HCM65R Review

manufacturer: Laney date: 04/29/2009 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Laney: HCM65R
The Laney HCM65 R features two totally independent channels. Clean and Crunch Factor, each with it's own three band EQ, the Crunch Factor channel has a MAX button for that extreme fully max-ed out distortion, reverb, CD/Line input for connecting an external sound source such as a CD or Mini Disc to play along to your favorite track or tuition CD. Channel status and reverb can be footswitched with a Laney FS2 stereo footswitch (supplied seperately).
 Reliability & Durability: 9.7
 Features: 8.7
 8.2
 9.2
 7.2
reviews (3) 9 comments vote for this gear:
HCM65R Reviewed by: cavalerescus, on september 05, 2006

Purchased from: Casa Veerkamp

Features: This amp is great, it has a 12" Celestion speaker and the amplification is generated from a solid state circuit, I play heavy metal and it suits me perfectly, our reharshalls are always in reduced spaces (garages, living rooms, etc.) and I use the amp in small auditoriums, the sound fills every corner. The amp has two channels: clean and crunch, even it has an extra distortion which provides an awesome effect. The power cumplies with the 65 W paid. I didn't like the send FX and return FX inputs, I don't use them. I'd like to say that the clean channel is not very "clean" (there's some noise) as I wanted, but it's a little price for the solid state amplification provided that the most stuff I play contains a lot of distortion. If you play some kind of metal, it'd be a good choice. // 8

Sound: I've got a Strat copy with single coil pickups, I like how it sounds with this amp, I've played in Marshall and Line 6 amps, and this amp sond like one of them or even better. I wished to have a lot of power and now I've got it! The crunch channel gives you a cool distortion, like '70s rock sound, if you want to perform an old rock bands or something like that, it's great! I use the crunch channel to play songs like: Smoke On The Water, Paranoid and I've Got The Fire. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I trust on it, it's built in wood, and appearently it's very solid, I take care of my gear, but sometimes stant on it, I kick it and hit it, and still sounds great and looks very well. I don't need a backup, this guy must be the backup for other amps. // 9

Overall Impression: I play heavy metal and this amp suits me perrfectly, I've been played for about 4 years, I have a strat copy, a RP80 and Metal Master DigiTech pedals. I wished to have a lot of power and now I've got it! If it was stolen probably I'd buy the same amp or maybe the next power model, it depends of my money, but definitively I'd buy this one. // 9

HCM65R Reviewed by: blueeleguitar, on december 16, 2008

Purchased from: A remus sound

Features: I bought this amp in late 2004 from local guitar shop. It is a simple solid state amp with two channels (clean and distortion) and I bought it with a foot Switch. It has an fx send and return which would be useful if you have fx (I don't) and also an external speaker socket in the back for when you need more power! I use this amp for everything, both bedroom and Live, for the bigger gigs have mic'ed it up. The amp is extremely versatile and has covered everything playing jazz at a big town hall to metal in the worst venue known to man. It even has reverb. // 9

Sound: I use this amp with a stratocaster with flat wounds(jazz strings, ) a superstrat and an electro acoustic. It copes with all styles perfectly but with the electro acoustic it sounds a bit weak and thin however, I would put that down to the guitar rather than the amp. I have never distorted the clean channel but the highest I have been is at 6. The distortion feature is awesome on this with two knobs, one for volume and another for crunch, and a max button that enhances the distortion for all you metalheads out there. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Reliable as you like. Never had a problem. Build quality is superb and even the footswitch that came with it looks like it can take a beating, they call it 'hardcore' for a reason! Has lost a rubber footer though but I'm not counting that. One thing that could be a problem is the open back which could cause the speaker to be damaged but this has not happened to me. // 10

Overall Impression: This amp is idea for me and I would really recommend this amp to others. Been playing 6 years now and this amp is a lot better than anything else I have seen for the price. If it was lost/stolen would buy Laney again possible not same model. Worst things are the weight and possibly the reverb which seems like an after thought! Best thing is the reliability. // 9

HCM65R Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 29, 2009

Purchased from: Cash Converters

Features: I wouldn't say this amp is very versatile, as the only crunch you can get is maybee some mild rock, blues etc. However, when pedals are added to the equation, then this amp is really quite good. Overdrive is a good base to be boosted by distortion/OD pedals. Has a pretty good reverb too. Clean very nice! Also has sockets for headphones and a speaker, which is great if you need more power. // 9

Sound: I play pretty much all styles of music, blues, jazz, pop, hard rock, metal, classic rock etc. Obviously it can't do metal without an overdrive or distortion pedal, but takes effects well. It isnt very noisy, maybee a little when the crunch is on full, but not a problem really. Clean channel is really great for light stuff, OD channel is bluesy rock/ rock type distortion, not enough for metal heads really. For a musician playing different genres of music, pretty good. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Now this is where it gets good! Verrryy reliable! It was second hand when I bought it, and that was two years ago! Never ever had a problem with it, in any way. I will probably be keeping this amp for a long time, especially when gigging, at least as a backup. I would always depend on this amp in any situation. // 10

Overall Impression: For 90 I was blown away by this amp, powerful enough for a gig (especially when you mic it up) reliable enough to go on tour, and has a really great tone. I don't think you can buy this anymore, as I think it has been discontinued, but if you see one around, get it! The single thing I would have liked on this amp is maybee another crunch channel, with more gain for heavier stuff, but other than that, it's excellent. I have played through Marshalls, Staggs, Carlsboros, and even an old Vox, and in my opnion, I would always choose this amp. For 90, it's simply amazing! // 10

More Laney reviews rating category latest review
+ LV100 9 Guitar Amplifiers 03/31/2014