Ultimate Chorus DSP Review

manufacturer: Fender date: 12/09/2005 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Fender: Ultimate Chorus DSP
Not an effects box with speakers, but a real guitar amp! Complete palette of digital effects like reverb, delay, chorus, and flange. It's all stereo, it's reliable, and it's toneful!
 Reliability & Durability: 8.7
 Features: 7.8
 7.9
 7.8
reviews (6) 7 comments vote for this gear:
Ultimate Chorus DSP Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 20, 2005

Purchased from: True Spirit Music

Features: This amp features a 2 x 12 Fender speaker each pumping out 65 watts and a combines 130 watts of loud sound. I'm not sure when this amp was made but considering it specialises in chorus I'm gathering late '80s or early '90s but I could be wrong. This amp is strong and can take any sound at any volume through its speakers. It has 2 drive channels, normal (clean) and overdrive and a chorus channel. Stereo and mono effects loop. This amp is loud and is very sutible for gigging anywhere which is teh exact reason why I looked around to find this amp and discovered that it was convieniently in the music shop closest to me. // 10

Sound: I use a Fender Mexican Strat with not teh best pickups in the world and a Zoom 606 guitar multi effect pedal, and this amo delivers great sound with it all combined together. The volume knob on the normal channel (clean) is so sensitive, you turn to about half way between 0-1 and its loud enough for practice to be at a gig and on about number 4 is the loudest I wud use for a gig. The sound it greta and a very large and broad sound on the clean channel great for the neck and brigde pick ups. No matter how loud you have it the normal channel never sounds distorted at high volumes. The EQ feature the standard bass, treble and mid with sounds great personaly for me with treble - 6, mid - 7 and bass - 7. The drive channel however sound abit small even if teh volume is to its max. There not enough power being delivered from it though it sounds good for blues and classic. The chorus sounds very good with a very handy light beside the chorus panel telling the wave frequency with you can change by the rate knob. Changing the strengt of teh chorus is by using the depth knob and overall sounds great, yet sounds like any other chorus you get on amps but has a that little boost to make it sound like your guitar is speaking out with a great tone and character. I've never reacived any buzz coming from the amp, the only buss is from my pedal and my totally s--t pickup with you have to pount either north or south to make them shut up. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This amp will never let you donw at a gig, it's louder than and broader than most half stacks can ever reach. It's loud for that extra burst in uplifting songs and for metal head and dream for a cheap price aswell. It has not broken down on me, though I've only had for a couple of weeks, but it sencond hand and theres no signed of any repair gone on to it so its very reliable for any situation. // 10

Overall Impression: I play indie, punk, metal, funk and other sytle my band I'm sure have made up but even so this amps provides great response to them all, with a help of a pedal you have a great set up ready to play towards anyone or any size being its so loud and reliable. I've been playing for about 2 and 1/2 years and have become very god at playing and in my time have actualy had about 4 different amps for gigging, 3 practice and 4 guitars and this amp stands above them all. The thing I love about this amp is its capability to produce a very loud, strong broad sound with the best EQ panel quality and variet I have ever come across. Overall I would recomend this amp toe absolutly everybody for any stlye because it can take any sounds high and low, quiet and loud, trebble and bass. Anything will go guitar, even dogdy mexican strat pickups. // 10

Ultimate Chorus DSP Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 09, 2005

Purchased from: guitar centre

Features: 2002, 2 channels, switching, efects, I wish this thing had 10 more watts per side, I use it in bars, small clubs, it just dont have the nuts to play larger gigs unless you mic it, people who say its very, very loud never had a Twin, daville, or somthing of that magnetudedoes sound great, but in a club you have to turn the bass down to 4 and mids and treble on 7 or 8 to get a good mix, as for delay, would like to see 2 more settings 1.5 and 2.5 that would do it. // 7

Sound: I use a Gibson Les Paul, and a American Deluxe, play country, classic rock. It sound very good but with the paul it starts sounding like a blown speaker at high volume, no problem with the Strat. Oh and you cant use much bass cause it gets way to muddy. Clean and distotion sounds very good. // 7

Reliability & Durability: It is dependable, depending on the size of th gig, definately for smaller gigs, sounds great for a do it all amp and is lite to. // 8

Overall Impression: Been playing for 20 years, lots of gear. If it were stolen? If I could find a good deal sure it's not a bad amp, just not as loud as some people say. That loud gets sucked up quick in a bar. I choose this as a second amp cause of price, lite, efects, good all in one amp and does it all pretty darn good. // 7

Ultimate Chorus DSP Reviewed by: UG Team, on july 23, 2003

Purchased from: Pianos and Stuff

Features: I really like the amp a lot. I bought it a month or so ago and it hasn't failed me yet. Haven't gone to any gigs yet but it's pretty darn loud on 2. Also has 4 different reverbs and a whole lot of chorus types and flange too. All dsp. Its a stereo amp, just really need one thing and thats a headphone jack so i can play late. // 8

Sound: Right now I use either a standard Fender Strat with it and it's got the s/s/s pickup config. Sounds really really great. I can play blues to metal and it sounds great when I play either. Its really great for my style. So far the clean channel is awesome at any volume sounds very clear. The distortion is very versatile, you can have a crunchy metal tone or a smooth blues tone or the punk distortion. The chorus and flange just add to the overall greatness of the amp. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I really think that this amp is very dependable and you dont have to worry about teh power cord because it unplugs fromt the amp so it doesn't have to sit in the back of you amp when its not in use. I havent had any problems with the amp so far. // 10

Overall Impression: Ive been playing for 3 years and I havent played an amp yet that sounded like this one. It suits all styles of playing, alternative, jazz, blues, rock, metal. One of the best i've ever played. // 10

Ultimate Chorus DSP Reviewed by: DOUG, on july 25, 2003

Features: This amp has an effects loop, 2 foot switchable channels, built in chorus (also foot switchable) and 65x2 watts of solid state power. // 6

Sound: I have used this amp with virtually every guitar I own (over 30 of them,) and in my opinion, this amp is exactly what it was designed to be a cheap, solid state, fenderish amp with the exact type of chorus effect you would expect to be built into an amp. I don't mean to sound too terribly harsh, it's just that in this day of tube emulation and amp modeling, for a company as reputable as Fender to produce an amp that is so extremely mediocre is kind of sad. If you're looking for a good loud amp to jam with in a garage, this is definatly an option. If you're looking for pro-quality gear... keep looking. // 4

Reliability & Durability: It's a Fender solid state amp, which, on the bright side means that it's built like a Sherman Tank. I used to use this as a gig amp when I wasn't playing anywhere I really cared about because if it got totalled I wouldn't have been that concerned. I'm giving this amp it's highest score in reliability due in large part to the fact that, like the tone or not, it's gonna sound the same even if you drop it off the back of your van (which i have). // 10

Overall Impression: I've been playing music since i was 5, been playing guitar for nearly 15 years, and this is probably the one piece of equiptment that I wouldn't bother replacing if it were lost or stolen. What I love about this amp (it's durrability) isn't enough to cover for what I don't like. It is, at best, a mediocre amp with too much power to really be able to push it in a home or recording environment. Remember kids louder does NOT equal better. This is the ONLY amp I've ever gigged with that had more than 50 watts of power, and it's the only amp that I own that I don't really care about. How sad is it when, honestly, the nicest feature that I feel the amp has, is castors. // 4

Ultimate Chorus DSP Reviewed by: matt, on july 25, 2003

Features: A very versatile amp. I play everything from heavy metal to blues and soft rock. The chorus sounds amazing coming out of this amp. It is extremely loud (I dont even bring it past "1" on the voume control) // 10

Sound: It usually has a very clean undistorted sound. I think the bult in ditstortion is a little feedbacky, and I dont really use it. I run a Boss ME-30 through it right now and it can handle whatever effects I throw at it and it sounds great. I reccomend a seperate distortion pedal rather than the stock distortion built in. The clean sound with when I play through it with my Fender strat is amazing. Then I use my Ibanez for the tight metal shredding and it doesnt give me any strange feedback or shady noises and I play it loud all the time. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have been playing with this amp for almost 5 year now. I have put this thing through HELL and back and it has never failed me ONCE. Not had one problem since my dad purchased it the warranty is over now and still sounds as good as the day bought. Exceptional reliability and I would definately use it as a backup amp on stage. // 10

Overall Impression: I have been playing for 6 years. I have an old Peavey amp, a Fender strat, an Ibanez RG270DX, a Boss ME-30, a crybaby wah pedal. I love the clean sound out of the amp more than anything and the chorus. I wish the distortion could meet my needs a little more. I would reccomend this amp to anyone looking for a loud, clean, reliable amp you wont regret it. // 10

Ultimate Chorus DSP Reviewed by: AAF_Bizkit, on july 25, 2003

Features: The features were "OK", The Flanger barley "flanged", but the Chorus and Reverb Were Superb. // 6

Sound: The Clean Channel was very bright and has to be the best clean channel i have even played on, but the distortion, "fhew", Crap, they say it is a vintage tube simulator. If a tube amp sounded this bad, i would rather play a Rogue amp. And when you turn it up all the way, it shook sooo much, the shaking was louder than the amp itself!!! // 6

Reliability & Durability: The speakers blew about 9 times (literally), and i could not deal with it. // 4

Overall Impression: I have been playing for a Year and a 1/2, i Have a Ibanez GRX20ZBK, Rogue 4-String bass, Aria 12-String Acoustic, A Washburn 6-String Acoustic. And I Use a Boss DS-1 Distortion. I Play: Skate Punk, Hardcore, Heavy Metal, Speed Metal, Nu Metal, and EMO // 2

More Fender reviews rating category latest review
+ Jaguar HH Special 8.2 Electric Guitars 11/12/2014