HCM10 Review

manufacturer: Laney date: 06/14/2011 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Laney: HCM10
Combine this with a 6.5" speaker, a CD input and a headphone output for silent practice and you have a small package equipped for some seriously big business.
 Reliability & Durability: 7.7
 Features: 6.7
 6.1
 5.2
reviews (6) pictures (1) 9 comments vote for this gear:
HCM10 Reviewed by: A3r0sm1th, on august 22, 2008

Features: This was the first amp I got when I first Started playing the guitar. At the time, I was learning basic scales, chords, and simple songs; therefore, I didn't need any special effects. Now that I've been playing for about 6-7 months, it's time to take the next step up, now that I'm big into distortion and such. This amp is great if you are a beginner guitarist and you're not into special effects yet. It has a headphone jack which is nice for practicing silentlly, and a CD input. // 7

Sound: I have a pretty basic begginer Tradition guitar that I bought at the same time as this amp, which I use. The amplifier was a great buddy for this guitar, and sounds nice since you don't need special effects while practicing scales, chords, etc. It has a Crunch (distortion is a more common term amongst us rockers) setting which sounds good for started rock songs. It also has an equalization knob and the master volume ofcourse. I would recommend keeping it at a fairly mild temperature and keep it out of the sun. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I could depend on this amp as long as I didn't abuse it and keep it in nice conditions (then again, what amp would survive physical abuse). On the master volume there are levels 1-10 (10 being the highest). I had my amp on 2-3 most of the time and it was plenty loud for my bedroom. However, one time, I turned it up to about 6 and it blew out on me! Therefore, I would keep it at a low volume and use it only for practicing, not for showing off. I would not use this amp for a gig because it's not big enough and it's not loud enough, I don't do gigs. This amplifier is perfect for everyday practice use. // 7

Overall Impression: My overall impression is if you would like to purchase this amplifier, you should be doing so if, and only if, you are either a beginner or in need of a quiet practice amp. Basic scales, chords and songs would be a perfect match for this little guy. Now that I'm a bit more advanced, I've moved on to a Marshall MG15DFX which is perfect for the next step up. If the Laney amp was stolen I think I would let the guy get away and purchase a Marshall. I do not regret buying it when I started playing, for we were a smart match. Therefore I give this product 7/10 stars overall for being a brilliant companion for young starting guitarists. // 7

HCM10 Reviewed by: indie_libertine, on june 01, 2005

Features: I'm not quite sure when this amp was made but it was pretty recent because it's in the Hardcore Max range and that has only been around for two years or so. I play anything from rock to indie but not much metal, which is good because the Laney HCM series is punk inspired and goes for brute force rather than guitar raping treble. Because it is the baby sister of the main HCM amp, it has your basic crunch (distortion to you and me), equalization and master volume settings but no more. However, it does have a cd input and a headphone socket so its not all bad. I use this lil bitch in my front room and even then on 3 volume I get screamed at so power is not a worry (is it a worry for any Laney amp? god bless their britishness). Overall, it performs as a beginners amp for people who know they don't want much in the way of metal and hour long solos. // 8

Sound: I use a Squire Strat and it sounds beautifully brutal on evey pickup style I care to choose; it can be ball achingly high and screeching, or brain pummeling forceful, or mellow and groany. As I mentioned before I'm an indie guy so my music is rooted in the punk that Laneys HCM amps are aimed at. With enough coaxing and experimentation I can get any desired sound out of my amp, as long it isn't the dreaded Metallica drone 'n' screech. It does give a little buzzing (whack the crunch up, close your eyes and convince yourself your're in a room with a buzz saw murderer) and if you get the wrong pickup combo it'll let you know that it isn't happy as long as you kepp the jack lead in tight, you shouldn't have a problem. As I've said, this can handle everything apart from extremes like les paul warmth or RG screech. There's no buzz on the clean and the distortion sounds like James Hetfield growling into your ear. Through a megaphone. // 8

Reliability & Durability: To be fair to my baby, I'm a slob. I don't clean it, don't service it and when I'm angry I'll kick the crap out of her. But she takes it and she's made of harder plastic than any other amp I know (aside from her big brothers). Marshall amps couldn't resist my punk fury put it that way. I wouldn't gig with her cos she's too small but hell she's a feisty one. // 10

Overall Impression: This is a beautiful match for me because even though I play indie and rock, I play the crap out of my guitar when I'm angry (which I am a lot) and this punk amp is perfect for that. As I said earlier I play a squire strat, but it doesn't matter in this amp; it just drags my sorry ass guitar to new and harder sounds. If my amp were stolen I'd plead for its bigger brother to my parents but I would try to get it back. My favourite feature is how it has not dropped in performance despite its age or the punishment I've dealt out. Though I am getting her big brother in a month or two because I'm expanding, I reccomend this to a beginner who likes punk (old and new) and has anger management problems. // 8

HCM10 Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 22, 2005

Features: I'm not exactly sure the year this amp was made, I'm guessing sometime during 2004. It was made in China. The features are: one channel, bass/mid/treble, headphone jack, CD input, and a button that applies the crunch mode (settings are the same as the as the 'clean' mode). This is a 0 Watt solid state amp, but its loud! I would have wished that it had an extra channel for a seperate crunch channel, as it's a pain having to re-adjuste everything. I use this amp in my practice room at home, and it has more than enough power. I rarely ever put it over half way, its too loud for me otherwise. // 6

Sound: I'm using a Barracuda Strat copy with this amp, so it's nothing professional. I play classic rock all the way up to hard rock and metal, and I can't really say this amp delievers. The clean is ok, nothing out of the ordinary though. When cracked on the clean, it makes a horrible hissing noise. On the crunch, it's limited. The crunch is good up to about the halfway mark, and then from there it just goes wild. If absolutely horrible note clarity is what your after, you found it. I'm not sure if its a problem with my wiring or not, but I found the sound on this amp really lacking. // 6

Reliability & Durability: I have only used this amp at home for practicing, without any problems at all. It doesn't have enough wattage for gigging though. You might be able to hear it if your in a normal sized room in your house, but beyond that its not able to stand out over the other instruments. I have had this amp for 8 months, and haven't had any problems. I wouldn't go around beating this amp out, but it looks pretty sturdy. // 8

Overall Impression: As I mentioned before, I play Classic Rock to Hard Rock and Metal, and I just couldn't get alot of the sounds of this amp. I would say this is best suited to Punk and Emo, where the crunch would fit in. I have been playing for 8 months, and I got this amp in a beginners package with a guitar, case, cord, tuner, and picks. Having been a complete newb at the time I purchased this, I don't see any questions I wish I had asked. I should have looked around for more effects, however. If this was lost or stolen, I would buy another amp, likely a used tube amp. This amp just has too limited of a sound range for my music styles. The best part of this amp would have to be the clean channel, at low levels its alright. The worst part is the crunch channel when cranked up, its absolutely horrible. Overall, this is a good beginners amp if your on a budget, it will get you through for a bit, but then when you get more proficient at guitar and your needs for sound go up, you'll realize this just can't deliever. // 8

HCM10 Reviewed by: TheNoseBleedKid, on october 04, 2006

Features: I received the amp for a birthday present back in 2002. Basically the ap has a great clean sound and a nice crunch when you add distortion, not metal but a classic/hard rock tone. Only 1 channel. I wish it had more channels and much more I would like in a newer amp puchase but basically for what it is I think it does the job splendidly. I don't use the EQ much, mainly because I don really know how or really need to. I use it only for practise at my home, it suits this to a tee. // 7

Sound: I've used a strat copy (S/S/S) and now a LTD Viper 30th anniversary. It sounded fine with both those guitars, I prefer the LTD but the strat copy sounded fine. I play bits of everything and I can get what I like from it. Granted I can't get Opeth-esque death metal from it but that's about it. When you sue the distortion feature there is hum added before you play. All in all I like the sound the amp gives, the clean sound are great and the distortion healthy. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I have owned this for 4 years without a hassle problem or any worry. I wouldn't gig with it, however I do trust the craftmenship of the amp. Everytime I whip out this amp whether it be from storage in a dusty cold old she'd or after it's been kicked over in my room or thrown around it still works as well as when I first got it, no complaints. // 10

Overall Impression: For a beginner practise amp I think this is a great product. As I said before I find it does clean and mild distortion well and handles them to my satisfaction. If it was lost/stolen I wouldn't get another one, not because of dissatisfaction over the product but simply because I have moved on to tube amps. I love that it's small, light, and sounds good for a small amount of coin. I gave it a high rating as I am rating it against other SS amps I have tried or heard played. I am not suggesting for an instant that this is better or as good as something like a mesa or what have you but I think for what it was designed for it does well. // 8

HCM10 Reviewed by: Damologist, on may 16, 2011

Price paid: A$ 50

Purchased from: Co-worker

Features: The other reviews have already covered the features, so I'll just blow through them quickly: - Chinese made 10 Watt practice amp If that was a bit vague, it also has: - Crunch channel - CD input - Headphone jack Now here's the story, I bought this amp off a co-worker in 2008 when I was beginning to get into guitar. As I was only using it to mess around in my bedroom, I guess it was sufficient back then. It lasted me for around 6 months before I upgraded. I haven't used it since, except to sometimes play music in the band room or amplify the metronome off my phone. This is a basic practice amp, nothing more, nothing less. // 5

Sound: When I got this amp I was playing a KKV Signature Special(No, not the EMG + Kahler model, I had the poser model with the misleading name) and back when I first got it I thought it sounded pretty good. Times change however and having just plugged my Jackson KE-2 into it prior to writing this review, the term "awful" springs to mind regarding the sound. If a nice Crunch sound is akin to Cornflakes without milk, the "crunch" on this amp is akin to a bowl of porridge. Yeah, it's pitifully weak, and unfortunately attacking it with golden syrup doesn't improve it either. The clean is ok, but mine has a weird buzz, which may be a damaged speaker or something, but yeah, it sounds bad. I tried running a T-Rex Bloody Mary distortion pedal through it to see if it sounds acceptable, but no it doesn't. It just sounds grainy and bad. So yeah, all in all the sound, be it the clean, crunch, or running a distortion pedal through the clean, all sound like rubbish. // 4

Reliability & Durability: Can you depend on this amp? No. Should you use this amp without a back up at a gig? Definitely! If you're after humiliation this amp will never let you down. However for added humility please consider taking a few of these to your next gig. We've all seen the "Walls of Marshall's", I really want to see a "Wall of HCM10's". Seriously, it's practice amp. Mine hasn't broken down, but the guy I bought it off had previously had it repaired. And now that it is making a bit of a buzzing noise when you play single notes through it, even at low volume. I'm gonna have to rate this low. // 3

Overall Impression: I play Thrash/Heavy Metal and this is a bad match. Simply, this amp is not Metal. I have been playing for about 4 years now, and yeah, this was an amp that I outgrew very quickly. Look, as a beginning practice amp, it's ok. I'm sure there are better ones though. Your best bet is to head to your local music store and have a play around on their practice amps to find one that is right for you. Who knows, perhaps this (or whatever the current model is in the Laney range) will be perfect for you. It just isn't me for me, and I like to write my reviews honestly. Maybe I'm being a bit harsh on a little 10w practice amp, but hey, this is how I feel about it. // 4

HCM10 Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 14, 2011

Price paid: € 80

Purchased from: EIG

Features: This 20 watt amp was made in 2004 in China, designed in the U.K. It has a crunch knob, which produces a light distortion sound, a bass, mid and treble knob and of course a master volume. It has a headphone jack and also a cd/line input. So actually little effects, no gain or reverb stuff. And although is not a very large amp, it can produce some high volumes. So it's all rather basic. // 7

Sound: This was my first amp when I started playing, and at that time I played a cheap strat, similar to most Squier-strats. For that, as a beginner guitarist, the amp is fine. You don't need a $800 Marshall for practising basic chords and simple licks. You can play quite loud if you want, good for jamming and stuff. The clean sound is not very special. With a Fender Telecaster (which I play now) I had a hard time finding the right sound for it and I had to turn the bass knob fully open and the mid and treble just a little. With a distortion (Boss DS-1) the amp sounds fine, but the crunch is not that good. After a couple of years it's time for a new amp, but I'd actually recommend this one for beginners. // 7

Reliability & Durability: Not very good for gigs because of its small size, you can hardly hear it when playing along with a drummer and bassist. But I've moved it around a lot, took it with me on my bike and used it very often, and it still works as if I bought it yesterday. Never had any problems with it. // 8

Overall Impression: I've been playing a lot of different styles, mostly rock, but also blues, jazz, metal and pop. As said before, it's fine for practising and I don't regret buying it. Now I'm a bit done with it because I'd like to check out different effects and I think my Telecaster can do better on another amp, so I'm considering buying a Fender Mustang I or II or maybe a Vox VT15. I'm rating it 7 because I enjoyed it for the past few years, and price vs. Quality was fine, but it's not a perfectly good amp. // 7

More Laney reviews rating category latest review
+ LV100 9 Guitar Amplifiers 03/31/2014