HBAC-30 Review

review (1) pictures (1) 7 comments vote for this gear:
HBAC-30 Reviewed by: Rallad, on february 08, 2011

Price paid: € 85

Purchased from: Thomann

Features: This is a small 30-watt solid state Harley Benton amplifier it's main feature being it runs on a battery. (The amp claims to run for up to 8 hours, it really lasts, for bedroom use it would last me a week before needing a re-charge. The first thing I had noticed when I had first tried it out it that it's a loud little bugger, I even use it for band practice sometimes! It features british EQ and it has a tone knob provides some light overdrive which is a nice thing to have. It has two inputs, which is very useful which are ideal for another instrument (as long as it's not cranked) or a vocalist. There is also a headphone output jack. For an inexpensive portable amplifier I'm quite satified with what it has to offer. // 8

Sound: The sound, keeping in mind the type of amp this is, is satfactory. The cleans are good, the 'tone' is a nice feature, as I already said, but it's quite light. I've used my Boss ML 2 with it and it's given off a good sound for what it is. I also used it sometimes as a keyboard amp, not bad. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This amp seems dependable enough...for the price I wouldn't really expect more. A fault I had found with it is it's battery system. Apperently, you never have to let the battert go flat, but when it's at around 10% you have to re-charge it. Failing to do that (happened to me) the led charge indicator refused to light until a couple of hours...and I'm sure the battery wasn't very happy about it. // 7

Overall Impression: This amp seems to be mainly for accoustic guitar, altough I've used it for some thrash metal practice and it works just fine for rock/heavy metal with a distortion/OD pedal. Obviously it will do for other contemporary styles. Having said that with keeping in mind it's main use if for using at sites without electricity, which makes it ideal for playing at outdoor activities like picnics, busking ect... Something I would like to point out is, that this amplfier can be really LOUD. So for normal practice I'd bet a 10W what do the trick well. I was planning on taking it to regular trips to school but firstly it's very heavy, so you'll easily tire of carrying it around, and it's way louder than I immagined. I wish the charging system would be a bit better and if it weren't so heavy I'd lug it around a lot more than I do. // 7

More Harley Benton reviews rating category latest review