HCM15R Review

manufacturer: Laney date: 12/27/2006 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Laney: HCM15R
The Hardcore Max HCM15R offers 15 watts RMS of full on hardcore max power. Packed full of big amp features the HCM15R offers a clean channel with full three band EQ and a full on MAX distortion channel with independent Crunch and Level controls for full on extreme distortion. Combine this with Reverb, a CD input that allows you to play along with your favorite players and a headphone output for silent practice and you've got a killer little amp.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.5
 7.7
 8.2
 7.2
reviews (2) 7 comments vote for this gear:
HCM15R Reviewed by: Rock Boy, on november 08, 2006

Purchased from: imuso

Features: This amp features 15-watts of power runned through a custom 8" speaker. There are two channels, clean and crunch. There is a three bands equalizer and a reverb knob. The name says Hardcore Max, and the amp keeps its promises! The crunch channel has an own knob for amount of crunch and a volume knob. There are line in and headphones jacks. This amp suits almost all styles of music, except from more overdrivy styles like country and blues. No footswich functions. // 8

Sound: You can make good sounds with this amp. The crunch channel is great, but can be noisy if you have too much high on max volume or if you have a noisy guitar or cable. It suits my style perfectly! I like that the clean channel stays clean when the volume turns greater. I use a DigiTech DF7 Distortion Factory pedal instead of the amp distortion, because there is a lot of more flexibility in the pedal. I also use a DigiTech Digital Delay pedal to make delay. I will get a modulation pedal soon. // 7

Reliability & Durability: It has never failed me practicing at home, and I don't think it would fail me at a gig either. I would gladly use it on a gig because of the solid construction and the great clean tone, but I will add distortion though via the DF7 because of the flexibelity. // 10

Overall Impression: This amp is great! I usually play punk to rock to hard rock to metal and this amp can do it all. I only wish that it had a footswich and a digital effects loop included. If I were to lose it, I would buy a amp with more power though, I think a Marshall. I don't think Laney Make these amps anymore, they have replaced them with the LX series. The HCM15R have been switched with LX20R. But it's a great bought, especially because it costs under 150$. // 9

HCM15R Reviewed by: chckndmplngs, on december 27, 2006

Purchased from: Brookdale Music

Features: This 15 Watt amp is definitely a beginner's amplifier. I got this amp about three years ago in a beginner's package with a guitar. This amp has a clean setting and a "crunch" setting. It has a headphone jack, a line in jack, three equalizer knobs (Bass, Mid, Treble) and a reverb setting. The reverb isn't too great, but it is good for a beginning amplifier. I just use this amp at home and it is good for just playing around. // 8

Sound: I am using a Washburn X10 guitar and I usually play jazz with this amp and it doesn't give me the results I want for jazz, but it's fine. When I play with a lot of volume, it seems like it's on the crunch setting because it makes it fuzzy. The sound is okay for most guitar playing. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I never use this amp for playing outside of my house, but it has never broken down. I have carried it throughout my house to listen to different environments and it has never busted anything. Although, sometimes I'll move it and it will sound like a spring broke. // 9

Overall Impression: I usually play jazz and this amp fits it well but there are sometimes where I wish the sound was a little bit "softer". I will probably upgrade to a 30 watt amp or something soon but for now, this amp is fine. I got this amp along with my first guitar, a Washburn X10, in a beginner's package. I really didn't know anything about guitars then so I really didn't care. Overall this amp is good for a beginner Who is just playing around in their home. // 7

More Laney reviews rating category latest review
+ LV100 9 Guitar Amplifiers 03/31/2014