LX35D Review

7.9
 7.7
reviews (2) pictures (2) 2 comments vote for this gear:
LX35D Reviewed by: Lavatain, on march 12, 2009

Features: The LX35D is a nice practice amp, in photos it seems a bit small but isnt too small for me. It can get really loud for a little 50Watt. Some websites say it is 30Watt but there is text on the back of mine that says 50Watt ~50 /60Hz. It has 2 channels: Clean and Drive. On the Drive channel you have a XTS Switch that seems to make more distortion and less sound. Global EQ(Bass Mid Treble for both channels). Effects has 4 delays, 2 chorus, rotary, 2 flanger, 2 Octave(going down 1 octave), 2 reverb and a few combinations. I'm disappointed with the flanger because it does nothing and the other effects aren't that powerful. There is a headphone jack and footswitch jack(Laney FS-2) and CD/Line In. // 8

Sound: I use an OLP John Petrucci Signature Guitar with this amp, basic humbucking pickups, though very good. The clean channel suit's my clean sound because I do thrash metal music so the clean is good for Metallica. The distortion is quite good but only use it for Deep Purple without XTS on and Black Sabbath when XTS is on. I prefer using a Boss Metal Core pedal for my metal distortion and a chorus pedal both on clean channel. The amp gets a bit noisy on full crunch without XTS on but backing it down does good. The distortion is very brutal when maxed but more heavy metal than thrash. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I can 100% rely on this but probably isnt loud enough for gigs over 20 people. I don't have a full band yet so I can't tell you on that. It has a 'kick proof metal grill' on the front and does what it's called. Undestroyable unless you fire a bazooka at it. // 10

Overall Impression: I complete love this amp. It is my most powerful amp but I only been playin 2 years. It's about time I got a better one. This is a good practice amp and I usually have the volume at 2 so I'm guessing this gets really loud for playing in a house. I don't think it could get stolen or lost. Quite heavy for a little amp and I'm not weak so yeh lol. // 9

LX35D Reviewed by: dahelunover, on april 01, 2010

Purchased from: Furtados Music

Features: Made in 2006 or 2007, but not a 40th anniversary model for sure. It has two channels with a shared EQ, foot-switchable. No effects loop. Headphone jack available. Built in effects are available, viz. Delay, Chorus, Rotary, Flange, Octave, Reverb, Reverb+Chorus & Delay+Chorus. A level knob is available for varying them. Also some effects have additional sub options for selection e.g. Delay has 4; Chorus, Reverb, Octave & Flange have 2, while the remaining ones only have 1. It has enough features for a simple SS practice amp. It has 30Watts output of Solid State power which is plenty enough for practicing alone. Other features include a CD/Line input, so you can play a backing track with it & have your guitar active at the same time too. // 8

Sound: I'm using a PRS SE Custom 22 with it. The pickups are stock. I play clean, rock, metal & shred stuff. The amp can handle these styles fairly but not extreme metal or heavy metal. It sounds bright to my ears. There is a noticeable white noise when not playing at medium volumes. With the gain maxed out, the amp gets noisy & feedback's the louder you turn it up. It's a fairly versatile amp. The built in effects are usable & not extremely bad. Although you can't expect them to match up to a separate stomp-box though. The clean sound is good, gets little muddy when the volume is high. The distortion is fine, not bad really. I find it alright for my purposes. With the XTS Switch engaged & gain at around 8 to 10, it gets heavier, without that Switch its more of a crunchy/mid gain kinda sound. I did find that while using the Line In inputs, there was noise/hum introduced, it was noticeable & harsh. The volume also had to be lowered greatly on the Line level signal inorder to make your guitar sound audible. This feature is something that i found most lacking on the amp. // 6

Reliability & Durability: Its dependable at home. You could gig with it but small clubs only. This is the second one, the first one had a crack in the wood area of the speaker enclosure due to transport & was sent back. It was also one of the 40th anniversary models, this one however isn't & I find that it sounds different from the previous one too. It hasn't broken down yet & I haven't used it for a gig either. So for the durability side, its a little weak I'd say. // 5

Overall Impression: For the styles I play & what I use it for. Its alright. I have had it for 2.5 years now. My last upgrade was a Laney GH50l(all-tube head). I wish I had the Laney Cub series or Prism series out at the time I got it. I wouldn't buy it again if it were lost, I would go for a small tube amp or a multi-fx unit like DigiTech RP500 or a POD. The favorite feature on this amp for me is the octave & reverb effects. I didn't compare it to anything while buying it, I was an amp noob back then. Overall for the price & the few years of service this amp has provided to me, I find it was a good purchase in the end. // 6

More Laney reviews rating category latest review
+ LV100 9 Guitar Amplifiers 03/31/2014