LX120RH Review

manufacturer: Laney date: 02/08/2011 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Laney: LX120RH
It is a half stack with a 4x12 cab. There is two channels on the amp, Drive and clean. Both sound excellent.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.5
 Features: 9.5
 8.4
 9.4
 7.4
reviews (2) pictures (3) 16 comments vote for this gear:
LX120RH Reviewed by: syfg91, on october 08, 2009

Purchased from: thomann

Features: It is a half stack with a 4x12 cab. This is amp is extremely versatile and does well for all the styles that I play, this is anything from clean warm tones all the way up to high gain metal tones. There is two channels on the amp, Drive and clean. Both sound excellent. There is also inputs in the front of the amp for fx send and return and also a channel switching foot pedal (a Laney channel switch pedal is available at around 15) I use this at home for casual use, the local practice rooms and also I play shows with it and it stands up very well for each application with the perfect amount of power. // 9

Sound: The guitars I use through this amp vary yet they all have humbuckers in. I use an Ibanez gax 30 with an EMG 81 pickup in the bridge, the amp really works well with the EMG. I also use an ltd 256 with humbuckrs and the amp works well with these pickups too, although the pickups aren't the best. It suits my musical style very well as it can handle high gain without comprimising a clear sound. The amps range of sound isn't the best considering there are no built in effects etc apart from reverb, which gives a good sound. I haven't experimented as much with the clean tone but I know that it won't be distorted at high volumes. The distortion (crunch!) is very good and works well with active pickups, I prefer to use the amps crunch setting than using distortion pedals. On the other hand I would definitely say that if your price range is higher you should opt against this choice as there are better quality amps out there. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This amp is built like a brick s*!t house with a kick proof metal grill to protect the speakers and solid wooden construction. I would and have played this amp without backup a countless number of times and it has done very well. It has never broken down orfailed to perform at any point. // 9

Overall Impression: It is a very good match for metal music, especially taking into consideration the price ( very fair ). I have been playing around ten years and have played a lot of amps. I certainly can't say that its the best I've played, that would be lying, but what I can say is that for the price range anyone would struggle to get something as good quality as this amp. I was 100% happy when I bought this product as I had hired one regularly before hand. If it were stolen or broke and I had a semi restricted price range I would deffinitely buy it again. I love the crunch on this amp so much and it is my favourite feature. I honestly cannot say I hate or even dislike anything about this amp apart from the fact that it doesn't sound as goood as some of the high end price range amps such as Diamond or Krank, but that is to be expected. I chose this amp because I was very used to it as I practiced with it weekly. Another point is that it looks beautiful! The only thing missing is a headphone socket, I wish it had one of those just for conveniance. All in all this amp is EXTREMELY good for the price range and would definitely suggest it to anyone, UNLESS you have a stupidly high price range which, lets face it, few people have. Thanks for taking the time to read my review, if there are any grammar mistakes I do apoligise and hope your feelings aren't Hurt by them, I hope my review helps in some way. cheers // 9

LX120RH Reviewed by: NitroCam, on february 08, 2011

Purchased from: gak.co.uk

Features: I have the LX120RH head and the matching cab in the limited edition camo colour, It is a very versitile amp for my style which is mainly Death Metal and other extreme metal styles. It has two channels Clean and Crunch, the clean channel is crisp and clear and the response to the eq (pariculary the bass)is extremely strong. There is a CD input aswell which is a nice touch. There isnt any features I wish it had as I play with quite a simple set up (distortion pedal through the clean channel). Another great touch is the 'crunch' dial, unlike any other gain knob it goes through all the differant styles of Drive from slightly dirtyed clean and blues to thrash and old skool metal. It has pleanty of power for me as I use it for bedroom use (I was suprised t how queit it can go at bedroom levels)and band practices but I have yet to gig it yet but I'm confident its loud enuff! // 10

Sound: I am using it with a goth flying v with a Seymour Duncan invader and dimebucker, the amp fits this guitar very well and my style. There is no feedback I can hear on any setings. The crunch dial gives the amp huge variety, but there is no real heavy ditortion but this doesn't bother me as I prefer to use a pedal. // 9

Reliability & Durability: The amp has never broken bt I have only had it a month, the amp seems extremely well made and the kick proof grill does what it says on the tin. Furthermore with the camo edition the camo isnt painted it is actull DPM fabric which eliminates chipping and protects the amp. // 10

Overall Impression: As I have said it fits my style very well, I have been playing about 2 and a half years and this is my first stack amp. If it were stolen I wouldn't buy anything differant as this my favourate and best value amp I have played through I didn't really compare it to many other amps befor buying as this is the best metal amp at this price, and there is nothing more I want from it. Overall I belive this to be the best value metal amp with great versitility and durability, and I would recommend it to anyone who plays anythingg from grindcore to rock n roll. // 10

More Laney reviews rating category latest review
+ LV100 9 Guitar Amplifiers 03/31/2014