Texas Crude Roughneck Review

6.5
review (1) user comments vote for this gear:
Texas Crude Roughneck Reviewed by: DrivenMind, on january 21, 2009

Purchased from: Unknown

Features: The Roughneck is a 6 watt, class a, tube practice amp with two inputs, and a single volume control only. It's about as simple as guitar amps get, and while I would like more features, especially for such an astronomical price, I think it serves it's purpose very well. The amp is hand wired, and comes with a 1X10 speaker, with a 6550 output tube, although almost any 8 pin tube can be substituted for varying tones, and the tubes can be purchased from Kendrick's website. The one I own was made in the late 90s I believe, or perhaps early 2000. So in conclusion, does it really need extra features? No not really, it does an awesome job without them. But for the price should the amp have come with some? Yea... The cabinet is a small wooden trapezoid shape, and covered in lacquered tweed. Very cool looking little amp. // 7

Sound: I usually play blues and rock oriented stuff, which suits the Roughneck very well. Although I have other guitars, the one that really makes the Kendrick Shine, and most enjoyable to play is my Stratocaster with a set of Texas Special pick ups. (Single Coils) Since there is no setting other than volume on this amp, you'd expect it to be a bit of a one trick pony, but the clean is by far the best of all my amps, and it breaks up very nicely when you overdrive it. This is an incredibly dynamic practice amp, and given it's simplicity the sound you get from it is almost hard to fathom. The tone is huge, with a beautiful bell like clean tone. And from the examples I've heard of people playing this amp with different tubes, it can be made to sound however you'd like. I couldn't ask for more in terms of the sound from this amp, in fact being totally honest, since I'm still young, I don't think I have yet to fully appreciate the sound this thing puts out. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Mine is approaching ten years old, and still very solid without any problems. The amp has not needed servicing. Probably because the amp is so simple, there is very little that can go wrong with it in the first place; and since the majority of it is made by hand, and the build quality is top notch. // 10

Overall Impression: I love it, and it grows on me more everyday. And it is very very good for practicing. The sound is so rich, it inspires you to keep practicing. If it were stolen or lost, I'd try to replace it, but the chances are slim that I'd be able to afford one. I also own a Peavey Classic 30, and a pair of Marshall's AVT series amps. (20 & 50) They all serve the purpose, but the Peavey is in need of repair, and the Marshalls simply don't come close in terms of tone. // 9

More Kendrick reviews rating category latest review
+ Gig Rig 9.3 Guitar Amplifiers 12/23/2013