12 Gauge Review

8.1
reviews (2) pictures (2) 4 comments vote for this gear:
12 Gauge Reviewed by: lord_yggdrasill, on december 19, 2008

Purchased from: The Red Phish

Features: This amp is a 16 Watt solid state combo with a 12" speaker. It's very good starter amp. It takes effects well. I play a wide variety of music. There are two channels. Lead: Gain and Volume knobs. Clean: Volume knob. The basic three knob EQ (Low, Mid, and High knobs.) There are two effects on it, a decent reverb and a delay that pretty much sounds like a slower reverb. There is a Speaker, Lineout, Headphone, and a CD In jack. // 8

Sound: I use an Ibanez SA Series, with stock passive pickups. I play Hardcore and Death Metal, and it suits them well. It makes some noises, but that is most likely because I have it right next to a lot of electronics. There is a buzz on the lineout, but still probably because of all my electronics. It has very smooth cleans, but they tend to distort when you have the low up too high, when playing at loud volumes. The distortion is amazing, for the price. The distortion falls short of what is expected for death metal, but still quite good. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I depend on it, I've had it over a year now and it has never broken yet, and shows no signs of doing it soon. It's built really sturdy. I've actually dropped it from the back of my car, accidentally of course, but it had no effect on the sound, only some scratches on the corner pads. // 10

Overall Impression: For death metal, and most other rock genres, it is a good match. Especially for the budget oriented beginner guitarist. I have been playing guitar two and a half years, and have been playing a year and a half with this amp. It is my only amp, and I won't be getting rid of it any time soon. If it were lost or stolen, I would probably get the comparable 2x12 amp. I love the distortion, it's the best part. A subtle reverb sounds good on the cleans too. When purchasing, I didn't compare it to any other amps, because I couldn't afford any others. But I have compared it to my friends' practice amps, and it blows their's out of the water. I wish it had a footswitch, and another channel. But all in all, more than I expected for $100. // 9

12 Gauge Reviewed by: slimmetalpickin, on may 15, 2012

Purchased from: Rays Midbell Music

Features: This amplifier was manufactured around 2006. I wasn't even looking for an amp when I found this. I saw it and the square looks and clean lines caught my eye. This is 16 watt solid state 2 channel amplifier with clean and Lead both sharing a 3 band EQ. This bad boy runs a 12" speaker. It does have an 8ohm speaker out jack, a line out jack for recording. 1/4" headphone jack and a 1/4" CD/tape Jack. They are all on the back and facing down as this is an open back cab. Would be easier if they were facing straight out, but for the price, I'm not dis-satisfied. This amp does have built in reverb and delay. The reverb is a spring reverb which I find surprising considering the price point of this amp. And the delay is very mild even on the highest level. More reverbish than delayish. This amp has no effects Jack so your going to have to front end it if you want effects other than the reverb and delay. I play thrash metal and this amp comes no where near a thrash sound. But it does a killer old school rock tone which is why I bought it. // 7

Sound: I use several guitars with this amp, Les Paul Standard, Dean V, Dean ML, and a Dean 7 string and it carries the low notes just fine with good definition. And the clean channel is pristine even with the volume cranked. I only use this amp for practice at home. It is nowhere near loud enough to get even close to a metal drummer. That being said, the sound out of this little amp is deceiving. It sounds much bigger than 16 watts. I think the 12" speaker helps bring it to life. This amp can be very bassy sounding also. As with any amplifier, it can be noisy when the gain is cranked. That being said, the amp is very capable of doing an awesome classic rock or 80's rock sound or a blues overdrive with ease. If you are looking for an amp that can do straight up metal with no overdrive or any kind of help, then this is not your amp. On this flip side it takes pedals like a champ. And I run some of the hardest pedals there are on it. Like the MXR Fullbore and a DigiTech Metal Master and it just takes them in stride. // 6

Reliability & Durability: I can tell you this little guy is built very well. It looks to be made of MDF, but the baffle is plywood. On a side note, When I got the amp home, I set it on the back of my wife's car like a retard, and it slid off and hit the ground pretty hard. With the exception of a few scuff marks and a small tear in the tolex, it has never given me a problem. Even the blue Diamond light still works. // 9

Overall Impression: If your just looking for a small practice amp for playing in an apartment or house, or just something to warm up with, this amp would be great for you. If your looking for an amp that is capable of a good blues or classic rock sound, this amp is perfect for you. If you looking for an amp that takes effects and pedals well, this amp will work great for you. If your looking for a shredders amp, keep looking. I would buy this amp all day long at $75-100. Great deal. // 7

More Kustom reviews rating category latest review
+ HV100THD 8.4 Guitar Amplifiers 08/21/2014