K-Spot Review

8.7
 9.3
review (1) pictures (2) 1 comment vote for this gear:
K-Spot Reviewed by: dmarcus30, on february 04, 2013

Features: My K-Spot is probably 2 years old. I bought it off a pro player who had it up on Craig's List. I play roots music, reggae, and jangle pop. This amp covers it all. It has 4 inputs, one is not padded and the other 3 have varying degrees of padding, not able to jumper. Would like to be able to, though. This amp is used at home turned way down and will be used in small combo gigs this summer and 35 super-efficient watts in a 100 yr old pine cabinet is plenty loud enough. Tubes are 2 6L6, 4 12ax7s; one GZ34 rectifier. Super long power cord and mine has a Kendrick attenuator already mounted in the cab. One 12" 80 watt Kendrick Brownframe ceramic speaker. Controls are Treble/Bass/Volume. // 9

Sound: I use it with Fenderish single coils and a Les Paul. It really is a great amp for blues, old school rock, even jazz. If you can play and have developed good touch, it will go just about anywhere you want to take it. Not a metal machine and I don't need one. This amp is unbelievably quiet, even with single coils and standing near my computer. Good thing it has a jewel light or I wouldn't know if it was on! It has wonderful, round clean tone and begins to snarl around 3 or 4 on the Vol knob. It is a VERY loud 35 watts, if need be. Easily as intimidating as my Twin and I get better tone without being at the threshold of pain. It takes pedals really well but the thing is, most pedals make this amp sound small. I use top quality gear/strings/cable and plugging straight in is a joy. // 10

Reliability & Durability: My other Kendrick has never let me down. The build quality of Kendrick is very high, beautiful component layout and lead dress. I take a full set of backup tubes and a fuse to gigs. I expect this amp with its uncluttered signal path and purity of design to be essentially bulletproof. Gerald Weber was probably the first amp builder, over 20 years ago, to resurrect and improve upon the designs that made the sounds that we all grew up hearing. He is an unearthly repository of tube amp history and knowledge and he still has the hearing of a bat. Kendrick amps are made to take the abuse of a working musician and such an elegantly simple design means less that could go wrong. After using a Twin Reverb for almost 40 years, it is a sheer delight to have an amp that weighs 35 pounds but could cut it next to a 100 watter any day of the week. // 9

Overall Impression: This is an excellent match for me. I have been playing for decades and have gone through my share of gear but this one is a keeper! The 'K' logo over the floating speaker baffle seems to diffuse the sound and makes the amp sound HUGE. I considered other amps but knowing Gerald Weber and how he puts his heart and soul into every Kendrick design, and being addicted to my Black Gold 15 anyway, there was no way I was going to pass this up and I have been on a diet of leaves and ice cubes ever since because I was broke to begin with. While the Kendrick reverb has to be heard to be appreciated, I do wish the unit controls could be front or top mounted rather than inside the cab, in case I want to change settings on the fly. Video from YouTube:

// 9

More Kendrick reviews rating category latest review
+ Gig Rig 9.3 Guitar Amplifiers 12/23/2013