Dual 35 DFX Review

manufacturer: Kustom date: 03/12/2008 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Kustom: Dual 35 DFX
The Dual 35DFX is a 30-watt combo amplifier with a 10-inch Celestion speaker. Like its bigger Quad brothers, it also has two channels and 24-bit digital effects. The lead channel has two high-gain preamp choices, and both channels share common bass, middle and treble controls.
 Features: 6.5
 6.8
 5.1
reviews (2) 1 comment vote for this gear:
Dual 35 DFX Reviewed by: Led_Zeppelin992, on december 08, 2007

Purchased from: Reid's Music

Features: First of all, I have no idea when this amp was made. I assume it was a little while ago, but there were no markers so I really have no idea. 35 watts and 8 effects. It is quite versatile, but not particulary made for any..acoustic playing or jazzy type stuff. I have yet been able to acheive those sounds. Even with an acoustic guitar, it's not exactly great. Definitely made for an electric guitar, and just plain rock. You can get a metal sound out of it, but it's very muddy. Extremely muddy. I'd highly recommend a distortion pedal for metal. It has two channels, rhythm and lead. There is no channel-switching-footpedal or anything, so you have to stop playing and hit the Switch on the amp anytime you want to change. It's the same way with the effects. There are headphone jacks, but I've never had any reason to use them so I can't really tell you how good they are. The only feature I wish it had is just a footpedal. It's a real pain having to stoop down and flick the effects everytime you want a change. It definitely has enough power, it'll blow you away on 10, I'm sure, but I've never actually had it up there. Unfortunately, as you go higher in volume, it does get quite distorted, which is one downside. Also, it is a solid state amp. // 7

Sound: I'm using a Peavey Explore EXP with this, and it's pretty good. I have no real problems with that. It suits my style, alright, but not perfectly. I am a complete metal-head, so that's my style. Only time it's really noisy is when the volume is up high, then it starts to get distorted, unfortunately. No real way to fix that. It can make a good lot of sounds, mostly made for rock though. I can get some Zeppelin, Sabbath, Metallica and stuff, but not anything like a death metal tone. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I might use it without a backup. Depends on the gig, I suppose. If it was say, a battle of the bands or something, I probably wouldn't use this. Too muffled and noisy. Now if it was just a laid back gig or something, not too important, I'd use this. It works well and gives good sound and wouldn't give out on you mid-gig, seeing as it's built like a tank. Never broken down on me either, and I've used it practically everyday for the past year and a half. // 9

Overall Impression: I've been playing for about 2 years now, and I have a Peavey Explore EXP. Works fine with all of that. No real problems. If this were stolen or lost, I would probably take a look for something a bit better because I was only a little noob guitarist when I bought this and I didn't know really what all the specs and confusing terms and whatnot meant. My favorite feature on this is probably the equalizer, which is pretty freakin' sweet, imo. Overall, good for a beginner-intermediate guitarist, but nothing else, really. // 8

Dual 35 DFX Reviewed by: BulletzAreScene, on march 12, 2008

Features: I have no clue when this amp was made. This amp was good when I bought it, which wasn't long ago, but I outgrew it quickly, I wouldn't advise this amp without a distortion pedal, the distortion is sloppy, and is more of a slight fuzz then actual distortion. I play more hardcore to metal and this amp really isn't cutting it for me anymore. Anyways, it has 2 channels, 1 'high-gain' channel, and one clean, it has 1 EQ and 8 effects. Apparently you can buy a footswtch for this amp, but I haven't been able to find one anywhere. It does have a headphone jack, but it's incoveniently placed at the back of the amp. I really wish this amp had better distortion and better/more effects, because I really only use the delay, which isnt the best. It has a 10" Celestion speaker and is solid state. // 6

Sound: I use a Jackson JS30DKT with standard Jackson pickups and I guess it sounds good if you toy with the EQ enough. I don't know what style of playing this amp was made for, rock maybe? but it doesn't really suit anything else. One thing I would like to mention is I cannot turn this amp on 10 without picking up feedback, I'm not sure if it's the distortion pedal I use, or just the accoustics of the room, but I wouldn't advise this without a sound compressor. Also, this amp can overpower a drumset in a small room, but barely. I've noticed when I forget to turn my distortion on, the amp gets quite distorted and crunchy. Like I've mentioned earlie, I wouldn't advise using the distorted channel you would have to use a distortion pedal, although the amps distortion may be good for soloing, I haven't tried it yet. // 5

Reliability & Durability: Well I for one, wouldn't use this amp in a gig. Partially because it isnt loud enough, partially because mine gets a buzz in it if it overheats (in about 5-8 mins) which is a downside of buying from a pawnshop, my mistake. I would normally get the buzzing fixed, but for the price I paid, it's not worth it, I also wouldn't advise standing on this amp, it doesnt't seem very stable. // 5

Overall Impression: I play hardcore music and I don't think it suits it very good, but if you were just starting out, it is very simple to use, but not much you can do with it. I've been playing for 3 years, I got this amp in x-mas 07-08 and immediately went across the road to the local music shop and bought a distortion pedal, DigiTech Grunge. Which is the only bit of gear I own, I was hoping I could just use the amp's effects, but, not the best decision. I really wish I would have tried this amp more, and fiddled with the FX and EQ a bit, although, I was really stoked, because the guy t the store told me it was 60 watts, which is obviously isn't. If it were stolen, I wouldn't buy another one, 1, they are way hard to find in canada, 2 it's not loud enough. Although I can say I really like that there's a CD/Tape Input, which is great for plugging your iPod in and jamming to some songs, and I like the look of it. When I bought it, I was desperate, my amp caved in and I needed something to play with or I would die, I compared it to lots, but ultimately chose it because it was cheap, I was foolish. I really wish it had a better EQ and more/better effects. // 6

More Kustom reviews rating category latest review
+ KXB200 8.2 Bass Amplifiers 11/26/2014