36 Coupe 112 Review

manufacturer: Kustom date: 01/16/2009 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Kustom: 36 Coupe 112
The '36 Coupe utilizes a dual 6L6 power tube platform with a 12AX7 preamp section and is rated at 36 watts RMS.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.5
 9.6
 9.7
 9.4
reviews (2) 10 comments vote for this gear:
36 Coupe 112 Reviewed by: Tackleberry, on december 11, 2007

Purchased from: Music store

Features: I purchased the Coupe 36 amp new at my local music store. It comes with a single eminance 12" speaker. And is rated at 36 watts of tube power. It has 2 channels rhythm/lead. Bright switches for both channels. doesnt't come with a true clean channel. An interactive bass/mid/treble EQ. Has 2 inputs low and high. Has a buffered tube driven effects loop. Reverb with tone knob. An adjustable boost. Direct out to mixer. And switchable ohms with 2 outputs. Comes with a footswitch and uses standard stereo cable to operate it. // 9

Sound: I mostly play Sabbath, AC/DC, and Zeppelin. It does a very good job with those styles. The lead channel has a really good distortion much better than any of my pedals. And with the bright switch has a lot of versatility. The distortion can get pretty heavy depending on the signal fed to it. Using the high input and EMG actives it can be really brutal. Or just run my passive pickup LP and sound really good. I use the rhythm channel with the gain turned down as a clean channel. But wont stay clean if fed to much input. The bass is pretty impressive it will shake and rattle every window in my house. I don't use a lot of pedals as they choke the tone on the amp alot. I just use a chorus and flanger on the effects loop. The reverb is nice as it has a tone knob. You can turn the tone down have the reverb up high but not sound like your in a bathtub. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Have never had a problem with this amp. It has made several long distance trips in the back of a pickup truck and never given any trouble. It isnt loud enough by itself to drown out a drummer but would work very well miked. I've never used the direct out so don't know how well it sounds. The foot switches look pretty durable and the housing is made of aluminum. And as it uses a stereo guitar cable can make it as long or short as wanted. // 10

Overall Impression: I am very happy with this amp. And for what I play works very well. Don't know know how it would do trying to play death metal. I do wish it had a true clean channel but will just dig up an amp for that purpose. I've owned several amps over the years and this is the best one I've had so far. Don't have any use for the larger stack version of this amp. But would like to try the 2 speaker combo, they didn't have any at the store I went to. // 10

36 Coupe 112 Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 16, 2009

Purchased from: Musicians's Friend

Features: This amp has some interesting featuer that make it a very useful amp. Each channel has a pull bright Switch which wil alter your sound a bit and make it brighter (as you would imagine), which is helpful for hitting certain tones. It has an accutronics reverb system, although to be honest, I am not a fan. Two inputs, two channels, however like the previous review said neitehr of them are a real "clean" channel, although it can get a great clean sound if you keep it quiet. My favourite feature is the footswitch, it activates or deactivates the reverb, switches channels, and also activates a magnificent volume boost that will nto alter your tone at all, just make you louder to be heard through the mix. Point lost for there being no separate EQ. // 9

Sound: I play three guitars through this amp, an Epiphone Les Paul, a Schecter Hellraiser FR and a Blade RH-2 (basically a strat). All three guitars sound good through it. The clean(er) channel particularly loves the single coils on the Blade. My style of music is primarily rock and old metal like Metallica or Sabbath or the like. For those purposes this amp is wonderful, with plenty of distortion when necessary and capable of good cleans (albeit only at fairly low volumes) and overall excellent sound. One thing I will say is that it can be tricky to work your way around the EQ, but once you get the hang of it it shouldn't be so bad. Also, this can most definitely drown out a drummer. Don't know what that guy was talking about. // 10

Reliability & Durability: When I first ordered this amp it arrived with a broken toggle Switch. I sent it back and recieved a new one without this problem. The Switch seems a little weak to me, so be careful. The On/Off and standby switches are very strong however, as is the footswitch and general construction. One final thing, it runs hot. Very hot. As in I could huddle behind the amp on a cold day and get my hands pretty toasty pretty fast. I'm considering installing some fans to help with that, but it has not presented any issues as of yet. // 9

Overall Impression: For my music as well as many others this amp is a good match. It's very much a versatile machine, being able to handle many genres well, although it is certainly no 505 for metal or Fender for cleans. Overall, this is a great amp and I'd gladly buy it again were it lost. Maybe get yourself an overdrive if you plan to play metal, although if metal as it sounds today is all you are going to do then most definitely look elsewhere. // 10

More Kustom reviews rating category latest review
+ HV100THD 8.4 Guitar Amplifiers 08/21/2014