LC15R Review

manufacturer: Laney date: 02/09/2008 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Laney: LC15R
The LC15R has all the features of the LC15 and then some more. Combine all the tonal flexibility of the LC15 with an Accutronics reverb, a FX loop and an external speaker socket and there you have it an LC15R. Try running an LC15R into a Laney 4 x 12 cabinet and give your neighbours a BIG treat.
 8.2
 9.5
 6.9
review (1) 5 comments vote for this gear:
LC15R Reviewed by: lithium26, on february 09, 2008

Purchased from: Singapore

Features: My LC15R is a class A/B amplifier made in the UK. Not sure what year it was made in, but I'm guessing around 2006 or 2007. This all tube amp has only one channel, so for switching between clean(ish) and overdrive, you would need an overdrive pedal. This amp also has 2 input jacks: Hi and Lo. This amp has a bright Switch, effects loop, line out and reverb footswitch, as well as the standard bass, midrange and treble equaliser. The LC15R features Premium ECC83 preamp valves and Premium EL84 output valves. The feature that sets this amp apart from the LC15 is the "R", which is reverb. This amp is really versatile. It's inbuilt overdrive can get pretty high gain, for a Laney. I can get AC/DC-sounding overdrive from it. I can get my metal sound with the aid of my tubescreamer or any overdrive/distortion pedal. This amp allows me to get whatever sound I want. Together with my Fender AV '62 Jaguar, I can get my Frusciante sound. This amp really woeks well with my pedals too, unlike my Roland Cube-30. // 9

Sound: I am using the LC15R with my MIA Fender '62 Jaguar, as well as my other 2 guitars, which are a MIM Fender Strat and a 1977 Greco Les Paul copy fitted with Harmonic Design Z90 pickups.I play a wide range of music, which includes rock, hard rock, alternative rock, blues and metal, and I've got to say, this amp fits my wide range of music style perfectly. However, there's a bit of a problem with metal, but with the aid of a tubescreamer, metal's fine. Clean, this amp has a kinda Fendery clean, which is what I love about this amp. This amp is way cheaper than a Blues Jr, which was what I wanted initially. However, this amp has an advantage over the Blues Jr, in terms of gain. This amp can go pretty high gain for a one-channel amp. With the volume knob up, it sounds awesome. However, the amp can get pretty hot with extended playing at high volume, so I suggest it shouldn't be tried too often. However, at higher gain and volumes, there is an audible hum. It's probrably due to my guitars' single coil pickups, but the amp can get pretty noisy too. that's a downside to it, but I'm willing to overlook it as it is a good amp. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This amp is solid. I can depend on it. It can get very loud, and I use it in my band's practice space, and it can get louder than the drum set. I would use it on a gig without a backup, as this amp never failed me before, though I have only used it for 8 months. No issues so far. The tubes still sound great. // 10

Overall Impression: I love this amp. It is amazing and it fits my music style like a glove. I've been playing for around 2and a half years, and I've been through 3 amps, a Roland Cube-30 and a Johnson hybrid, and this amp blows both amps out of the water. If it were stolen, however, I'd probrably get the same amp or maybe the 30 watt amp, but I feel the 15watt amp is loud enough, and for gigs, just mic it up. I initially chose this amp because there were no Fender Blues Jr. Anywhere in Singapore, and that stores in Singapore would jack up the price of the blues jr really really really high. A cheaper alternative is this amp, and I love the fact that I got this amp. // 10

More Laney reviews rating category latest review
+ LV100 9 Guitar Amplifiers 03/31/2014