KG100HFX Review

6.8
 4.4
reviews (2) pictures (2) 9 comments vote for this gear:
KG100HFX Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 19, 2012

Features: 2010 made in China, 100w solid state, 2 channels, FX loop, headphone jack. I bought this amp as my first halfstack, at first I thought it was awesome but as I got better I started to see the amps limitations. This is a very basic amp, 3 band EQ (Bass, Middle, Treble), 1 volume knob and 1 gain knob on the overdrive channel, 1 volume on the clean channel. The amp has 3 FX on board, Delay, Reverb, and Chorus. The FX are useless because you can't turn them off or only have 1 on, there's a button that controls if reverb or delay is on, you can't turn them both on or off and they all use they same knob so you can't just have chorus or reverb, or delay on, or all 3 of them on at the same time. // 5

Sound: I use several guitars with this amp, and none of them can sound great with the amp alone. With my Ibanez XPT700FX with a DiMarzio X2N in the bridge and no matter how hard I tweaked it, it still sounded like shit. On the up side with Duncan Designed Detonator in the neck the cleans were wonderful, crystal clear and overall very nice. I was Impressed with the amp's clean channel but the overdrive channel is f--king awful. The overdrive channel is all ways buzzy, the distortion sound like someone's taking a shit infront of a Microphone, with my Jackson RR24M it sound like crap, with my Ibanez it sounded like crap, with my Jackson RR3 it sounded like crap, is it my 500 and 1000 dollar guitars or is it this 100 dollar footstand? I'll let you be the judge of that. The cleans on the other hand are amazing, clear, articulate, and beautiful. // 4

Reliability & Durability: It's solid state so it's going to be fairly hard to break. I've owned this amp for 3 years and she's still going strong but will she last as long as a Marshall Plexie, or a Vintage Fender Bassman? Only time will tell. I've had gigged with her once when I forgot my Bugera 1960 (yeah I'm a dumbass) and she held up fine, sounded like crap, but didn't blow up. I do take her to band practice though to save tube time on my Bugera and she's never had any problems, at gigs I just use her as a back up. Overall sturdy but it is a cheap amp, made from cheap parts so I don't know if she'll last in the long haul. // 6

Overall Impression: It's a Kustom, and it's a solid state amp, I'm fairly sure this amp could a beating no problem. I play all form of metal along with blues, jazz, and rock. This amp can handle all of them decently but none of them well. I've played for about 5 years now and I'm sure that's enough time for me to be able to have reasonable understanding of tone. This isn't the worst amp I've ever played, and there's much worse out there in it's price range, but there's also better out there in it's price range (I'm talking new not used). Overall not horrible but there's much better out there for a bit more. // 5

KG100HFX Reviewed by: Paul_96, on june 08, 2012

Price paid: € 150

Purchased from: www.thomann.de

Features: Here we have a cheap transistor guitar head. 100 watts, solid state, 2 channels, 3-band eq, effect unit with reverb/delay/chorus and a solo boost (to use with optional footswitch). I think that the manufacturer should have concentrated better on the lead channel beacuse it is just terrible. The rhythm channel on the other hand is amazing. I rarely use the onboard effects since I have a Boss ME-70 with this amp, but if you play only with the head, the effects work well with both channels. // 7

Sound: The rhythm channel in this head is amazing, but the lead channel is terrible when playing with single-coil pickups, but some humbuckers will produce a basic lead sound. Nothing special though. I mostly play with my trusty LTD AX with rather good EMG pickups and there's practically no noise at all. The rhythm channel as I said before, is amazing. With the effects on, it produces the best clean sound I've heard from a cheap transistor head, and that's why I'm sticking with this amp. I eliminated the poor lead-sound problem with my Boss ME-70's overdrive pedal trough the clean channel of the amp. I mostly play 80's hard-rock and this amp with the clean channel suits my style well. It has enough power for even an outdoor gig. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This head is really built to last. I have dropped it several times and it shows no signs of damage. I've had it for about two years now and never had any problems with it. I have always played gigs without any backup amps. I have never needed any with this tank. // 10

Overall Impression: I mostly play 80's hard-rock like Mtley Cre, GN'R, Alice Cooper and also some classic rock like Zeppelin and Motrhead. This head suits my style and music well when used with the Boss ME-70. I've played for about four years now and I really needed a louder amp to replace my old Line 6 Spider IV. I searched the website (thomann.de) for a cheap head/cabinet bundle and found this head there. It looked fine with all the features listed and a nice, cheap price label. As I got it, I was a little disappointed because of the poor lead channel, but when I plugged the head into my multipedal, I knew that this is the one for me. If it got stolen I would probably buy some else head with a proper lead channel. If you have good pedals, I strongly recommend this head but if you're not one for pedals, buy something else. // 8

More Kustom reviews rating category latest review
+ HV100THD 8.4 Guitar Amplifiers 08/21/2014