Quad 65 DFX Review

manufacturer: Kustom date: 10/11/2006 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Kustom: Quad 65 DFX
With 65 watts of output power and one 12-inch Celestion speaker, the Quad 65 DFX combo is one of Kustom's most popular amplifier models. From shimmering clean tones to extra-thick distortion, the Quad has what it takes to satisfy the most discriminating players.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.7
 9.2
 8.7
reviews (3) 11 comments vote for this gear:
Quad 65 DFX Reviewed by: sg4ever, on october 11, 2006

Purchased from: Hickory Wind Music

Features: Well this amp came with a lot of features and I think it was made in 2003 at the very earliest. The original price was will range from about $280-$350, but I got a discount. To list all the features, it came with two channels called rhythm (clean) and lead. Each channel has two preamps. The rhythm channel has neutral (normal clean) and brilliant (sparkly, trebly clean). The lead channel has USA (warmer, deeper distortion) and UK (brighter, cutting distortion). Both channels have three-band eq. The amp also has eight digital effects. They sound alright, but I rarely use them. It has 65 watts of power and a single 12 inch celestion. The amp itself is solid state, but it's quite a solid state. // 10

Sound: The sound of the amp is great for the price and is pretty versatile! I use a Greg Bennett Avion through this amp and it sounds good. When I use the clean channel I like to use my bridge pickup the best. It has a nice jangly kind of sound for chords. I play on the lead channel most of the time though. It is capable of many things from classic rock to metalish rock. I've found different uses for the preamps on the distortion channel. The UK preamp is better for the deeper, metal sound, because of it's cutting tone. The USA preamp sounds nice for hard rock lead. I play mostly punkish type rock and christian rock. On occasion I dwelve into some metal, and for all this the distortion is great! You can even get some Lynard Skynard and softer distortion for full chords. Also when you turn the volume down on your guitar and Switch pickups you can get lots more versatility out of this amp. My only complaint are the effects. The tremolo is kind of odd sounding and I could have just been satisfied with reverb, delay, and good tremolo. // 9

Reliability & Durability: It's plenty dependable for me. I don't play in very large gigs. So this is why I got it. If you have to play in smaller gigs or medium with P.A. or a connected cab, this amp is great. It's just a tad hissy on hi-gain, but not to noticeable when you play. Plenty loud enough and durable for me. // 10

Overall Impression: This is a good amp for my style. I play mostly punkish rock and harder rock as stated above and the amp can handle it well. I've been playing for over a year, but I've progressed well and needed this amp. It was the best deal for me considering all the other similarly priced amps and I recommend it to any beginner or intermediate player. Just not pro stuff though. // 10

Quad 65 DFX Reviewed by: torchd, on july 09, 2007

Features: This amp is perfect for the guitar Who just started playing in a band. it's a 65 watt amp and can easily keep up with your standard drummer Who likes to beat the crap out of his drums (like me). It is a perfect all around amp because you can play all kinds of music. From eavy metal to a soft romantic soung, from punk rock to country. It has 8 effects. They are hall reverb, spring reverb, slap back, delay, chrorus, chorus/reverb, flange/reverb and tremolo. Also, it has 2 channals that can easily be switched with a pedal or by pushing buttons. The pedal that came with it can also has an effect Switch. (it doesn't ussually come with the pedal, but I got a special offer) And for those Who Live with parents or have roommates, it has a headphone jack. I use this amp when I'm practicing with my band. it is perfect for a beginning band like mine because it doesn't weigh too much, is inexpensive, and you can get a lot of sound out of it. In the back it has outlets for speakers, a footswitch, effects send, effects return and a line out. And for those of you who like metal, there is a boost buttons by the gain that gives you extra distortion. // 9

Sound: I mainly use this amp with my Schecter c-1 and Washburn X10, and I can't hear much of a sound difference. And I play a lot of songs with distortion, and a few if clean. But if I can tell any difference between the two sounds, it is when I play clean. But there is almost none. This amp matches my music style perfectly. That style is punk rock, metal and rock. This is because you can get a clear sound out of it even with the distortion on. And for all you screamo players, if you still want to get the blah out of your amp, then set the gain as high as you can and press the boost button. Something I found kind of wierd about the sound is that when you set it to a clean sound and turn it up, it makes an overpowering sound. Sometimes with high chords it's almost earpiercing. But when you turn the clean volume up high, it doesn't get distorted. That was a nice change from my old amp. And by the way, the distortion is clear, but you can make it more and more brutal if you want to. // 8

Reliability & Durability: At the gigs I played at so far, I depended on it completely. I wouldn't even think about bringing a back up. A nice feature is that it doesn't have anything that sticks out except for the chord at the top. The reason I say this is because my friend screwed up his amp because he tripped and fell on a chord sticking out of the side and screwed up the input. So far, this amp has done me well and never broken down. // 10

Overall Impression: If you play any kind of rock, this is the amp for you. If it were stolen or lost for some reason, I would beat up the guy Who did anything to it and buy a new one for the hell of it. Also I liked that it was kind of a standard amp, that made it extremely easy to use. I love the sound you cna get out of this when it is set on distortion. Plus the flange effect works perfect for when I play my smells like teen spirit solo. This amp is comparable to a randell amp about the same size. But overall, it is an incredible amp for what you pay. // 10

Quad 65 DFX Reviewed by: castellorizon, on august 31, 2007

Purchased from: American Music Supply

Features: This amp is great. It is very suitable for all types of music providing that you have a good distortion pedal. It has two channels and it came with a footswitch that also has an effects Switch on it. The effects that it has are pretty good considering that it is coming from an amp and not from a pedal. The one thing I do wish that it had was a head phone jack. // 8

Sound: I use an Epiphone Les Paul Classic through it and I like the tone I get from it. It is really good for playing the blues or playing stuff with not so heavy distortion. It gets very little or no feedback at all. Also the clean channel is absolutely amazing.Again, the distortion isn't great but it will do a decent job. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This amp is very durable and solid. I accidentally hit it on my wall and beat up the wall pretty badly.never had any issues with it. I can use this amp wherever I go. I would most definitely use it in a gig. It weighs about 40 pounds so it isn't exactly light. // 9

Overall Impression: It isn't the greatest match for what I play rhythm wise, but for solos it is exactly what I need I play some heavy stuff but, it is very blues-esque. I do wish it had better distortion but, oh well. My favorite thing about it is the reverb effects. They are absolutely spectacular. // 8

More Kustom reviews rating category latest review
+ KXB200 8.2 Bass Amplifiers 11/26/2014