LV100 Review

manufacturer: Laney date: 03/31/2014 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Laney: LV100
The twin channel LV100 is entry level LV amplifier. It has a 65 watt output section, independent EQ for each channel, footswitchable reverb, speaker out socket, "V" scoop, and VTS tone shaping. It also features the Laney Tube Emulation Circuitry.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.5
 8.9
reviews (2) 9 comments vote for this gear:
LV100 Reviewed by: Jin12345678, on january 04, 2007

Features: I don't know the year this was made in. This amp is plenty versatile enough for me. I play Heavy metal, punk rock, alternative rock stuff and a little Jimi Hendrix. This isn't the most versatile amp, but it is enough.It has 2 channels, clean and Drive. There is an effects loop and a headphone jack, although I never used the headphone jack. this amp is 65 watts. I use it for small shows (I'm a student, so the only gigs I do are in front of other kids) and home. It's very loud so I usually use it at very low volume. It also has a bright switch for the clean channel and two switches for the Drive channel. One is a scoop switch and the other is the VTS tone shaping button. I don't know how it works but it changes the tone slightly, so you could get the sounds you want. // 10

Sound: Laney amps, in my opinion, have the best tone. I have an Epiphone Les Paul and it works beautifully. It has a nice, fat, deep, powerful tone on high gain. Both clean and distorted tones are kind of bassy. I play almost everything, from pop, altrock, blues and jazz to hard rock and heavy metal and it handles it nicely. But it isn't the best amp for metal. But if you tweak a little you could get a pretty nice tone for metal. The clean channel doesn't get distorted. This amp doesn't have the most brutal distortion, but on really high gain it gets pretty aggressive. But as I said, it is kind of bassy. I was surprised that I could get such a wonderful tone out of such a cheap amp. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've used this for a few months and there are no problems. But I would use a backup, because it might blow or something. But I think it will be quite a while before it blows. I've heard some other people who have used Laney amps and they seem to have no problems with it. // 8

Overall Impression: This amp is really good. I've tried a Roland Micro Cube and ofcourse it doesn't even compare to this one. I love the mid~high gain sounds, so fat and deep. If it were stolen or lost, I would buy a more expensive amp. I've considered the Roland Cube 30, but it sounded too digital, and I've also considedred the Fender Frontman 25, but it didn't quite have the tone that this amp provides. It isn't a perfect amp, but I'm pretty happy with it. // 9

LV100 Reviewed by: alexgg.pe, on march 31, 2014

Purchased from: Camufa

Features: You can find the full set of features on their site. Please note that the rating I give DOES take into account the price paid (in other words, a 10 signifies the best possible score for an amp or feature in that price range!) Basically its a 65 watt, "Tube Emulating Circuitry" amp with 2 channels (Clean and Drive). However, it also features 3 buttons; a "Bright" button for the Clean channel, the "V" scoop and the VTS Tone Shaping. Combined with the standard bass/mid/treble settings and 2 reverb knobs (1 for Clean and the other for Drive), these 3 features allow a great deal of customization for an entry level, higher wattage combo amp. Other features include an FX loop and headphone socket. It also comes with a Footswitch (FS2). // 10

Sound: I play mostly metal (KsE, Trivium, August Burns Red, etc); however I also play Blues and Neo-Classical pieces. I use a Boss Metal Core pedal for distortion, and a Boss Noise Suppressor. My guitars have high output, humbucker pickups. The clean sound is beautiful. Combined with the "Bright" button, you can get all types of sounds from bluegrass, country type sounds to melodic, classical and symphonic sounds. The Drive setting is most definitely the weakest link on this amp. When the Gain is set to around 5 or 6, you can get a nice sound for blues or even classic rock. When turned up to 10, you can PERHAPS get away with an '80s metal sound (think old school Metallica). However, the distortion is very grainy, and does not give a "rich, full" distorted sound. My Ibanez TBX30R gives a much fuller, chunkier sound that you need when playing metal.

However, my Boss Metal Core pedal sounds absolutely brilliant when used on the amp's Clean setting! Because the amp has so much customization with its equalization settings (because of the aforementioned 3 buttons), it's perfect for any Metalhead who prefers to use a pedal over amp distortion. Reverb gives slight noise at around 5, and a very noticeable sound at 10. This, however, is normal for most amps (especially in this price range). // 7

Reliability & Durability: Hardware seem solid. The knobs aren't lose at all. I don't play live shows very often, just jam sessions with buddies. I see no reason for it to fall apart during a show or anything. In fact, Laney states that it was made for live shows. Finished in a stage worthy black tolex and front fret with tough protective corners. It's very sturdy, but not too heavy, which is great. It seems both reliable and durable. It does not seem like it would wear off with lots of playing. I strongly recommend it. // 9

Overall Impression: This is a perfect match for me. I tested several amps (Marshall, Roland, and a Randal) some of which were more expensive, and in my opinion, the Laney gave the best clean sound of them all. It's also extremely versatile for the price. I would most likely buy this amp again if stolen or lost. I see no reason not to, but ya never know what next year's economical, best bang-for-the-buck amp will come out. Again, the most disappointing feature is the built in distortion. It's a terrible choice if you're looking for a great built in distortion. This was not a problem for me, however, as i explained earlier. All you need is a solid distortion pedal to have the best of both worlds. // 8

More Laney reviews rating category latest review
+ VC30-212 8.8 Guitar Amplifiers 03/04/2014