Millennium JM150 Review

manufacturer: Johnson date: 06/10/2013 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Johnson: Millennium JM150
If you are in need of effects processing, the JM150's full function signal processing section lets you add up to 4 studio quality effects with total control over all parameters. Powered by 150 watts through 2 Celestion Vintage 30 loudspeakers, you can be guaranteed that you will be heard.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.5
 9.7
 9.6
 9.7
reviews (2) pictures (2) 15 comments vote for this gear:
Millennium JM150 Reviewed by: metal_man12, on september 12, 2006

Purchased from: eBay

Features: Let me start out by saying this amp is the king of versatility. The only way to come close to this amp in sound and features is the Vetta II. The JM150 is a tube integrated modeling amplifier, which means that it incorperates two 12AX7 pre amp tubes into each of it's amp models. This "tube integration" allows the amp to mimick the eq curves of the amps it is modeling. Each of the amp models have two channels, clean and dirty, along with controls for gain, level, treble, bass, and mid, and a universal contour knob. and the amp itself has 100 user presets and 100 factory presets to choose from. The amp models are broken down into 5 categories. American stacks, which include the Mesa/Boogie Mark II (which does include the eq automatically when the amp model is selected) and Dual Rectifier, and the Soldano SLO, British stacks, which include the JCM800, hot rodded Marshall, the American combo category includes the '65 Black Face Twin, Boogie MKII, Matchless DC30, Dual Rectifier, and Trem-O-Verb, and the British combos inculde the'63 Vox AC 30 Top Boost, Marshall JCM 800 and and 5th category is populated by Johnson Custom amps and combinations of different amps, such as a recto/fender. There are two ports on the back for expression pedals to control wah, whammy effects, volume, and even eq parameters and effects levels. It has two direct xlr outs for recording, and two extra 8 ohm ports for extra speakers. Now onto the digital (maybe) effects. All of the effects have all of the parameters that a single effects pedal devoted to that effect would, and 4 different effects can be run simultaneously. The JM150 has modulation effects, delays, reverbs, and a category called "other". In the modulation section, you will find various flangers, chorus, phaser, rotary speaker simulator, tremelo, and combination of chorus/flanger and chorus/delay. The delays section offer many delay presets, as does the reverb section. The "other" section is basically a whammy/wah/eq/compressor pedal. // 10

Sound: I use a Fender American Double Fat Strat with this amp, and I've gotten clone tones of the follwing bands: Metallica, Pantera, Dream Theater, Slayer, Steve Vai, and I've gotten pretty close to Anthrax. Other tones that came with the amp as factory presets were: SRV, Dick Dale, David Gilmour, Van Halen(aka brown sound), Smashing pumpkins, and some hendrixish fuzz settings just to name a few. The most Brutal distortion I've gotten out of the amp was a factory preset! The amp does give some feedback, but that problems rectified(no pun intended) by switching on the noise gate. The digital effects sound as analog as can be, and so do most of the amp models. Ok, now onto the only part of this amp I dislike. I've found through gigging that the two vinatge 30 loudspeakers are very directional in their sound, it's almost like a flashlight. I've unitentionally blown the audience away(not with my madskillz though) because I had been standing to the side of the amp during the sound check. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This amp has never broken down on ME, but I hear sometimes the battery will die, and all of your presets will be erased. But, I've also heard that the guys over at Johnson are more then happy to fix the problem and send you on your way. I'd gig without a back up no sweat, so long as no one does anything stupid with it, and it's pretty much noob proof, bcause you can run the amp safely with out the speakers attached, and it warms itself up. It only has a couple of preamp tubes, so if they go, it's no sweat, maybe 20 bucks at most to get em both replaced. // 10

Overall Impression: If this amp were stolen, I'd really miss it, but I'd probably be saving for something else, variety is the spice of life. I love the digital effects and the ability to save and load presets at the turn of a wheel, but I just wish it spread it's great tone out more evenly through it's speakers. Line 6 bought out Johnson, and then they eventually made the Vetta II. after trying both amps, the Johnson reigns supreme. In tone and in features. Line 6 makes some great amps, but compared to the JM150 they're just posers. In closing, I'd like to say that I haven't even begun to scratch the surface of this amps capability. In my opinion, this amp has equal potential in the studio, and in a live environment, so long as you have a good pa. // 9

Millennium JM150 Reviewed by: MerkHourston, on june 10, 2013

Features: This is the worlds first guitar modelling amplifier. It has more features than I can even begin to imagine, it models some of the most famous amps in the world and it does it brilliantly. The amp comes with a footswitch which is completely customisable and easy to use along with a pedal that can be matched to whatever effect you require, IE use it as a standard wah wah pedal, or use it as pedal for lowering volume, turning on chorus etc etc etc. I use this amp in my home, not for gigging, but I Imagine it would be fine for gigging. 150watt, 2 x 12, tube integrated! // 10

Sound: I play a variety of styles, my PRS Custom 24 Dave Navarro sounds unbelievable through, as does my Schecter 7 string, the clean channels on this (the presets, nevermind the ability to customise your own) sound like nothing I've ever heard before. It's simply beautiful. The variety is endless, even 13 years after the amp was originally launched, it's still better than 99% of products out there for sheer robustness and variety. The distorted channels, especially the Mesa Boogie Dual Rec model sound brutal, sustains for days on end! // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've only had this amp for a short period of time, so I can't REALLY comment on the reliability. The previous owner had the tubes replaced as well right before I bought it, so it's not skipped a beat in my ownership. I would Imagine the amp would be perfect for playing Live, plenty loud enough as well as more variety than any other amp/modeller I've ever seen (think of it as an earlier Axe FX II and you're on the right track). Not much else to say on this really, the foot controller is nice and sturdy too with clear switches for people with lead feet! // 9

Overall Impression: I play mainly rock music but sometimes dabble in Blues and Jazz, this amp can do it all easily. I've been playing guitar for 12 years, have gone through countless amps, including a Line 6 Spider, which, ironically... Line 6 later bought DigiTech, the company who branded Johnson, but ended up making much poorer quality amplifiers than this. I also have a Peavey Vypyr 15 watt that I take with me when I'm travelling to work (I work in england and live in Scotland) but that's obviously not comparable to this. If this amp was lost or stolen, I would do my utmost to get it again, these are a rare find and I was lucky to get it at such a brilliant price seeing as they were 1200+ when brand new. // 10

More Johnson reviews rating category latest review
+ P Bass 6.9 Bass Guitars 07/04/2014