LC50 Review

manufacturer: Laney date: 03/05/2009 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Laney: LC50
This amp has two channels, clean and drive. It is a 50 watt tube amp, which is more than you'd ever need.
 9.1
 8.3
 9.8
review (1) pictures (1) 14 comments vote for this gear:
LC50 Reviewed by: ChazBcWarlock, on march 05, 2009

Features: I am unsure what year this amp was made but I bought it a couple of days ago and so I assume 2008 as it comes with full Laney warranty, this amp has two channels, clean and drive, it also has low input and high input which if you haw a low output guitar your supposed to put it in high output, and with a high output guitar to put it in low input, but I just put it in high input, the clean channel has gain, bass, volume, middle, treble knobs and a bright button. The Drive section has bass middle treble volume and a modern button, which I find makes the distortion more tight, it has main controls which are tone and reverb. It is a 50 watt tube amp, which is more than you'd ever need. // 8

Sound: I currently use my Jackson ke3 through it, I use my bridge pickup for high gain, metal stuff and the neck pickup for clean stuff, and the clean channel is very smooth and warm, it is superior to my old Roland Cube 60 and it competes well with Marshall cleans, for hi gain this amp is superior to any other in it's price range, the gain can be a bit loose on occasions though, but nothing a few eq tweaking and possibly a noise gate can't fix, it obviously doesn't compare to amp's which are over 800, but I would seriously consider this if you were looking to spend nearly 500. I can't comment on the amp on medium to high volume as I haven't had the chance to try it out but I assume it will be even better as tube amps get better the louder they go. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The amp is fairly heavy but also very sturdy, but it's a tube amp so have to be careful of the tubes. I would be able to use this without a backup but I wouldn't as it's common sense to always have a backup. I have not yet to encounter customer service so I cannot comment on that. // 9

Overall Impression: I play metal primarily and the gain is very controlled (except on occasions) but I am considering buying a valve overdrive/distortion pedal to compliment the tubes. I have been playing for 4 1/2 years and I've played Marshall avt's (which are nothing compared to this), jcm700 or 800(which I didn't find impressive but I didn't have enough time to eq it properly to my preference), Bugera's and peaveys and this outshines them all (except maybe the Marshall jcm800 or 700). The only thing I wish is that a footswitch was included but nevermind // 8

More Laney reviews rating category latest review
+ LV100 9 Guitar Amplifiers 03/31/2014