LV300H Review

9.6
reviews (3) pictures (1) 6 comments vote for this gear:
LV300H Reviewed by: mazerfaka, on may 25, 2011

Purchased from: Local shop

Features: I think this amp is from 2009, but I'm not sure. It has two distortion channels and a clean channel. I play a lot of punk, pop punk, hardcore etc. And I never seemed to get any nice tones out of this head, but I used a multi effects pedal to get something worthy. I bought the amp because it was cheap and I needed something LOUD, and yeah, it has enough power. I think it's a transtube so it has a nice ground tone, I got a nice sound with the help of some pedals but the original distortion and stuff is not for me! // 7

Sound: I used this amp mainly with my Fender Jag-Stang (modified with my all time favorite pick up Dirty Fingers) and I thought the sound was pretty awesome but when I got my Marshall I found out that this was a piece of junk in comparison. Its not noisy or anything like that, it's a pretty average amp, but a really good amp for the low price. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I Had it for about one and a half year, done some gigs and had in our rehearsal spot. It's taken a lot of beating, falling of the cab, been dropped to the ground when I was drunk several times and I lasted all that. When I sold it the person I sold it to asked about all the scratches and stuff and I told him the truth and he was like "wow". // 9

Overall Impression: I play punk, pop-punk, harcore and metal and all kinds of stuff and this amp has distortion and all but I needed some pedals to get the tone I was looking for. I always prefer not to have any pedals (besides a tuner) so this amp had to go when I bought my Marshall. It's a good amp for a good price, you get what you expect, I didn't expect a Mesa Boogie or a Marshall. It's just average. // 7

LV300H Reviewed by: Koldan, on july 01, 2011

Price paid: € 305

Purchased from: Music Store

Features: My amp is from 2009. It has one clean channel and two distortion channels. I play a lot of alternative rock, blues, jazz and some heavy stuff. I tried many combos and heads before and when I found this one I really fell in love for it. It has enough power to me and it is a hybrid and came with a nice footswitch. // 10

Sound: I use this amp with a Laney LX412A cabinet and play it through a Fender Blacktop Telecaster. It suits lovely with my music style that I mentioned before. The sound comes out very clean without any interferences. The clean channel is very good and I love the distortion channels with my fuzz probe. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I always use it in my gigs and it works perfectly. It is very good because I can play it even after some kicks. It is a amp that is very solid and well made. I wonder how it survives so many damage during my band concerts. It suffered so many damage and works perfectly it's amazing! // 10

Overall Impression: I play Muse, Radiohead, Rage Against The Machine, Jimi Hendrix, System Of A Down and other stuff and with help of my pedals it sounds wonderfully to me. It has a perfect tone that fulfill all of my requirements. I tried so many marshalls, diezels etc... And I really love my Laney LV 300 Head. // 10

LV300H Reviewed by: sparticus17511, on may 09, 2012

Purchased from: A Friend

Features: Pretty sure its the 2009 model but what an amp! Its powerful enough for massive gig's but yet you can crank the noise down if you really need to (so as not to annoy the massive neighbor who looks like he's on steroids) and still get a semi decent tone. The two distortion channels are good enough if you're looking to play blues or classic rock but I found neither of them are up to my style of music (5FDP, Stone Sour, Demon Hunter) but the clean channel is brilliant, and switching between the three is made easier and quicker with the foot switch that is thrown in. Lastly I'd just like to say how freaking loud this amp is, I used to live in a one bed flat and Couldn't Have The Volume Above Three As It Made The Windows Rattle! // 9

Sound: As a blues/classic rock amp I wouldn't be able to fault the LV300H as a metal amp. Power-wise yes its fantastic distortion wise. Its lacking the shear brutality I require, to get a semi brutal distortion you need to crank the volume right up, which then distorts the notes so you loose tone and gah. If you play metal, and I'm being serious, get a distortion pedal (may I recommend the Boss ME50? Technically a multi effect but the distortion and overdrive settings are awesome). Its not overly noisy you get a bit of hiss at high volume but it can be canceled by turning your guitar down when you're not playing. You can make a lot of difference between the two distortion settings by playing with the inbuilt basic EQ (High/Mid/Low) I for example have one set up for a more crunchy sound and the other a more traditional classic rock sound. As for the guitars I use I have a Schecter Omen FR Extreme, a Dean Custom and an Ibanez RG350, I used to run a Squire Strat with EMG SA/SA/95 pick ups but that got broken in a drunken encounter with the wall. Used to sound awesome though. Anyway all three guitars sound fantastic through it and considering I play in drop B some amps struggle to supply the tone needed to clarify the notes. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I would absolutely use this amp at a gig without a back up, you can't kill it. Mines been dropped, knocked over, had drinks spilt on it and even got dropped out of the back of the band wagon whilst it was moving, it still works as well as the day I brought it, doesn't look as good but still works! I know Marshall's and Mesa's may give a better tone and have a better distortion setting but seriously? Put one of them through what my Laney's been through and you'd be left with a few bits of wood and a load of wires. // 10

Overall Impression: Playing in a Metal band usually takes its toll on Amps, but not this one, the basic tone it gives is an awesome partner to my Boss ME50 distortion settings and can give our lead guitarists over rated Marshall a run for its money. I've been playing for near on 11 years now and have never played a half stack system I could rely on to turn on first time every time, with no problems, saying that I've never had a more reliable or durable amp full stop! If it were stolen I'd find the guy, beat him to death with the Head then take it back, if I couldn't find the guy I'd cry for a week then definitely buy another. I didn't actually compare it to other products, I knew it was never going to be a Marshall or a Diamond and I didn't want it to be, I personally think Marshall's are over rated, over priced and Very temperamental (go on hit me with your "Marshall's are amazing" abuse, but that's my opinion and I'm sticking to it). As for stuff I wish it had? Maybe a more brutal distortion but then that's just because of the style of music I play. For your average guitarist in a blues or regular rock band the standard distortion settings would be fine. Overall a fantastic amp at a great price, even new its not ludicrously expensive and will last you forever, I'd even go so far as to say it'd probably survive a nuclear blast. Along with cockroaches and Twinkies! // 9

More Laney reviews rating category latest review
+ LV100 9 Guitar Amplifiers 03/31/2014