TBX30R Review

manufacturer: Ibanez date: 04/14/2010 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Ibanez: TBX30R
It has two channels clean and X, and It has a little EQ. You can buy a channel switcher for accessory. I wish it had more EQ for both channel.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.5
reviews (2) pictures (1) 1 comment vote for this gear:
TBX30R Reviewed by: JamSessionFreak, on april 14, 2010

Price paid: € 149

Purchased from: Bam Music Center

Features: I bought my amp from a local music store as a first step away from the practice amp I got with my starter pack.It is a typical 30 watt solid state practice amp with the Ibanez high quality. I mostly play rock, RN'R, blues and it pretty much works well for all styles of play. It is what I would call an allround amp. It has 2 channels - Normal and Hot. You can adjust the Treble, Medium, Bass, Reverb, EQ Level (not for each channel) and Gain + Volume for each of the two channels. It also has a MP3/CD jack that I find very usefull if I want to Jam to my own music. Next it has a headphone jack and pedal jack. I sometimes wish it had effects but I compensated for that by buying a cheap multieffects pedal that is working just great with the amp so far. I use the amp for home practice and for small band practice. It definetly doesn't have enough power for large gigs. // 8

Sound: I'm using it with the Ibanez GRX40 with STD-S1/S2 singlecoil pickups and a STD-H3 Hambucker bridge pickup and its working out great so far. It maybe lacks the warm sound you would get from a Crate or Marshall so its best for the metal type of playing and less suitable for blues and RN'R. Apart from being somewhat lacking in the blues section it can basicly cover all the sounds I choose. Anythig from hard rock, metal, country etc., this amp can handle it. The sound stay clean even at the highest volumes and it has pretty nice distortion that isnt too brutal if you set the gain control to maximum, which is in my eyes a plus but if you really like hardcore distortion it can be a bit lacking sometimes. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I can definitely cepend on it. It has never brocken down and the hardware is really heavy duty. It's is still in perfect condition as the day I bought it even though I droped it on the floor a couple of times. It has never needed servicing. All the jacks are in perfect shape and maybe the only problem with it is that the power cable that came with it is a bit short for my taste (1,5 m). Putting this small detail aside its the most reliable amp among those that I have seen. // 10

Overall Impression: This amp is THE amp to buy for metal and still a fairly good amp for warmer styles like blues. I have been playing for around 2 years and this amp is the far most durable among those that I have used. I only wish I had asked how long the power cable is so I would bought longer one. If it were stolen or lost I would probably decide to buy a new one unless if I would have the money available for a Marshall, VOX, Crate... I really love its simplicity and ease of usage. I don't hate anything about it. My favourite feature is the really easy to use channel switch. I compared it to a 30 watt Vox amp and a Ibanez MIMX 30 and in my eyes this amp was the definite alternative as the Vox wasn't loud enough and the MIMX30 had an really digital sound. Before I bought it I wished it had effects but than I reallized that if I buy this amp with a multieffects pedal it would cost me exactly the same if I bought an Ibanez amp with the same power and effects so I decided to buy the TBX30 and a multieffects pedal and I don't regret it one bit. And my opinion: THIS AMP WILL BREAK DOWN THE DAY THAT PIGS FLY. // 9

TBX30R Reviewed by: HellBoy9393, on july 10, 2009

Purchased from: Tom Lee Music

Features: - Made in China - 30W Solid state - Standard EQ control (bass, mids, treble) - 2 channels, clean and X (distortion) - Ability to use Ibanez footswitch (sold separately) - Headphone jack, CD/MP3 input jack. - Fairly versatile, can play good cleans and suits my playing style - Good for home practice, suitable for small gigs - Very good amp for its price All in all, this amp has all the features you would expect in an amp. It takes pedals well (I have an Ibanez WD7 wah pedal hooked up to it). // 9

Sound: I play an Epiphone G-400 (stock pickups) through it and it sounds decent. I wish I had bought a tube amp instead of a solid state. This amp is pretty good for a solid state, but like most SS amps, it sounds very digital and sterile. This amp does however suit all music styles. The feedback is fairly strong, so I get quite a lot of noise at higher gain, though it could just be my pickups. // 6

Reliability & Durability: Very reliable and durable amp. Has never failed on me. It looks very sturdy and hard-wearing. Requires almost zero maintenance, and it full of Ibanez quality. I don't gig but I cannot imagine that this Ibanez amp would ever break down on me. My school has several of these amps for studio use and for small performances and I have yet to see one of them break down. // 9

Overall Impression: This was my first (and my only) amp. It's great value, but even for beginners, I would recommend a low-wattage tube amp to start with. If you're not much of a tone freak and you're short on cash, this is a good buy. I wish I knew about tube amps before I bought this. At the store, I tried out a Line 6 Spider II 15W, and despite the features that the Line 6 boasted, the Toneblaster had more br00tal distortion, which suited my style nicely. All in all, a fairly good amp, but I would not buy this again. // 7

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ RG140 Roadstar II 9 Electric Guitars 08/21/2014