Quad 100 Head Review

manufacturer: Kustom date: 08/16/2004 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Kustom: Quad 100 Head
This new head is based on Kustom's critically acclaimed QUAD 100DFX amp, but with a stage-ready, 100-watt power output and a few neat surprises. Using all-analog circuitry, the (QUAD100-DFXHD) offers several preamp choices.
 9.6
 9.5
 9.7
review (1) 8 comments vote for this gear:
Quad 100 Head Reviewed by: artem07, on august 16, 2004

Purchased from: Sam Ash

Features: It has a knob with 8 different effects- hall reverb, spring reverb, slap back, delay, chorus, chorus/reverb, flange/reverb, and tremolo and they couldn't sound any better. It took me awhile to get used to the knob readings (like instead of a gain knob they have 'high' 'low' etc which I am not used to). There's even a knob that's named 'balls' and a button that reads 'bigger balls'. According to the manual though it stands for 'Ballistic Audio Loudness Level Saturation'. Oh well. The other knobs are the traditional sets of 'lead' and 'rhythm' you'll have to set up 'clean' for yourself since there's no channel switching. Unfortunately I didn't get a footswitch with this package so I have to go back and yell at em. // 8

Sound: This is an amazing tube powered monster of a half stack. It can go from easy going blues to AC/DC to raging distorted metal whether it be Metallica or something like Dimmu Borgir. I found it very useful since I do happen to play lots of metal and AC/DC. It isn't noisy unless your guitar sucks (I use a Yamaha Pacifica 012) but when I tried a Gibson Flying V Voodoo it sounded beyond badass. Distortion is unforgivable. I love it. It would probably sound crappy with a distortion pedal though, I think there's plenty. And hell man, it's shitting loud thanks to those celestion speakers. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Well I just bought the amp today and I'm obsessed with it, soo yeah. I don't think you'll need a backup that's unless you like to set your guitar on fire and bash it through the speaker cloth um then well thats up to you. // 10

Overall Impression: Metal. and yes. It's wonderful. Pinch harmonics and bends sound juuust right on it. I've been playing a year and I own a 15 watter RMS 200 (yes I know none of you have heard of it). The only knobs it has are Tone and Volume and a 'drive' switch. For months now I've been trying everything from Marshall MGs, to AVTs, and even the Mesa F series and I couldn't find any tube amps that were this affordable and damn well kicked so much ass! Honestly, I hadn't even heard of Kustom until my salesman directed me away from the Marshall AVT100 just for a moment (I almost bought it glad I didnt!) and he was like 'c'mere' and he plugged me into the Kustom and I was completely blown away from the sound of the first chord. I definitley reccomend this amp if your budget is a lil tight because it's only like 600 bucks and it's a half stack that sounds awesome. Go for it! // 10

More Kustom reviews rating category latest review
+ Tube 12A 8.5 Guitar Amplifiers 09/10/2012