KGA10 Review

manufacturer: Kustom date: 12/08/2010 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Kustom: KGA10
The practice amp that sounds like a stack! 10 watts, 6.5 inch speaker, over-drive effects, variable EQ voice control, in a compact rugged black casing.
 Reliability & Durability: 6.8
 Features: 7.2
 7.1
 4.9
reviews (6) 6 comments vote for this gear:
KGA10 Reviewed by: mickymc_2004, on may 12, 2005

Features: I am not quite sure what year the amp was made in but I think it is very good for the music I play but I use a guitar effects pedal with it. I play alot of diffrent styles of music like metal, grunge, rock, it suits for all typs. It has 3 knobs voice, gain and volume the gain and voice give it a diffrent type of distortion which suits what style you want to play. It also has a headphone jack and an overdrive button. This is only a 10wat amp I only use it at home and when I am practicing it sounds much better with a guitar effects pedal. I have only been playing for about a year and it has done me well. // 8

Sound: I am only using an encore guitar at the moment but it still sounds good. It suits all of my styles of music. It is noisy enough when I have it up full way when I use my garage I don't usually play it thet lound in the house. The clean channel stays at the same level when you distort it. well the distortion can be brutal if you set it to be. // 6

Reliability & Durability: I think its very dependant. Yes I would use it without backup as it has held for me in the past. It has never broke down at all. // 6

Overall Impression: I play alot of styles of music and I think its perfect for them all. I have only been playing about a year but I am still improving. I also own a Encore guitar and a DOD Tec4x guitar effects pedal. Well if were stolen or lost and I have more money I would get a bigger Kustom amp. Well my friend has a Yamaha 10wat amp and it so much better than this. // 8

KGA10 Reviewed by: Spike_S, on january 08, 2006

Features: I'm not sure what year this amp is made in but I do know that it suites about all types of music it has 3 features, tone, volume, and gain. This amp is mainly a small practice amp, it has quite a bit of power for a small amp. It has 2 jacks, a headphone jack, and input jack. // 9

Sound: I used this amp with a Fender American Stratocaster HSS and it suites just about any music style. It has a very slight hum when the distortion is turned on but you wont notice it unless everything in the room is totally quiet. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This model of amp is not exactly big enough to use on a gig so I would not take it to one at all. This amp is very well built and seems like it would last a person a life time if they took good care of it. // 10

Overall Impression: This Amp is a good match for really anystyle of musc you are willing to learn and play I have been playing for 4 years now and have played a few good amps since I have started but this amp is one of the most reliable 10watt amps I have seen or played on, if it was lost or stolen I would probably buy a bigger amp for gigs and such but I would definitly miss it alot. I love its power for its small size and the sound of the distortion. // 10

KGA10 Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 17, 2006

Features: This was my first amp ever. Unlike most knowing buyers, I received mine through a guitar package. It was the "B.C. Rich War Pak." I am certain that this is a KGA10 because I disassembled it and inside it said Kustom KGA10. This one is red and renamed the "BCL10". It is very simple which is perfect for beginners. It has a distortion function named "grind" that actually works quite well for a ten watt amp. This can be adjusted via the "gain" and "edge" controls. It is very variable, it goes from mild retro tone to quite heavy distortion. I play many types of music. One of my current bands "The Mockery" (were on myspace) is retro/indie/alternative. My true style is hardcore/screamo/punk, I try to model Jake Kiley of Strung Out. Though this amp is not suitable for hardcore (with my EC-400) it is good for playing indie/alternative (with my Strat H/S/S). Though I still have my Warlock I do not use it. In conclusion it is a good amp for light rock and has just the right amount of features for beginners. // 10

Sound: This amp sounds amazing. It sounds like some kind of expensive tube amp, though it is just a transistor mono. It perfectly comliments my Strat on any setting and any volume. It remains constant at any volume, and volume is something it does well for it's size. It does not go well with my EMG 81/81 EC-400, but not many amps go right with it. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This is the most dependable amp I have (my other is a Behringer GX212, I hope to get a Peavey Valve King though). It is very real and has its own sound which is very distinctive. I've dropped it many a time, it is still running fine. // 10

Overall Impression: This amp is great for a beginner low on dough, like I was. It is not a match for my true style but is for what I play in my band. I've been playing for 4 years and have amassed lots of gear, but this was my first amp. If this amp were stolen or lost I would not get a new one because I do not need it anymore. I need money for other things like the Peavey I want to get. This amp is a solid contender in the practice amp category and should be considered by anyone that needs one. // 10

KGA10 Reviewed by: Metalbush, on june 11, 2007

Purchased from: Littlewoods

Features: Quite a nifty and versatile 0 Watt practise amp. Not sure what year this model came out though. It's a solid-state value-for-money begginer on a budget amp, with gain, tone and volume control (Not too complex). Only one channel, but there is an overdrive Switch but it's not footswitchable. It has an output/headphone jack but not much features on the whole but what it has got sound pretty decent. I got this amp with an Encore KCE3 guitar which seems to match in quality seen as that's only begginer gear also. // 6

Sound: I use the Encore KCE3 which came with it and also a Jackson Warrior JS30WR. They both sound OK through this amp but I would not suggest it to someone Who has been playing for over a year or two. It's not loud enough for a gig so don't even try that! I play Heavy Metal and scene as this was my first amp I was impressed at the time with the overdrive but I didn't think much of the clean channel. If you turn the gain up past 4 O'Clock it went a bit too fuzzy for me, apart from that though it is pretty cool distortion, like a classic rock sort of tone. // 6

Reliability & Durability: I wouldn't trust it in a gig situation but then it's not loud enough for that. it's reliable enough for in the house practise or even band practise but nothing more. I remember dropping it on my kitchen floor and the speaker came out and ripped the cables witch was a hiccup on my part but I fixed it with a bit of soldering but the speaker was broken. // 4

Overall Impression: I've been playing properly for nearly two year and I've had this five years. If I ever use it now I use it through headphones scene as the speaker dosn't work. I would recommend this amp to a total begginer as you won't know the difference, but as you start progressing you will need something with more tone and features like effects and better clean and distortion and if your gigging in a band you'll need a bigger amp say 50-100 Watts. // 5

KGA10 Reviewed by: ExceBMR, on november 04, 2010

Features: This amp I have never heard of until I bought it. And found it was a fairly good quality amp. It doesn't suit my needs very well. The Overdrive setting I rarely use since it sounds just messy and not good. There is no EQ or Channel Switching. I wish it came with and EQ, Channel Switching, Reverb, Delay, all that good stuff. I use it for practice and playing. Its my only one. I plan to buy a Jet City Amplification JCA12XS soon. // 4

Sound: I use a LP with Alnico Humbuckers. The Amp doesn't come up to snuff with what I play. It has an irritable hum coming out of it (even with not one cable plugged in). It may have a wiring issue I don't know for sure. It basically can do some rock and clean tones. It gets steady clean sound at high volumes surprisingly. The "Overdrive" is just not good. I never used it after trying it once. Which is why I bought a Zoom G1XN to make up for that loss. // 4

Reliability & Durability: This amp is hardly good or powerful enough to play a show. I wont be surprised if this amp just quits on itself. I could be the blame of its quality since I may have dropped it once. It didn't sound good before that so I guess not. // 3

Overall Impression: This amp is passable for beginners. But for intermediate, just save up for a Marshall or Jet City. // 3

KGA10 Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 08, 2010

Purchased from: Local Music Shop

Features: The amp was brought out in 2003, it suits my playing style as I like Hard Rock and Metal. It only has four channels overdrive, voice and gain. There's also a headphone jack, but I hardley ever use it. This was my first amp, I still own it though. I use this one for practising, in my room and my Peavey in the garage. // 6

Sound: I use a Ibanez RG370DXL as I am a lefty. The sound suits my music style to the ground. It packs a punch for such a small thing, although it does go a bit crackley if put on to high a volume. You can put quite a lot of mud on this thing if you want to play along with Slipknot. // 7

Reliability & Durability: It's never brocken down since I bought it in 2004, I would never use this thing in a gig though. But I always service it! I've heard they can break down though. But it works fine with me as long as you service it regularly! // 8

Overall Impression: I started playing in 2004 and at the time it was a really good amp for me, but now I'm a bit better I need a better amp. A good begginer amp overall, and you can take it just about any where because it is extremley light and compact. Recommended! // 8

More Kustom reviews rating category latest review
+ Tube 12A 8.5 Guitar Amplifiers 09/10/2012