IronHeart IRT120H Review

manufacturer: Laney date: 10/12/2011 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Laney: IronHeart IRT120H
Made in 2011, the Laney IronHeart I feel is very versatile! The amp is great round varying from blues to metal, but perfect for metal!
 9.1
 8.8
 9.3
review (1) pictures (1) 36 comments vote for this gear:
IronHeart IRT120H Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 12, 2011

Purchased from: Rockem music

Features: Made in 2011, the Laney Ironheart I feel is very versatile! 4 ECC83s, 2 6l6 (convertible to EL34s) The amp is great round varying from blues to metal, but perfect for metal! The amp has 3 channels, clean, rhythm and lead although on top of that you also have a boost which can be used on each channel each which has its own volume control. The amp uses a push and pull EQ, it is strange coming from a generic amplifier, although you do hear the difference using the push pull EQ. The lead channel has its own EQ but the Rhythm and Clean Channel share the one EQ, which I feel is a slight downfall. What I love about it is, that ti has a wattage Control, you can reduce it from whether you have the 60 watt or the 120 watt right down to 1 watt! The Dynamic and tone control are a great addition, the dynamic control tightens the lows and the tone changes the overall sound of the amp. Like I said previously before the amp is convertible from 6l6 to El34 there is a biasing switch behind the amp, just switch to what tubes you are using easy as. The footswitch which comes with it, is well build in a metal casing, it has 4 switches, Lead, Clean, Reverb, Boost. Although it is tricky to configure at first as you need both Lead and clean channels off to use the rhythm channel you get used to it. The amp is powerful even at low volumes // 9

Sound: I'm running this using a Jackson with EMG 81/85 and a Schecter with Duncan Designed. The amps cleans are nice although as I previously mentioned both clean and rhythm channel share the same EQ. Although the rhythm channel I feel has plenty enough distortion it keeps me satisfied, I play metal from classic Metallica to Parkway Drive to Bloodbath, I feel the rhythm channel alone is fully capable of awesome tones for this. Then you have the lead channel, which is another step up heavier, and on top of that the Boost which is brutal. The reverb is little disappointing as it doesn't have much effect unless turned to about 5/6. I'm playing though a 2x12 Laney cab with V30s. The amp insane, you have great tones with the wattage low or high, I usually have it round 15 watts and its powerful! // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've only had it a few weeks, but the amp is built in a very solid casing, The handels are built in to the head using metal and has a cross wire style cage. // 9

Overall Impression: This amp is perfect for me, it also has a red led bar in it which gives it an awesome glowing effect. This is my main amp, I've been set on it and love it. I've been playing for about 8 years and this amp just compliments my playing style. I was set on either the iron heart or a Blackstar HT100, I decided the iron heart was the way forward and I don' regret it one bit, it has all I need and more // 8

More Laney reviews rating category latest review
+ LV100 9 Guitar Amplifiers 03/31/2014