit I would invest in a different tube amp, but if you love anything but metal, you just can't go wrong here. // 8

More Fender reviews rating category latest review
+ DG-20S 8.3 Acoustic Guitars 07/29/2014