KG212FX Review

review (1) pictures (2) 8 comments vote for this gear:
KG212FX Reviewed by: wwwnoobcom, on november 01, 2011

Price paid: € 140

Purchased from: Thomann.de

Features: I'm not sure what year this amp was made in. Anyway, I play post grunge, hard rock, grunge, classic rock, metal and some blues. This amp is solid state, it has 2 channels(lead: distorted and rhythm: clean) I'm very impressed with the clean channel, it is amazing or a solid state, the distorted suits blues and genres with low distortion and isn't very good (its ok). You can press the button on the front panel or use a foot-switch to change channels. (I had to buy the foot-switch individually, I recommend 2 button for channel change and the 2nd button: volume boost). There are effects send/return(loop) input sockets(on the back panel of the amplifier) as well as headphone 1/8" and AUX in 1/8" inputs(these 2 are on front panel). It has some built-in effects too: delay/reverb/chorus (the chorus is always mixed with delay or reverb) they are good effects, you can activate them with the button on the front panel. I use this amplifier at home and at school, its perfectly fine for both venues. There is a 3-band EQ on the amp. The back panel has: effects loop inputs (mentioned before)/external speaker input/foot-switch input. // 9

Sound: I use an ESP LTD F-10. With cheap pickups. The clean channel is excellent and suits the clean riffs that I play. The distorted isn't the best, I bought a Boss DS-1 Distortion pedal for a nicer distorted sound. The amp isn't very noisy. The sounds it can make are quite limited for the distorted channel, but the clean can dish out a wide variety of different tones. The clean channel doesn't distort at any volume what'soever. The amps built in distortion is not the brutal, it can give you a fair distorted tone and can get quite heavy, it is fairly versatile, but I would recommend a distortion pedal to go with the amp. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Well, this amp is quite tough. I'd say I would go to gigs with it, they can be arena's or large venues though (amp not loud enough), and I got to bring my DS-1 with me (nicer dist. sound). I can depend on the amp, it never broke down on me. The feel of the volume/EQ/other knobs on the amp isn't very smooth but it's good. I'd say the amp is reliable. // 9

Overall Impression: Yes, the Kustom KG212FX along with a distortion pedal is perfect for all styles I play. Without the pedal it will do, but not as good as with it. If the amp was lost or stolen I'd buy a tube amp, they sound nicer, although this one sound very good, so if I didn't have enough money for a tube I would buy this one again. As I said: amazing clean tone, good enough distorted, and effects are nice to have too. I would like it better if the foot-switch could switch on/off the chorus, delay and reverb effects (if you buy a 3 button FS the 3rd button will do nothing). // 8

More Kustom reviews rating category latest review
+ HV100THD 8.4 Guitar Amplifiers 08/21/2014