JG-2 Review

6.1
review (1) 11 comments vote for this gear:
JG-2 Reviewed by: josephde, on april 04, 2005

Purchased from: eBay

Features: This amp is a 50 watt, all tube Jackson half stack. Back in the early eighties, Jackson hired out Laney to make a few amps for them, namely the JG-2 50 watt, and the JG-3 100 watt. A few hundred amps later, Jackson called it quits, and stopped selling these amps. I managed to pick this one off of eBay for a meager 350 USD plus shipping. This amp has both low gain and high gain inputs, so you really have to use your own distortion pedal if you want to be able to switch. On the control panel, besides the 2 different inputs, you'll notice that the mid knob is a pull/puch pot. By pulling, you activate a mid-boost, to give you some nice warm clean tones. This is my main amp, and is used from home practice to my bands gigs, and it's yet to fail me. Defintely powerful enough to last you your playing career. // 8

Sound: I use my ESP mainly, with Dimarzio's, and it couldn't sound better. This is also one of the few amps that can make an EMG sound great. Even at extremely high volumes, you will get no buzz, and no sound until you start to play, unleashing the power this baby holds. The clean channel sounds awesome at virtually any level, until you get to about 8/9 where it starts to go into a natural overdrive state. The distortion on this thing is monstrous. You can go from Metallica to Pantera to frickin Green Day on this thing without missing a beat (now that's versatility for you. Green Day). // 10

Reliability & Durability: As stated, this is my main amp for practice and gigging, and even at large shows, I use this without a backup. Asking for it? Maybe, but I always have a backup plan just in case. This amp has lasted 20 years so far, and is still going strong. The only wierd thing is the matching cab is slanted. // 10

Overall Impression: I play everything from contemporary christian to Pantera, and this thing hits em all perfectly. I've been playing about 3 years, and run through my Boss ME-50. If this thing were stolen, then I would tie the guy up and shoot him for a few hours with a bb gun before bashing his head in. If lost, I would cry and turn emo. Then I would search for another. This thing is the perfect amp for any occasion, and minus the fact that you can't switch channels, it's perfect. // 10

More Jackson reviews rating category latest review
+ JS32Q 9.7 Electric Guitars 09/23/2014