JCA5212RC Review

manufacturer: Jet City Amplification date: 02/15/2012 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Jet City Amplification: JCA5212RC
The JCA5212RC (Jet City 50 combo) is a 2x12 all tube amp with spring driven reverb. This amp has two channels: a clean and a crunch channel. The bottom line is I love this amp. From the way it looks to the way it sounds.
 9.1
 8.3
 9.8
review (1) pictures (2) 6 comments vote for this gear:
JCA5212RC Reviewed by: HenryB, on february 15, 2012

Price paid: € 449

Purchased from: PMT

Features: The JCA5212RC (Jet City 50 combo) is a 2x12 all tube amp with spring driven reverb. This amp has two channels: a clean and a crunch channel. Both have their own EQ, so can be controlled individually adding versatility. The amp comes with a footswitch which switches reverb on or off and switches the channel. The amp also features an effects loop and 2x4ohm and 1x8ohm speaker outputs. Sadly, there is no headphone jack, however. The clean channel features volume, treble, bass and mid controls. The overdrive channels features volume, gain, treble, bass and mid controls. There is a global presence and a global reverb control too. // 7

Sound: I use this amp with a Gibson Les Paul Junior (2010 model) with the P90 pickup. I play mostly classic rock. This amp suits classic rock very very well. It can handle Led Zeppelin-style sounds with gain on about 6. The amp is not noisy on any settings that I have tried so far, and it is versatile with nice cleans and a nice crisp overdrive. Like I said before, I haven't ever gigged with this, so I don't know what it'd be like past 12 o'clock on the volume, but it the sound gets better the more I turn it up, as you'd expect with a tube amp. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Having never gigged before, I don't know what to compare this to with regards to reliability/durability gig-wise, and nor do I know if I'd gig this without a backup. At the moment, my gut says it'd be fine in a gig situation. It seems sturdy and it seems well made. // 8

Overall Impression: The bottom line is I love this amp. From the way it looks to the way it sounds. I've been playing for 3 years now, and I've only owned solid-state amps before, and this far far exceeds those (as you'd expect: I'm comparing it to a Line 6 Spider IV and a Marshall MG...). If it were lost or stolen, I'd buy another one if I could find it in the UK. The only thing it could really do with is a headphone jack, but that's just me being picky. // 9

More Jet City Amplification reviews rating category latest review