Panther P200 Review

manufacturer: Hohner date: 12/22/2008 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Hohner: Panther P200
This amp is only good for clean sounds, overdrive and treble make the entire thing sound cheap.
 6.4
 5.6
 7.2
reviews (2) user comments vote for this gear:
Panther P200 Reviewed by: MetalNick, on february 27, 2006

Features: Amp was bought from someone who got if from his uncle, he lated admitted, and his uncle got it from a friend, so I have no clue how old it is. This amp is only good for clean sounds if you ask me, overdrive and treble make the entire thing sound cheap. I always keep everything but volume, master and middle on 0. I use it at home, since my fellow guitarist in my band has a proper amp with 2 entries. It's got enough power to give me some official warnings from the police tough. // 6

Sound: I use my Stagg X300, fake Strat and a semi-electric. I does not really fit metal and punk as a amp alone, but it handles effects very well. As I said the amp is only good for clean tones on its own. It has only got one bit overdriven channel. Distortion? Don't make me laugh, I'm glad I got my Boss effects. // 4

Reliability & Durability: It is very rely-able, I don't know how many times it fell over in my dad's MPV taking me to guitar lessons. I haven't gigged with it, it lacks tone for it acctually. // 9

Overall Impression: It doesn't match what I'm playing very well, I got it for something that would be concidered about enough with it's quality rating. But still I love this amp. It handles cleans so good, and I need that sometimes. But, if you would give me money for a good tube amp, I would glady throw it out of the window. // 6

Panther P200 Reviewed by: gonX, on december 22, 2008

Features: The year the amp was made in is not really known to me. I've tried looking around on it, and by looking at some of the stickers, I would say it's from the late 90's. In versatility it doesn't really score that many points, because it has what most amps has - volume, 3-point EQ and input. I nearly forgot to mention the headphone circuit, which is a complete joke. I don't know about other amps, but this amp gives you the guitar sound, in one side of the headphones. I nearly killed myself when I figured that out. It also has a distortion knob - which sounds a bit Fender-ish. I haven't had a chance to test both of the channels, as it can only be controlled by a pedal, which I firstly don't have, and the jack in the back seems to have hidden itself inside the amp. // 4

Sound: Together with a Hohner ST Special with no-name SC pickups, this acutally makes a decent tone for blues and rock. I would not recommend it for metal in any way though. It doesn't really suit my music style without a pedal, and I usually play metal. Depending on the guitar, it can also be quite noisy. On my single-coil strat it's a bit noisy, but it is in a room with a couple of computers usually running, so that could have something to do with it. Distortion wise, this isn't a very good choice. I've seen MUCH better amps for metal and other harder channels. Clean is decent, but too muddy for me. You can have a distortion on-the-cheap by maxing your distortion channel, input channel and putting the master volume to your desired level. // 4

Reliability & Durability: It seems pretty reliable, has round metalized corners and I doubt it would break down. The plastic knobs has fallen off a couple of times, but you can still adjust it, it's just more painful. // 7

Overall Impression: Overall I don't think this amp is for metal at all. No one ever said that, but don't even consider this (even if it's a gift) to buy this to a relative/friend. It was my first amp, and even after 2 years I'm not able to get any good sound out of it (I'm using computer amp modeling software instead). If this was stolen, I wouldn't even bother getting it back. I really wished it had a more metal distortion. // 4

More Hohner reviews rating category latest review
+ MR800 5.9 Electric Guitars 04/25/2013