TBX15R Review

reviews (3) 4 comments vote for this gear:
TBX15R Reviewed by: ShallowEndings, on december 25, 2008

Price paid: A$ 199

Purchased from: Cheapa Music

Features: This amp is probably the most versatile solid state practise amp I've ever tried out, tone wise that is. The TBX was freshly made in 2008, and can produce sounds mixed from metal, rock or anything with a good tone to it. It came with a sticker which features settings on tones like ' High voltage distortion, metal, O.D blues and clean. It is a 2 channel amp. Normal/Clean and X, with a handy little EQ. I rarely use the clean channel. And since it's a practise amp I don't expect it to have a footswitch or anything like that. // 9

Sound: With this amp, I use an Ibanez RGR421EXFM with stock V7 V8 pickups. These 2 go hand in hand for superb sounds. I play anything from metal to rock and all in between. Of course you wont get an exact loudness, but just remember it's a practise amp, not a 400 watt cab. If the gain is all the way up, it has quiet a bit of feedback, but it's not really that enjoyable all the way up, which I normally keep it about 3/4 of the way, maybe a bit less. This amp is used in my room and I don't really have it loud, but for 15 watts this thing can pack a punch when it comes to volume. Like I said I don't use the clean channel much, as for most of the TBX range, they haven't really been known for clean sounds, so if that's wat you want - clean, maybe look for another amp. that's not to say the clean sucks, but it's something you should try before you buy. The best thing on this amp is the distortion!! It hits you in the face so hard. it's wat makes this amp so enjoyable. Also this particular model has reverb. I don't really use it to much though. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Would i gig with it? Proably not, because its a 15 watt practise amp, but it could just be mic'd. Maybe if i was practicing a song for school or something, or playing it for a performance, i couldnt see why not, because it is pretty loud. This amp hasnt broken down, and i can't really see it breaking down either. Its built like a tank, a bit heavy but not over the top. Its about 3 months old and hasn't had any incidents so its all good. // 9

Overall Impression: As said about 2 times before, it's not an amp for cleans. If you play country, don't get it. Choose a Fender or something known for that genre. If you want something to practise your favourite songs, or writing your own rock songs, get this amp. Play metal? Even better. I've played for a fair bit now and I can tell you this amp is worth the money. I own the Ibanez RGR421EXFM, as well as the matching hardcase for RG models. And the other essentials. As for asking stuff, no, I've researched amps and guitars for about 2 years now, and I always had my eyes on 100 watt amps, but I saw someones comment one time that said there's no need for a 100 watt amp. And I took that and now I realise it's true. it's fairly cheap, and you can upgrade to something with more power later on. Stolen?? I'd have to say I'd get it again because it's such a versatile practise amp. And if I have more money later on, I'm hoping to get it's big brother, the TBX150H. The thing I love is the distortion, I can't say I neccessarily hate anything about it, because it's a practise amp not a rectifier. I compared it to quiet a lot of amps, big power and little. Randall, Behringer, Ibanez's other amps, and some other stuff. And thought that this amp should be the go. I tried it out at another guitar shop near a relatives, and bought it when I got home because I wasn't having an amp on my arm with me on a train. What I wish it had? Nothing really, I can't expect 4 channels, footswitch, etc etc because I'm happy how it is. // 9

TBX15R Reviewed by: chaoticfables, on january 06, 2010

Purchased from: Online

Features: Made in 2008, China. Ibanez's SS 15-watt practice amp has 2 channels: clean and distorted (x). Very high-gain. Has a headphone jack, basic EQ knobs and you can also plug your iPod or mp3 player into the amp so you can play along to your favourite tracks. This model also has reverb. It has no built-in effects, like delay and flanger - and also has no footswitch. // 7

Sound: I'm using an Ibanez RG220 with Seymour Duncan humbuckers. I play many many genres, from metal to blues. Let me tell you this - it is incredibly loud. For room practice, I use volume level 1 - otherwise it gets way too loud. It can easily overpower drums during practice. The clean channel is my favourite. It has a nice tone - I was actually surprised by the nice warm clean tone. The clean tone has its own gain knob, so you can increase it to get an overdrive kind of sound. The clean can definitely handle funk and blues as well as overdriven kind of cleans for grunge. With a nice amount of reverb, you can get a nice John Frusciante-type tone. Not sure how it would work with jazz. The X-channel (distortion) isn't as good as the cleans, in my opinion. Very, very high gain - suitable for metal, but not much else. Sure, you could play some hard rock with it but that's as far as it goes. Not much variety with the X-channel. Also, like many other SS amps, you can hear hums in this mode. // 7

Reliability & Durability: The thing is built like a tank. You can tell by the looks of it. It even has a closed back, I wouldn't worry about it breaking down. It has not broken down on me yet. I don't think it will for a while. I think I can stay with this amp for a long time. I think it's giggable to some extent. The amp can get very very loud. But for gigs, I'd rather use another amp. // 9

Overall Impression: If you're looking for a cheap but great practice amp, take this one into consideration - especially if you're starting out on guitar. It's a nifty little piece of gear to have. If you're on a tight budget and want to rock hard as soon as possible, buy this amp. I am aware that this amp is much cheaper in America than in New Zealand (which is where I am right now). My favourite feature has to be the clean channel - not a lot of feedback, nice crunch sound on high gain mode... it's almost addictive. Although I would recommend something like the Peavey Vypyr 15W or the Vox VT15, this is a cheap (and great) alternative. I chose this amp because I was on a tight budget. It has its flaws, but it is a nice practice amp. It is in fact one of the loudest practice amps I've tried out - and I've tried out many practice amps. I wish it had effects like many other practice amps such as flanger and delay. Also, it would have been killer with a footswitch. If I were to lose this, I would consider buying it again. But I would rethink my options beforehand. // 8

TBX15R Reviewed by: Sulfur183, on march 04, 2011

Purchased from: musiciansfriend.com

Features: This amp is pretty versatile but its perfect for my styles which are all types of metal. It can do rock no problem and you can even get some decent blues tones out of it. It has two channels: clean and distortion both channels have a gain knob, which is cool because you can turn the gain up on the clean channel and get a great Vintage sounding break up. It also has decent reverb and all the usually EQ and a frequency knob which can really shape you sounds. Its solid state and its perfect for playing in a bedroom or garage but not really powerful enough for a gig. // 9

Sound: I use a Ibanez GRX20 electric guitar that has stock pickups (power sound 1&2). This amp suits my music style which is mostly thrash metal perfectly. Its never noisy unless you turn up the gain REALLY high on the clean channel but if you do that you want that noise for a good old school overdriven sound. Its also noisy if you have high gain and high volume on the dirty channel. The clean doesn't break up at high volumes. The distortion can be pretty brutal you just have to get the settings right on the EQ. It can do a mild crunch to bass filled angry distortion a to ice pick trebly bite. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Yes you can definitely depend on this amp it has never given me any trouble at all. Its small to do any real gigging with but I have took it to play in front of 15 people in a small room with out a back up before and its always worked perfectly. // 10

Overall Impression: I play metal and this amp is a perfect match. I've been playing 1 year and I also own a MXR mc-404 mae wah pedal and a Danelectro Cool Cat metal II distortion pedal. If it were stolen I would probably buy another amp with more power to play some gigs with, but if you just want a practice amp this is great. I love that you can choose the frequency and that there is a gain knob on the clean channel There is really nothing to hate about this amp. // 9

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ GRG170DX 8.5 Electric Guitars 12/09/2014