HCM120R Review

manufacturer: Laney date: 08/25/2008 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Laney: HCM120R
An extremely good all round amplifier, consider one as an alternative to the far higher priced US alternatives if you are looking around. Great value for money. The louder it is the better it sounds. Still that's true of most amps and would we have.
 8.9
 9.8
review (1) user comments vote for this gear:
HCM120R Reviewed by: r3r3r3, on august 25, 2008

Features: I don't really know where this amp was made in. It's enought versatile for me because it's made for playing loud as hell. I play metal, symphonic metal, trash metal and hard rock and heavy metal. It has just one active channel. It has one channel switching and one send and return loop effect slots, headphones, line out and headphones. I almost use them all, except for the loop effects and the lead boost button and level because I play through a pedal effects processor. I wish it had a better bass level because bass sounds are awful. I had to plug a sub-woofer-external loud speaker for this problem in the remaining slot. I use this amp. in gears and reharsals as a monitor. I play mainly in a Peavey KB300 and then from line out to the Laney. And it has all the power I always wished despite the bass frecuencies. I've reached to 6 and the sound is great. No speaker distortion, no vibration, everything excelent and clean. Even one time when I reached to 7! The sound is some kind of british solid state because the Celestion speakers it has. // 9

Sound: I use a Ibanez RG270, a Kramer Beretta and a Crafter electroacustic. And I think it suits very well. As I said before, I use it as a monitor for my drummer. I could invert the selection using the Peavey KB300 as monitor, but, my drummer needs power and not so much quality. In stage things could change, maybe. But I feel more confortable using asn my main amp. The Peavey KB300. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I definetely depend on it! And of course I'll use it without a back up. It has enought power for filling an entire stadium jejeje. It's never broken down besides I take care of all my gear as girlfriends. I've tested it in a very high levels and it responds quet well. It mentioning perfect! // 10

Overall Impression: I play metal, symphonyc metal, shreeding guitar, heavy metal and trash and it responds great. Clean as water sound. I've been playing for 14 years and this is the amp I always dream about. I own the Peavey KB300, this one Laney and a little monitor Samick SM-10. I should known it hasn't a good bass sound before buying it. But now a days this problem is a term of the past. If stolen, I will look for another one identical until find the same model and the same brand. Not for the quality, but for the power and clean sound even in high frecuencies and volume. Maybe the other option is an identivcal Peavey KB300, but first, I'll look for this Laney. I'm in love with it because the power, that punch it has. I do hate it because it's damn heavy! It's heavier than the Peavey despite being smaller in size. I blame the Celestion speakers and the transistor's cabin, and of course the cabinet made of pure wood. My favourite feature is that, in case I don't have my pedal effects processor, I could use the distorsion with this hardcore max and crunch factor option. It has reverv too. For me it hasno point of comparison. I chose this one because of the features it has. External speaker, line out, crunch factor, lead booster, headphones. In one word, everything a guitar player would like to have in a single amp. Not mentioning the full charge power of volume for playing loud without any problem. As I said before, those celestion speakers are capable for processing bass sounds. I don't know and can't understand why they made this amp without bass punch. // 10

More Laney reviews rating category latest review
+ LV100 9 Guitar Amplifiers 03/31/2014