LG35R Review

manufacturer: Laney date: 08/02/2011 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Laney: LG35R
The LG35R features 30 watts output power into a 10" custom designed speaker wrapped up in a solidly constructed cabinet, with a leather handle, rubber feet and black plastic corners. Ideal for both the bedroom, and in the rehearsal studio. Great for recording too!
 Reliability & Durability: 9.5
 9.2
 8.8
reviews (4) 10 comments vote for this gear:
LG35R Reviewed by: adr11iano, on april 21, 2008

Purchased from: GAK

Features: I recently purchased this amp, so I guess it was probably made in 2007, it's pretty new anyway. I play mostly rock, punk and alternative, and the amp is pretty good for those genres, probably wouldn't be so good for metal, as when I tried playing metal, it wasn't to great, but for punk and rock, it sounded really good. There are 2 channels (clean and distortion) both have separate volume controls, but only 1 EQ, but that doesn't matter for me. The EQ options are treble, middle and bass, and for the distortion channel it has Drive (which is gain) and a 'scoop' button which give more bass. An extra feature is reverb, which is pretty good, but I hardly use it. The amp also has a headphones socket, a footswitch socket (uses a Laney F/S-2 one, which is good an worth paying 15 for), a external speaker socket, and there's a CD in socket, to play CDs through the amp. All in all, it has a good set of features. // 8

Sound: I play this amp through single coil pickups, but nothing special, and it does still sounds very good. When I play punk, rock or alternative, it suits them all well, though heavier genres it wouldnt, but I'm talking very heavy metal and death metal, it can play stuff like hard rock alright. The clean channel sounds clean most of the way up, sounds fine up til about 9 on volume, and the distortion cracks up near 9 too, but lower if gain is turned up. But for practise, or band practise it's plenty loud enough at 4 or 5 (normally in my room I have it at 1 or 2) and it sounds great! I gigged it at 8, and it sounded pretty good too. // 8

Reliability & Durability: It's pretty new (few months), but it's built like a brick, and I can tell it's gonna take a lot to damage it. I've gigged it once (small gig at mate's house) and it did fine, no problems at all. It's definitely a well built amp and should last a good while. // 10

Overall Impression: I love this amp, it's a very good solid state amp, and I did extensive research before buying it, and it looked the best 30W amp around for this price. Overall, very good value, and if I lost it, I reckon I would buy it again, or if not, definitely another Laney. // 9

LG35R Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 11, 2008

Purchased from: Yamaha Music Bangkok

Features: It was made in china. Features as say in Laney web. crunch(gain), reverb, Scoop button, share EQ Treble mid bass, 10 inch speaker 30watt The amps has nice speaker. You can see hugh magnet with good chasis. Speaker looks massive compare to other budget amps. The guy at the shop says the speaker is Laney custom but he thinks it is a celestion from the looks of it with out Celestion sticker(guessing to keep the price down.). Well I think it could be either celestion or Jensen or Whafedale. all of this are good though. Cabinet is beautiful. I used to have Vox VR15 which is nicely built This is much better and Laney makes that MG Marshall looks cheaper eventhough they are at the same budget. Nice leather handle. // 10

Sound: This is my second guitar amps. My first was Vox VR15 with 12ax7 valve in pre amp. This Laney is solidstate but it sounds like it has got a valve in it. When I hear this amps, It has that creamy smooth like my stereo. I listen to classic rock CDS from my valve amps with 12ax7 pre amps and El34 in power amps with Arcam CD player. This thing comes close to my hifi set. Thing is creamy smooth and good for jazz and classic rock. Soon you will not think it as a solidstate amps but a valve amp. Clean is clean and sound more expensive than it is. Effect is good enough for blue jazz rock but not metal you 'll need to add effect box. Overall power is good enough to control that massive speaker which is has good tone to it. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I just have this amp not very long, but I don't think it will have problem for longrun. It is nicely craft for budget amp inside out. Laney pays attention to this affordable amp. It looks strong with good matterial compare to other affrodable amps like Marshall or Fender. They have to do better than buying amp from China and put their name on it and charge the same. Eventhough this amp also made in China and have the same price. the quality is not the same. Shame on you. This is only my second guitar amps and I don't use it long enough so I 'll just give a nine for now for solid built. // 9

Overall Impression: This sonds close to what I listen from my home stereo( Arcam CD player and Tube amp). Jazz Blues Classic Rock. Queen, Eric Clapton, Elton John, Lenny Kravitz, Dire Strait. etc. I never thought that I would buy a solidstate amps since I've been listen tube amps for years. I was gonna get a Vox AD30VT with more effect and a bit more money. After I hear this Laney amp, I would save that money and buy a good effect box later on. I think this way will give me a better sound and tone I need. I only play guitar at home anyway. I am not an expert on guitar amps but I listen to many hifi stereo and I can tell when the amp or speaker is right. This one does, and it sounds as good as other good brithish amps. Creamy Smooth. In years after this when I get better I would consider Laney Vintage range like VC15. I also try the LionHeart combo and it is very good like hihgend valve amps should sound. I am happy with this little brother the LG35R. It is not as silky as the bigger brothers but the Laney smoothness sound and tone is there. It is the best affordable amp you can get. With out the price tag, you would think it costs more consider the sound, the built quality, and material. // 10

LG35R Reviewed by: Raptor195, on april 26, 2011

Purchased from: GC

Features: This amp was made on 2010. Its a very versatile and useful combo. I play some jazz and blues at my music school and mainly Red Hot Chili Peppers stuff with my band:D. It delivers very good cleans, incredible for a solid state amplifier. It feautures 2 channels, which are clean and crunch, as on most solid state amps, with a global 3-band equalizer for both of them, and a volume for the clean and a gain and master volume for the crunch. There is also a Reverb (not nasty at all, pretty decent but is not a very lush or "big" effect), and a "Scoop" button, that mainly boosts the mids and so giving a fatter sound. Input, Footswitch (FS2, not included), and CD/Line In. Outputs for the headphones and an external speaker, which is a feauture I love. The speaker has to be 4 ohms minimum. // 10

Sound: I'm playing a telecaster and an SG mainly. For big jazzy sounds you may like another amp, maybe even tubes, but for decent cleans and lightly distorted blues it is perfect. You can get good rock tones and incredible metal sounds in which the Scoop Switch is very helpful. A bit noisy when distorted but nothing too nasty. You can get very different kinds of cleans by tweaking the EQ and using the reverb and scoop switch, from almost Acoustic to funky riffs. The amp is not distorted even if you max out the volume when playing on clean. The distortion can get really heavy but if youre playing raw black metal you may want to get external distortions. // 9

Reliability & Durability: The amp is really heavy for its size, but it's mainly because it is very resistant. The thick wood is covered by the leather finish (I suppose it is synthetic), also the handle is made of leather and wont break. The controls are on top so its easier to change your settings ant also save space. I would use it in a small gig as a standalone or miked in a bigger one without a backup, as solid states are very reliable and thats another thing I like about them. // 10

Overall Impression: It is a good match for my RHCP style but of course when playing frusciantes stuff you need a lot of stompboxes to get his "tone", you also need tubes so I'm getting an English Muffin so that I get tube distortion without carrying a heavy Marhsall head. I have been playing for six years, and own a nasty Marshall MG100HFX that I use in my nasty drummer's house, and some small crappy amps. I plan leaving that band so I'll probably be using my LG35R with the Marshall MG speaker if it happens to be more than 4 ohm-resistant. (Yeah, I know, less wattage, but better tone from the LG than from the MG). I went to the store looking for a Laney Cub 8 and a delay, but the cubs where sold out so when trying the delay I had to try it in the LG, and it really surprised me as I thought at first it was a tube because of the design. Of course tube sound is better than solid state, but I can depend more on transistors than on tubes. I want tube tones so I'll get an English Muffin as I said before. If it was lost I would be very angry as I love it, and well, probably buy it again (why not?). I love the scoop Switch and the cleans, I dont hate anything about it, although the reverb is not something out of this world but works well. I also love that even though it has no FX loop, it is very "stompbox friendly", and the speaker wont break when using too much external distortion. I don't need anything else in an amp apart from EQ, distortion and maybe reverb, so this is a good match for me and for anyone looking for a good power that still fits in your car and also versatile for the studio. // 10

LG35R Reviewed by: Mark1234567890, on august 02, 2011

Purchased from: Euromusic Agency

Features: It was made in 2009 in China. It features 2 channels (clean and drive), volume control for clean channel, channel switch, Drive and master knobs for Drive channel, 3 EQ controls, reverb; headphone, CD/Line in and external speaker sockets. I use it at home and already with volume on 3 it roars. Wish it had some extra features. Like some effects. // 8

Sound: I'm using it with Squier Classic Vibe 60's Strat, and it sounds great, pretty much like tube, especially on clean. I play mostly classic rock, blues and some hard rock and it suits me very well. The sound is cristally clear. On clean channel, you can play everything from blues to country and jazz. On Drive channel, you can get everyhing up till hard rock. It is only noisy after 8, so it's not really for metal, but Laney is really friendly to pedals, so you can plug in some extra drive. Without it, it's great for Clapton, Knopfler, Gilmour players. Reverb is pretty inconspicuous, but there is enough of it. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Bought it a week ago, so can't really say, but I'm definitively sure this thing lasts. I cranked it up a couple of times, and I'm sure you can gig with it with no problem. I carried it across town and was concerned about the handle. But it has no signs of using. // 9

Overall Impression: For every Clapton, Knopfler, Gilmour kinda player, it is perfect. I've been playing for 3 years now, I've tried some other tube amps, but wasn't really satisfied, when I accidentaly saw this one behind me. I saw it before on the internet, and gave it a shot, since it's so cheap, and it was love after 1st tone played out of it. If it was stolen or lost, I would definitively buy a new one, but I love it so much that it surely won't happen. Overall, for that price you can't get a better amp than this, with such great sound and loudness. // 10

More Laney reviews rating category latest review
+ LV100 9 Guitar Amplifiers 03/31/2014