LX12 Review

manufacturer: Laney date: 06/08/2012 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Laney: LX12
The Laney LX12 is a great little amp for practice. Featuring 10 watts output, twin channels, Global EQ and a 1x6" custom speaker. And as you can see, it looks the business too!
 Reliability & Durability: 9.5
 Features: 7.8
 7.9
 8.2
 7.5
reviews (6) pictures (3) 7 comments vote for this gear:
LX12 Reviewed by: cyanide533, on january 30, 2009

Purchased from: Guitar Collection

Features: This amp was made in Chine in 2005. It is Twin channel 10 watts solid state Guitar amp with three equalizers (Low, Mid, High), gain and volume knobs. It comes Black metal corners, gloss metal grille, rubber feet and 1x6" custom speakers. It has one stereo output and one CD line in input. With the price it comes with I cannot expect any other additional features. I wished it had a reverb and a foot switch. However if those two were included the price couldn't have been same. // 9

Sound: This amp is loud enough for home practise, I haven't tried it in jamming but I am not too hopeful it will be loud enough against drums. The clean channel is plain and sonically characterless. It does not colour anything. Therefore if you use good guitar it is going to sound like an expensive amp and vice versa. However I have noticed that the treble becomes more dominant if the volume level goes beyond 5... but it doesn't get clipped even at full volume. The distortion channel is same as clean channel; flat and doesn't colour the original tone. But the treble increases as volume increases. The distortion is relatively weak. it's good for playing classic rock which is one of my primary styles. I normally tweak from 5 to 8 to play classic rock. At 9 the distortion is quite good for playing modern hard rock solos adding sustain but at 10 it becomes noisy. However the noise doesn't overpower The Music itself and If you get good earthing the noise is reduced to an almost inaudible level. I have tried playing metal but it is not satisfactory. The equalizers really works but the change of tone isn't dramatic. I guess the equalizers, in this amp, is built for fine tuning not to change your tone to a great extent. // 7

Reliability & Durability: No wonder I can depend on it but considering a 10 watts amp to gig is a job for intellectually challenged person. This amp is kick and abuse proof. I dropped it from stair it survived, it dropped from my table, again it survived. The grill and the rubber act like amour plate. However the weakness I found is absence of a back cover where the speaker is protection less. The input and output jacks are solid and knobs are solid and firm too. // 9

Overall Impression: It is ok for any genres which are not high gain dependent. However you can use an external stomp box for that purpose. This guitar is good for testing how good a guitar is because it is flat and doesnt't't color your tone. So you wont be satisfied if you use a crappy guitar. I have been playing electric guitar since 2006 and acoustic since 2002. I have a Yamaha pacifica right now, it sounds ok with this amp. I also tried a PRS with this and it blew me off with thickness and warmth, again I tried an Cheap Indian guitar and it sounded disgusting. I think I will buy this again even if it was lost or stolen. I fancy for a tube amp but my neighbors are not sympathetic so I decide to buy a tonelab to play with this amp. // 8

LX12 Reviewed by: blobthedie, on august 25, 2008

Purchased from: Kempsters music

Features: Great amp for the price you pay. 10 watts, and more than loud enough for a bedroom guitarist, I generaly have it on 2/10. Gain, bass, mid, treble and volume knobs, all do their work perfectly well, and better than you'd expect for a cheap amp. Guitar input hasn't come loose yet, unlike my Squier Strat output jack, CD/Line in dose what it says on the tin, and whatever you're plugging in has to have an indipendant power source, phones jack's working at the moment. // 7

Sound: With light distortian it can make my affinity strat sound like an Fender american standard, loud even when unplugged, and I mainly play classic rock. The distortion isn't great, it just makes the guitar sound slightly warmer, but once you get past 7/10 it sounds like it should. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I've had it for a month and a half now, and it dosn't show that it's been out of the box for an hour. I've even sat on it for a few hours before now. Very dependable, I'd happily gig with it, If I was a better guitarist. // 10

Overall Impression: Good match for any type of music, from classic rock to country, but I've not tried any metal yet, and won't till I get a guitar with hummbuckers, I'll leave a comment when I've tried. If it were stolen or lost, I'd definatley get another, andI'm gonna stick with Laney amps even when I can afford a proper amp. I like the kick-grill too. I don't feel safe with a cloth-grill cos I'm really clumsy. If you're a starter guitarist, or just don't have enough money for a bigger better version, it's well worth 35. // 9

LX12 Reviewed by: gmilc, on september 02, 2010

Purchased from: Local Store

Features: It has a 10 Watt output, 1x6" speaker, 1 channel with switchable gain. Eq is bass, mid and treble, very simple. It's not very versatile, but I didn't expect anything better from a practise amp. It's ok at the beggining but when you grow as a guitarist you will need much better amp than this. One thing that I like on this amp is that it doesn't covers the original tone from guitar. In the end it's pretty decent amp. // 8

Sound: I use it on a Epiphone SG Special and original pickups (2 open coil humbuckers). I play hard rock, metal and a bit of blues. The sound is awesome for blues, a little less awsm for hard rock but still ok, for metal... This amp isn't made for metal. It makes strenge noises when the volume is on max and guitar get's fuzzy on lows. The clean channel is fine even at max. I don't turn the crunch and volume over 8 because I feel the amp is gonna explode. // 7

Reliability & Durability: It's a pretty reilable amp. It has a metal corners, rubber feet and a metal grille. It's unbrakeable on the font side, but easy brakeable on the back side. The speaker has no protection and the cable could damage it so it wouldn't work. I would use it on a gig without the backup. // 9

Overall Impression: I've been playing with this amp over a year now and it still sounds like the first day I bought it. It suits me very well, but now I need a better amp. If it were stolen I wouldn't buy it again, I would buy Vox or Marshall. I like that it shows what your guitar realy sounds like. // 8

LX12 Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 08, 2012

Purchased from: Euromusic

Features: Little lad with global EQ, one channel with volume and gain knob, 10 watts, 6" speaker, AUX in and phones output. Just about everything you need for torching it in the bedroom without disturbing neighbors too much or for plugging earphones and Jam when your parents wanna sleep. // 8

Sound: It sounds pretty good. The cleans are very nice, the sound is pretty clear itself, and overdrive is very good for all styles you wanna play (except hardest metals, but nothing you really need on a practice amp). // 8

Reliability & Durability: It is pretty sturdy. Actually it's the same thing as Laney LG12, but take this because it is better made than the LG. For bedroom jamming, you can have it for years without a problem. // 9

Overall Impression: As I mentioned, this is one of the greatest things for it's purpose in it's price range. Buy used one to save money. No sense to buy bigger one in the series, cause it is good for practice and jamming with friends, but nothing more. In short, if you need an amp for practice, find a used one at a bargain price and look no further. // 9

LX12 Reviewed by: mibe00, on april 13, 2010

Price paid: € 60

Purchased from: Melodie Vorisek

Features: I'am not sure where my Laney LX12 was exactly made, but I guess it's from Taiwan. It's very small combo, it has 5 controls (Crunch, Bass, Middle, Treble and Volume + Switch between Crunch/Clean), inputs for headphones and Line-IN. 10 W of solid state sound is perfect for home-training. I used to play it with band too, but it was bad. I had to turn the volume on 9 and the sound becames crap - harsh, "unreadable" (you cannot hear tones you're playing, it's like one big bad tone), no punch... Big advantage is weight - about 3-5 kg. In this way is Laney LX12 very versatile. // 8

Sound: You can create a lot of different sounds with this amp (though it has only 5 controls). I love clean channel - bright, straight, fresh, thin sound. By pressing Switch button, you'll get into Crunch channel. Crunch control is all you need to create Your sound. While Crunch on zero, sound gets bluesie/jazz drive. While between 3 - 8, sound gets rock'n'roll - rock - hard rock drive. By turning Crunch on 9 - 10, suddenly, you'll jump to metal drive. The amp is god damn sensitive while Crunch is on 10. Even little pressure on string makes scream. It's good for hammer on's and pull off's, feedback is almost instant. The amp is very loud. At home, I play it on Volume 3 and it's more than enough. On lower volumes, the sound is good, not great but good. On high volumes, it's horrible sound. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I have this amp 1,5 year. I've never had problems with it. The amp is very "tortured" by playing it loud, by feedbacks, by carrying it in car and it still plays good. In my opinion, if you're serious with guitar, it will hold on until you'll buy something stronger, something that will fit to you much more. // 10

Overall Impression: I play rock'n'roll/rock. The sound is very usable. As I said, great for home-training, very reliable, good sound on lower volume, easy to use, versatile. The Crunch is Laney-like - smoother, creamer... If you're fan of Laney sound and/or beginner + you need something for home-training, this isn't bad choice. // 7

LX12 Reviewed by: 3OddOnes, on october 27, 2011

Purchased from: Sutton Music Centre

Features: Basic but very versatile amp with Crunch, Treble, Mid and Bass, this amp forfils my needs to pretty much anything I play, from metal to classic rock to jazz improv, this thing really stands out from other practice amps. That said, it is purely a practice amp and not something you would use for a live show, because while the crunch may be solid, even on ten, this little amp sounds horrible when put above 8 on volume. Compared to my friends Marshall 15w amp that I have had a chance to use, I would have to say that even though I prefer the Laney for practice, the Marshall is a much better choice for gigging. // 7

Sound: On my Schecter Omen 6, this amp is just amazing and when put at 10, perfectly captures metal in it's purest form, when below 8 on volume. As I mentioned earlier, it sounds horrible when put above 8 even if you're playing clean. The main reason is because it moulds every single note you're playing into one big tone and by the end of it, you might aswell be playing white noise instead of that new metal tune you're trying to learn. Put the Amp on Crunch:5 with an Aria Strat copy, you get a great Classic Rock sound. I have no problem with the Crunch, Treble, Mid or Bass that make this amp such a good asset to a beginner guitarist, but the volume problems pull it's score down quite a bit. // 7

Reliability & Durability: The best thing about this guitar, throughout the three years that I've had it, it's never broken on me. I've sat on it, kicked it and been close to dropping it, but It's still in perfect condition. Even if I can't depend on the Volume, I can depend on it never to break in the middle of a gig, if I had to gig with it in the first place. The amp has never broke down on me and I suspect I'll have to wait a few good more years til it has a single fault. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall it's a very good starter amp and can live on with you for many a year without having a single breakdown. The crunch on it can perfectly re-enact any genre you attempt with it. However the volume lets you down a lot. I play it with either a Schecter Diamond Series Omen Extreme 6 or an Aria Strat copy with a Behringer UO100 (octaver pedal). If I had to give it any feature, a Delay would have been nice and possibly some reverb as well. If some guy stole this, I'd be annoyed with that guy, hunt him down get it back, then go out and get that Line 6 amp I've been having an eye for ever since I tried it in the shop along with the Schecter. // 8

More Laney reviews rating category latest review
+ LV100 9 Guitar Amplifiers 03/31/2014