Krankenstein Review

manufacturer: Krank date: 05/28/2010 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Krank: Krankenstein
The Krankenstein uses all-tube, hand-wired circuitry with brilliant tonal innovations designed and voiced by Dimebag Darrell himself!
 Reliability & Durability: 9.3
 8.1
 8.4
 7.8
reviews (3) 115 comments vote for this gear:
Krankenstein Reviewed by: KranK IT!!!, on june 27, 2006

Purchased from: Triple R guitar

Features: First this is the Krankenstien! Built in the USA! It has 2 channels and an awesome effects loop. It is versatile enough for any type of music but mostly for metal. It's got enough gain and power for any one. It doesn't have reverb but that's not bad 'cause it sounds good as it is, plus you can always buy a reverb pedal. // 10

Sound: I'm useing a ESP LTD EX-400 with active EMG's and this thing kicks ass! There wasn't anther amp in the store that had more balls. I's not even that noisy I get a lttle humm while playing with a drummer and bassist. I only need to put the gain at about 7.5 any more and it's like overkill. Not a problem for harmonic pinches and and the distorition is bone crushing really it's great. The clean has break up a little but mess with the kleen settings and then you'll find a good kleen. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Very dependable and definitly use without a backup. It has never broken down on me once and I had it for about 6 months. // 10

Overall Impression: It's perfect for my style metal or just about anything else. I've been playing about 2 1/2 years now. But people belive I've been playing all my life. They are kinda pricy but there worth it 100 watts of all tube power and I only have the master a 5 and the channel volume at 2 and that is enough to play over a very loud drummer and bassist and the channel volume at 4 drowns everybody out completley. So you'll have to problem with volume and the sounds just keeps getting better at higher volumes. If it were lost of stolen I'd buy it again cause it's that good I also use this with a mesa 2X12 cab with Vintage 30's 'cause I don't want to lug a 4X12 around. // 10

Krankenstein Reviewed by: SmurfGenocide, on may 28, 2010

Purchased from: Musician's Friend/Guitar Center

Features: This is the updated version of the original Krankenstein tube head. It is 120 Watts and has an upgraded 6550 power section. It has two channels (Clean and Dirty) with a dedicated master volume knob, a master presence knob and an active effects loop. The dirty channel has 2 Master volumes that are foot-switchable. It also has a sweep control knob on the dirty channel which gives more equalization control. It comes with a foot switch. I have this head matched with a Marshall 1960 4x12 cabinet. I gave it an 7 in features because it would be nice if the effects loop was switchable and it also doesn't have reverb. // 7

Sound: I play through a number of guitars including: a Gibson SG with an Angus Young signature pickup in the bridge position, a Jackson DKMG with active EMG 81-85's and a turbo charger, a Dean Dime-O-Flame with a Dimebucker in the bridge position, an Ibanez 7-string, and a Highway 1 American Stratocaster. One thing I noticed about this amp is that it brings out subtle nuances in every guitar played through it that make it truly sound unique. Before I had this amp I played through a Peavey Valve-king and a DigiTech Metal Master pedal and every guitar sounded a little bland in comparison. The clean channel is interesting in that it is really chimey and bright (kind of like a Fender Twin), but it breaks up a little. It gives a good Texas-Blues kind of sound. The dirty channel is really where this amp shines. I can turn the gain up to about 5 (12 o'clock) and it gives the perfect amount of saturation for classic rock a la The Who, Led Zeppelin, etc. Turn the gain knob to about 7 or 8 (around 3 o'clock) and that puts the gain into the metal range. What's truly amazing about this amp is the kinds of gain/distortion you can get through the different relationships of the Gain master knob and the overall master volume knob. For example, if the gain is at about 8 and you put the Gain master at about 1 to 2 and the overall master at 5 you get a very crunchy sounding gain. However, the more you turn the gain master up the more fullness and bassiness is added. On top of this you have a sweep control with adds more power to the bass/mids/treble section depending on what you have it turned to. Another great feature is the active effects loop. I run my modulation effects it as well as my Boss 7-band graphic Equalizer. I use the equalizer to get my metal tone and the boost knob really helps the tone really cut through and mix better with the distortion. Because of this I can get any number of different sounds and can adjust every little detail of my sound as I please. The only problem with this is that it is a little overwhelming at first but the more you use the amp the better it sounds. I gave the sound an 8 because the clean channel is a little lacking and while the dirty channel is amazing it could always be better. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've had this amp for about 5 or 6 months now and this amp seems very durable. I have traveled with it many times and it has never broken. However I can't really comment on this too much as I have never gigged with it. I would imagine that it can stand extensive gigging but I would buy an amp cover/carry case just in case. I gave it an 8 because of this. // 8

Overall Impression: I play anything from Blues to Rock to Metal and Death Metal. I can get any sound I want from this amp that I can think of and am very pleased with it. I've been playing for about 9 years and this is by far the best amp I've played through. I also have a Fender Twin (Red Knobs version), and a Line 6 Flextone III. The pedals I play through on my SKB pedal board are: MXR Noise Gate, MXR EVH Phase 90, Ibanez Tube Screamer reissue, a DOD Flanger, a Boss Phase Shifter, a DigiTech Whammy, a Boss Digidelay DD-7, and an Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah. I chose this amp because I was tired of getting my distortion from a pedal and I wanted an amp that could go beyond my expectations in terms of gain, tone, and volume. Another reason I chose this amp is because it was endorsed by Dimebag himself (his picture is on it, pretty cool...but anyway) and I had heard it in use while watching Metalocalypse. If it was stolen I would definitely get another one. The only things I wish it had were extra foot-switchable options beside just the channel and master switches. Overall, if you want an amp that is easy to operate, can dish out more than enough brutal distortion, and has great tone shaping features this amp is for you. // 8

Krankenstein Reviewed by: chouchen, on february 12, 2009

Purchased from: Guitar center

Features: Its pretty nive especialy for metal the clean is ok too. I bout this a couple of moths ago and have played 5 or 6 shows with it. it is an awesome amp over all. The 2 channels work real well. A footswitch is really good with it. I wish it had Dsp Effects but I can make up for that with pedals. And it deffinately has enough power you can break windows easily, car windows. Really awesome. Great overall tube amp // 4

Sound: Great sound again mainly for metal. I think it's way better than mesa's. it's really easy to get the sound where you like it too. I use custom SG3 with EMG's and omg it sounds really amazing. it's a little noisy when you got full gain and kranked up past 6. You can make a lot of different sounds with it, never gets boring. The distortion is so brutal there is no need for any distortion pedal at all. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I haven't had any problem with it. It accedently got knocked off my cab by a buddy of mine(drunk). I had to replace one tubes. so that should tell you. It is a really dependable amp. If it has Krank written on it it's dependable. never failed on me yet, and it never will. // 10

Overall Impression: Looks real nice I can see why dethklok uses them. they are real good with EMG's. it looks really nice if you have the money for the full stack. I like Krank it's a really good brand of amps. I used Krank for about 2 years and I get a lot of comments from ppl at shows. ii play lead guitar in Kings of Destiny. If if got stolen I would definately buy the same one in a hurry. and I still wish it had Dsp. // 6

More Krank reviews rating category latest review
+ Distortus Maximus 8.8 Guitar Effects 08/01/2013