GC 120 Review

manufacturer: Laney date: 10/28/2011 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Laney: GC 120
I play most styles of music, and this amp is more than capable to performing whatever I am playing.
 7.4
 9.3
 5.5
review (1) pictures (1) 5 comments vote for this gear:
GC 120 Reviewed by: JBJBJosh, on october 28, 2011

Purchased from: Ebay

Features: This amp was made in 1996, and bought off eBay in 2011, still in an absolutely fantastic condition, and sounding amazing! It is very versatile, and produces a fantastic clean sound with a brilliant reverb setting. With a decent effects pedal, (I use the Boss ME-25 which I think is fantastic), which you can plug into the dedicated effects loop on the amp, the amp is very versatile. The amp has 2 inputs: hi, which is for low output guitars like those without active pickups, the second is lo, for active guitars with a high output signal. The guitar has two channels, normal and overdrive. Normal is a very clean sound which can be altered with gain, bass, middle, treble and reverb. Overdrive is more distorted, and is very good for lead guitar, and can be altered with drive, level, bass, middle, treble and reverb. The amp also has a remote jack which I don't use as I don't have a remote, however if I did, then I could use it to remotely switch between overdrive and normal. On the rear panel of the amp there are a further 5 jacks. A headphone jack, a direct injection jack, a speaker jack, (which is used for the 2 12" on board speakers, but can be disconnected to plug in other speakers)as well and a send, and receive for the effects loop. The two 12" H H speakers in the amp are extremely good quality, and can be very loud (120W) I think. And the amp is solid state, however you would be forgiven for mistaking it for a tube amp as it is has a very good sound. // 9

Sound: I am currently using a Schecter C-1 Custom with Seymour Duncan Custom pickups, and I can play pretty much anything through it, from blues to country to metal as long as I have my effects pedal handy! There is very little background noise produced by this amp, and when it is switched on in normal mode, you can hear virtually none at all. Although the on board pre-amp could be more versatile and it is only capable of so much distortion, with a decent effects pedal like I said earlier, the speakers are capable of nearly anything. And it sounds very good! // 9

Reliability & Durability: This amp is amazingly reliable. It has been going for 16 years without so much as a scratch on its body, or a crackle when you use it. I could throw this amp off a building, and still play it without hesitation afterwards! It is very reliable and very durable! // 10

Overall Impression: I play most styles of music, and this amp is more than capable to performing whatever I am playing, I used several other amps before purchasing this, such as an Ashdown Fallen Angel, a Roland Cube 80XL and a Fender 212 Frontman, and although it is not anywhere near the price of these amps and does not have as many features as some, its sound is on a par or even better than all of them, and I would recommend it to anyone. // 9

More Laney reviews rating category latest review
+ LV100 9 Guitar Amplifiers 03/31/2014