KGA10FX Review

manufacturer: Kustom date: 05/25/2011 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Kustom: KGA10FX
The Kustom KGA10FX is a 10-watt rehearsal amplifier with lead and clean channels, built-in effects, CD input, and headphone jack.
 Features: 7.5
 8.1
 8.4
 7.7
reviews (2) 21 comments vote for this gear:
KGA10FX Reviewed by: AdamDK, on august 17, 2006

Purchased from: Live N' Loud (Local Store)

Features: This amp is quite versatile, and is good for many styles of music, most notably, rock, blues and metal. The KGA10FX features two channels: lead (distortion) and rhythm (clean). The clean channel has a very clean, powerful sound and is good for blues rhythm, and the distortion channel can go from a nice classic rock/bluesy lead to a heavy hard rock/metal sound, and I like that. If you twiddle around with the gain knob, you can get a nice Distorted sound that isn't too dirty, but not too clean. This amp is designed as a practice amp, but can be loud considering it is a 0 Watt amplifier. The KGA10FX has the normal EQ settings, and has a knob to set the reverb. All in all, as for the features, it has what you'd expect for a practice amp. // 8

Sound: I'm running a Blaze Stratocaster copy through this amp, sometimes with my Korg AX10G Multi-Effects processor, and it sounds fantastic. The Clean sound is nice, and very good for Red Hot Chili Pepper songs like Dani California, Californication and Under the Bridge. The distortion suits my hard rock/punk rock style very well, and if I want to play metal material like Metallica, I can get the Distortion I need. At a high volume, the clean channel remains very clean, but louder than you'd expect, which sometimes is bad when you turn the volume up to where you think is good enough, but turns out it is louder than you wanted. The reverb is fine, and when you want lots of reverb or not too much of it, you get what you want. The distortion can be brutal when you set it very high, but can be quite nice and bluesy when you need it, which I like a lot. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I have owned this amp for nine months, and it hasn't one broken down, or had any problems. I wouldn't reccomend using it at a gig because it is a practice amp, and only 10 watts, although it is loud enough to play at a family meeting. It is a solid amp, and will not smash if you drop it. // 9

Overall Impression: I play hard rock/punk rock, with a little bit of blues, and this is the perfect amp to practice on. I've been playing 10 months, and this has a brilliant sound for me. When I run my AX10G through it, the sound is perfect for what I want, and when on clean if I put on overdrive with my Fab Overdrive, I get some cool leads for songs like Dani California in the chorus. I love all the features it has, because you get the settings exactly what you want when you fiddle with the settings. All in all, if your new to Guitar, get this amp, it is a dream practice amp. // 10

KGA10FX Reviewed by: stig354, on may 25, 2011

Purchased from: a friend

Features: This amp was made in 2006 I believe and is now battered and bearing scars from the previous owners 4 years of neglect. It has a OD channel and a clean channel. It also comes with a dial labelled "effect" which on this model is a reverb/echo. The amp also comes with a line out, a headphone input and a section for CD/tape. Has a 3 band eq which is universal for both channels. Also the material in front of the speaker is pretty snazzy and I like it. // 7

Sound: Well I use this with an Ibanez S470 in drop C and Encore strat with baritone strings tuned to B standard. Firstly I always run this with a Boss Metal Zone in front. With Metal Zone - Tight sound with plenty of bass. There is a lot of high end fizz but as it is a practise amp for home use it is acceptable. Without Metal Zone I find the distortion to just be full of fuzz and spit, way too much to really work with IMO, but this is only when the gain is close to maxed out. For classic rock this amp is pretty usefull. The clean sound is advertised as sparkling and for the price it is compared to others in area (particularly the Marshall MG 15). This amp is way louder then any other 10 Watt I, v played and easily muscles out the previously mention MG15. It also out competes the Vypyr 15 in volume IMO. The tone you get from this amp for the price is pretty awesome and again better then the MG. I payed 10 for this so I can hardly complain. The speaker I beleive is a Kustom designed 10" speaker and for it is I kinda like it. // 7

Reliability & Durability: Well I know it was used extensivly for about 2 years then left in a loft (attic if your on the other side of the pond) collecting dust. I said to my mate "hey if you've still got your lil amp kickin around I'll have it off you" all I did was wipe off the dust and away I was. It was just something to get a new tone from and by no means my main amp and its fun to mess with. Oh yeah reliablity and durability, this amp is very reliable though mine like to make some huge a-s wail everytime I turn it on. It last's for a second or so then goes back to normal. The amp will definitly survive any beating you can throw at it. Also all dials are chrome with is a nice touch and non of them have fallen off (unlike my Marshall MG15, "sigh"). // 9

Overall Impression: For metal and rock this amp is more then capable so long as you either use a pedal for the gain or learn to live with high amounts of hiss. I love the reverb effect and dime it out to get an echo which just sounds awesome. TBH I'm fairly certain I could leave this anywhere and it would not be stolen as my particular one resembles an artists impression baghdads city centre. If you use it to practise with in your house you will develope a strange affection for it. Take it anywhere else and you will be dissapointed however. This amp is great for players on budget and can't fork out for Fender practise combo's ect and need something for home/bedroom use. Also if your a guy who loves paying more for the named brands(fender ect) practise amps - try this it may just surprise you. And if you don't like it there will always be someone who will gladly buy it. // 8

More Kustom reviews rating category latest review
+ KXB200 8.2 Bass Amplifiers 11/26/2014