L5T Lionheart Review

review (1) pictures (3) 4 comments vote for this gear:
L5T Lionheart Reviewed by: Glenlivet, on march 02, 2011

Price paid: € 370

Purchased from: Cavalli Musica - Brescia

Features: "Featuring the purest of designs - 'single-ended' Class A output achieved with a single EL84, driven from 3x 12AX7 preamp tubes. The L5T-112 also features gold plated PCB's and jack sockets. Sealed gold contact relays are used in all signal paths for minimum sound coloration, and the amp comes fitted with the renowned "Type 4" large spring line reverb for the classic guitar reverb sound. Each L5T-112 features a hand stamped 'build number' in the order they come off the Laney production line, and comes with a custom made 'Lionheart' dust cover." Mine was built in 2007; it has two channels, clean and Drive obviously, and comes with a footswitch for both channel and reverb switching. Controls are clean volume, drive, Drive volume, bass, middle, treble, reverb and tone. Wish list would include seperate controls for clean and Drive but I rarely use clean so hey ho. It also has a bright Switch which apparently brightens the cleans. I use the amp at home and rarely get off 1 on the volume. For a 5 watt amp this is more than powerful enough for home use - unless you have no neighbours. It also has a nifty tilt stand so you can angle the amp up slightly. // 9

Sound: I use this amp with an Ibanez JS1000, RG1550 (Seymour Duncan pickups), AS73, Cort M520 and Fender Strat. I play claasic rock; AC/DC, Zeppelin, Rush, Skynyrd, Purple etc and it's almost perfect for this type of music. It has a very rich sound, almost too rich as I've yet to find a good setting for Nugent stuff - it wouldn't really suit thrash rockers although I haven't really had the chance to wind up the volume. Perfect for classic rock and blues though. With distortion on 10 and the RG on bridge PU it does get really dirty. I use a Zoom G2.1U for effects which sounds good through this amp. // 9

Reliability & Durability: The only problem I've had with this amp is that two of the preamps tubes and the main tube went tits up at the same time. I bought the amp as a demo model so don't know how much use it had had previously. Since replacing all the tubes with Mesa Boogies I've had no further problems. I don't gig and probably never will and treat the thing with kid gloves. The only unsolicited problem was the the retaining spring for the main tube broke although the valve is a tight fit so no real issue here. Having no previous experience of valve amps I emailed Laney suppport when the sound went AWOL and got a reply within 24 hours so support is pretty good. They also identified the year of build for me from the serial number. Nearly forgot, the leather binding on the handle has split on one side, handle still strong, just looks a bit scruffy. // 9

Overall Impression: As mentioned, I play mainly classic rock. I've only been playing for a year but knew the exact sound I wanted after 35 years of playing air guitar. I tried a Behringer modeling amp and a Line 6 Spider 4 30 and didn't like either. This is head and shoulders above. If I had to replace it I would try a few other amps but doubt I would find anything which suits my needs so perfectly. Not too many 5 watt valve amps of this quality around! Love the sound, hate the colour. As a relative beginner I find the sensitivity of the controls a bit painful 0.25 of a turn on any of the tone controls makes quite a difference so refinding settings can be tedious. Overall a fantastic sounding amp for a good price - I'd recommend it without hesitation to anyone in my situation, looking for a home amp with the umph to do a bit more if required. // 9

More Laney reviews rating category latest review
+ LV100 9 Guitar Amplifiers 03/31/2014