GG-25 Review

7.5
 8.1
reviews (4) pictures (1) 10 comments vote for this gear:
GG-25 Reviewed by: TheBax, on june 23, 2008

Features: I don't know which year this amp was made in, because I just bought it from a friend. The amp isn't really versatile, it's just a simple solid state amp. Just maily like AC/DC, Black Sabbath types of sounds, like old overdriven, rock sounds. It does not have channel switching, just one channel (clean, but if you turn it up, it sort of breaks up). No effects loop. It does however have a headphone jack. It's a pretty good amp for bedroom practice, but you'll never use it with a drummer. // 6

Sound: Well right now, I'm just using a Fender Starcaster, with stock pickups, and it sounds pretty ok for a little practice amp. I got this amp back when I played a lot of Black Sabbath, and to be honest, it sounded pretty darn close. It gets a fair amound of feedback when you turn it all the way up, but nothing harsh. As for variety, eh, not here. But like I said, it's got that older, overdriven rock sound to it, and that's about it. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This is a pretty good amp, but I'm never going to gig with it, it's just a good starter amp. If I were to gig with it, I wouldn't worry at all about anything going wrong with this amp, this thing is tough. But I've never had any problems with it, and it was prett old when I got it about a year back. I've got pics in my profile if you care to look. // 10

Overall Impression: As I've said before, starter amp, but overall, I'm made a decent choice. Good older rock sound. This amp sounds pretty good, and handles pedals well, my Bad Monkey sounds great on this amp. If it were stole/lost, it wouldn't break my heart, I'd only be said because it has memories, but I've got better amps. // 8

GG-25 Reviewed by: Syv, on november 17, 2008

Features: I have no idea what year this amp was made in, but judging from the condition of mine it's easily over a few years old. This amp is pretty straightforward as it's only a little practice amp and has a single speaker, input jack, volume, "MST" volume, 3 knob EQ(low, mid, high), a clean channel and a Switch labeled "TubeStack" to turn on overdrive/distortion (although the title would imply the amp is a Tube amp, I have yet to find any inside the amp). The back has a line out port and a headphone jack. I think it was obviously designed to be just an affordable practice amp for beginners(and it sure was for me), so it's lack of features isn't too much of a problem. I use it in my living room, where I practice, and it has plenty of power for this. // 7

Sound: I've used this amp almost exclusively with my Ibanez RG5EX1, which I use to play everything from classical, death metal, blues, hard rock, alt rock, you name it. I'm not an effects-heavy player so distortion is usually the only thing I need, and the distortion on this amp is decent enough to play most hard rock/early metal stuff. I do however, have a Boss Metal Zone and Chorus Ensemble which make up for the lack of features on this amp. Clean is nice and clear, not amazing, but not awful either. It can handle loud volumes decently though, and doesn't lose tonal quality as you get louder. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Unfortunately, the particular amp looks like it spent some time back in 'Nam(but for the price, can't complain really), so I can't judge how it would be had I gotten it new. Since I got it I have taken pretty good care of it and it's flown with me on a trip all the way down to Florida and back up to Virginia with no problems. The only thing is that with mine I have to have it at a certain setting; all the EQ knobs have to be around 12, as well as my MST vol and only then can I have any sort of control over the volume. It hasn't broken down, but it can kind of sputter at times to the point where the volume knob does nothing really, until it "settles down". I would of course not gig with this without a backup(I would be hesitant even use this as my backup), unless the venue was something like a small room. Although I did once use mine to play in a video for a school project and despite the gnawing fear I felt it ended up working fine(with my pedals). // 6

Overall Impression: As I said before, my playing style varies and I have been playing for about a year. At the moment I own a Line 6 Spider III 120, although I am thinking of changing this for another amp. Because this amp is designed to be a cheap practice amp, it does what it was meant to fairly well, in my opinion. If it were stolen I think it would be somewhat funny that someone would steal my crappy little amp, although I am sort of attached to it since that's what I started out on. As I said before, it does what it was meant to and it does it well, and for a guitarist taking their first few steps into The Music world, this is great to have. // 8

GG-25 Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 19, 2013

Features: The GG-25 was made in the mid 80's. It's claimed to be 25 watts. All Solid State. 8" Speaker. 120V AC, or alternatively DC/battery power with adapter. Headphone jack for private practice. Single Channel, Gain, Master Volume, 3 band tone stack. Volume is adequate, power is fair. There's an overdrive switch labeled "Tube Stack"... (yeah right). This unit is likely marketed to rock musicians. Black Tolex cover, Rubber handle, press board cabinet. Metal corners. All things considered, the design is smart. The knobs are recessed enough that they won't get broken off if it bumps the wall. I assume they were going for toughness as well as function. // 5

Sound: I have tried it with LP's SG's and Gretsch. Works ok with all. The clean sound is pretty clean... With the gain at half, it compresses some. Doesn't sound bad at all. I was honestly expecting this to be a total joke... Yet it's actually pretty usable for practice or studio play. It's not noisy, but when turning on the "Tube Stack" switch (overdrive) it makes a POP! The general consensus is, Clean is clean, Distortion is heavy rock. It has a decent volume... About the same as the 8" 10w tube amps I have hanging around. For how cheap these are, they actually sound pretty good. I actually feel weird giving a good review to something this inexpensive, but it's one of the best little student amps I've come across. // 7

Reliability & Durability: It's 25 years old, yet all it needed were the pots cleaned... Thus, I'd say it was built pretty well considering. It's a PC board, and the solder joints were all clean, and all components looked in good shape. It was made of pretty good materials. Across the board, I've heard similar things about these amps. They generally hold up, and all they need is the occasional pot cleaning. I don't think it will ever be collectable, but it should continue to make music for quite some time. If my guess is right, it's a lower voltage DC circuit inside... // 8

Overall Impression: As a practice amp for Rock... Sure. As a student amp... Sure. Clean tones... Sure. It gets clobbered by the small tube amps like Gibson GA-5, But those cost over 10x the price. Comparing it to practice/student amps from Epi, Fender/Squire, etc... It's a pretty good value. It sounds pretty good for the size. I've asked other musicians a bit older than me about these. (I started playing in 2001). And many have said "Yeah... Everyone who started in the 80's had one of those." and I also heard lots of "Shouldn't have sold it" comments. It's overall a decent little amp. Video from YouTube:

// 8

GG-25 Reviewed by: Tyrannosaur, on january 15, 2014

Features: I have read some of the reviews for this little beast and decided to add my two cents worth, even at the risk of dating myself. This amplifier is a great practice amp. Not much to it with five controls; Volume (Gain), Master Volume, Tone, Middle and Bass. The Tube Stack feature is the solid state overdrive feature that gives you that 70's crunch that most beginners beg for when starting out. My parents gave me this amp as a Christmas present in 1986 that I still have to this day. This was the perfect starter/practice amp because it is lightweight, portable, and ruggad and it handled mild abuse without harming the amps operation or a knocking anything loose off the circuit board. A solidly built product compared to others I have owned after this amp. This a the main reason I set my rating slightly higher than other reviews, however, you will not use it for a jam session with a band although you could use it in a Starbucks or other coffee shop gig (explanation forthcoming). // 7

Sound: When I started out I was all into heavy metal and hard rock. I stopped playing for many years and recently start again, so I play (or try to) just about whatever comes to mind. I recently bought a Fender Stratocaster and pulled this old beast out of storage. After some minor maintenance (which I will elaborate in the next section) I plug my Start in and played for hours! This amp has a very good clean sound and the Tub Stack did not disappoint either. The amp did not crack or pop when I raised the volume to as loud as it could go, it sustained the sound very well without any annoying feedback unless I intentionally wanted it. I took it a step further and plugged in my Fender Hellcat 12 string guitar and was delightfully surprised how well the guitar sounded through the amp! I was able to set the controls to get the balanced sound I wanted. The frequency range of the amp handled the acoustic sounds far beyond my expectations! I was able to experiment with a very wide range of sounds. Rich to full and bright. Turn the Tube Stack on and your acoustic will sound electric if you desire. This amp would be ideal for one to use at a coffee house gig if you only plan to use an acoustic because of its lightweight portability and ability to handle acoustics. Back when I was given this amp most people had to use a mic for acoustics so I doubt this amp was designed with acoustics in mind. Surprisingly this little amp turned out to be a tad bit more than a two dimensional practice amp! // 7

Reliability & Durability: As I stated earlier, this amp can handle some abuse. I took it with me onboard 2 ships when I was I the navy, traveling between duty stations, and moving from one state to another until I finally settled down and had to make a living and put it in storage. After a few years of just sitting I recently pulled it out. The first time I tried to use it the amp cracked, popped and made loud static-like sounds... unusable. (This is where the minor maintenance comes into play.) I took the amp apart and cleaned the variable resistors with contact cleaner. I also took the opportunity to inspect the circuit board and all components, solder connections, and foil runs and in excellent condition. Knowing what unintentional abuse this amp has seen in the past I was stunned that everything looked as well as it did. This is a tough, solidly built amp made to last, and this one is nearly 30 years old! With that being said, and the fact I have owned this amp for more than half of my life, it has lasted longer that other amps I have owned in the past that were not subjected to the same abuse and conditions this Gorilla has endured. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall impression is that this is a good buy for your money. I know that Pignose bought the Gorilla line and that there are still some floating around out there somewhere. It is a great starter for beginners or perfect for people who just want to make some "noise." The fact that you can effectively use an acoustic guitar with the amp only adds to the appeal because I doubt this amp was designed for used with acoustics when they were in mass production. I have read in one review that some people has one of these amps and regret having sold it and I can see why. This amp may not be on the level like a Peavey, Gibson, or Fender with their built in effects... but once you own one you do get attached because it does its job and does it well. I don't plan on parting with mine even if I only use it for my 12 string! // 8

Comments