TSA15H Review

9.2
 8.2
reviews (2) pictures (3) 15 comments vote for this gear:
TSA15H Reviewed by: anirban_mandal, on april 28, 2011

Features: Made in China, this amp is all tube with 2 x 12AX7 (Pre) and 2 x 6V6 (Power) tubes. It has a clean channel but there is a switchable TS9 circuit built on the front end. It also has a 6db boost. The signal chain is as follows: TS9; boost; send-return; preamp(along with passive eq); poweramp; transformer; speaker out. Yes, it has an effects loop, which is obvious considering that it has no built in effects. It has a 5 watt triode and 15 w pentode mode switchable easily by a rear panel switch. Really helps when you want to practice in a room with two roomies who listen to hip hop all the time. They can't complain about the sound. The only complain I have about this amp is that the boost could have a control. // 8

Sound: I am using this amp through the Ibanez TSA112C cabinet. I am using Cort X-11, which goes to a Boss NS-2, and then to a BD-2; digitech hardwire Tl2; to amp; effects loop (back to NS2; Boss DD-7; digitech hardwire RV-7). The clean sound is really awesome, with lots of bass in it. It sounds thinner in triode mode, but really fat in pentode mode. As far as the TS9 goes, it sounds really warm. You can get the buckethead kind of overdrive out of it. I am using the BD2 as a boost to get a really compressed sound, and you can shred easily on this amp. I usually play metal, and with the the TL2 distortion this amp sounds like an ELQL savage head, if you set the parameters properly. Yep, this amp is extremely pedal friendly, and I get a slight hum for which the NS2 is sufficient. You can use this amp to get a nice clean sound, a blues kind of sound to metalcore (obviouslt you will need a distortion pedal). If I keep my guitar volume knob down, I get an awesome crunch sound out of this amp. The clean channel is extremely dirty in high volumes. I cranked it up once, and by controlling your dynamics properly you can express your emotions with utmost detail I would say. T would not say the distortion is brulal, it is dirty. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I use this amp to practice in my room. But yeah, I think you can count on it for small scale gigs such as jazz clubs or bars. It has been only a month since I have bought this amp, so it would have been really unfair if this amp did break down in such a short notice. But if you satisfy these following criteria: 1. You are a intermediate or better when it comes to playing the guitar. 2. You still use digital multi FX and solid state amps. 3. You have enough cash to change your gear but not that much to buy a dual rectifier, I would say you and consider buying this amp. // 10

Overall Impression: I am thinking of getting another of these heads right now as soon I have enough cash. So yeah, I guess you get the idea that I love this amp. Along with the pedals I own, this amp has been a perfect match for my style of playing. If you consider buying this amp make sure you at least have a delay pedal. And another od pedal in order to boost the signal for the TS9 wont hurt either. And also use the TSA112C along with it, it will sound a lot better compared to other cabs, at least the ones I triet out. // 9

TSA15H Reviewed by: MrKnister, on june 06, 2012

Price paid: € 289

Purchased from: Thomann.de

Features: First of all, the Tubescreamer is legendary for it's sound. That's what I can confirm now! Warm clean tube sound absolutely according to my preference. For playing at home it's a very beautiful head due to the creme colour it fits to every living room. For playing in a rehearsal room in combination with a 4x12 cabinet it is sufficient, too. I had doubts, but I can assure TSA15H + 4x12 keeps up with loud drummer. The power of a tube should not be underrated! Well, you can switch between 5 and 15w. Effect loop also available. Everybody who needs reverb is not happy with it, because it has no. Even if in my opinion the solution with one poti of other amps offers no big possibilities of reverb. For me it was no reason to do not buy it. The footswitch needs to be paid extra, too. And the boost can not be changed. That's what is reducing the rating points. // 8

Sound: A warm beautiful sound. The distortion affects it to 99% in usal TS-Skill. Anybody who needs 110% distortion of an Engl or a Mesa for Metal have to buy an extra pedal. For me it's the typical blues/classic rock amp which I was searching for. Greetings from Bonamassa, SRV, Skynyrd and CCR! Dynamic is also available! Hard strokes and a humbucker will give some distortion to the clean channel. Soft strokes and a single coil will supply the crispy strat-sound. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I did not transport in on the road for a long time, just playing at home and rehearsal room. For the last 4 months there had been no problems. I am very carefully. I do not throw it or similar. But let me know if you have something like this. Only 9 points because the test time was not so long. // 9

Overall Impression: If it is stolen, I would definitely buy another one of these great amps. If there is more free area in my bed, this amp will lay next to me. For my occasional metal trips there have to be an extra distortion pedal, also for reverb. That's absolutely ok for that price/performance ratio! With a 4x12 cab it is loud enough. With the fitting 1x12 from Ibanez I can not share experiences, maybe in the future. Tested with Ibanez SZ520 (Humbucker), Godin Progression (Single-coils) and Hughes & Kettner 100w 4x12 Cab. // 10

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ GRG170DX 8.5 Electric Guitars 12/09/2014