LX65R Review

manufacturer: Laney date: 07/22/2009 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Laney: LX65R
The twin channel LX65R features a 3 band EQ per channel, CD input, headphone socket and a 1x12" Celestion speaker. With a 65 watt output stage it will handle live applications, plus connect up another cabinet such as the LX412A for even more power. Also check out the LX65D for the same features plus on board digital effects.
 8.7
 9.4
 7.9
reviews (2) 13 comments vote for this gear:
LX65R Reviewed by: cam_sampbell, on april 10, 2008

Features: The amp is pretty good for what styles I play as I usually have it clean or with light distortion and it fits it just fine. It has just 2 channels (clean and distortion) and the only effect is reverb which I don't use so that's OK, it also has line in, CD input, headphone jack and the possibility to hook up a cabinet which is quite good. Overall it suits my needs and that's about it. // 8

Sound: I have 2 decent humbuckers inside my Epiphone Goth G-400 (not what you think it is) and I think it sounds brilliant. The only time you get a lot of feedback is when you have the distortion up full which I don't have very often so that's OK. The sounds you get are mainly the basic sounds you'd expect from an average amp. The distortion is not as brutal as I would have expected from an amp that has on the front 'Extreme'. // 9

Reliability & Durability: It is very reliable, I would depend on it as my main amp for a gig with no back up as there is no chance of any 'The Who' style antics with the guitar as it has a metal casing which could probably resist a lot of attack. The only problem I've had was when it arrived because there was no sound, it was only when I looked in the back when I realised that one of the wires connecting to the speaker wasn't connected but that's probably from transit so other than that it's flawless. // 10

Overall Impression: I play classic rock/blues and it fits my needs perfectly from the moment I bought it almost a year ago and it hasn't failed me yet. It has great sound, great protection, all I need. The only flaw is the lack of effects, I would of prefered a chorus or maybe a flange but that problem is now sorted with my new effects processor. If it was stolen I would consider getting it again but I probably wouldn't not that it's bad, only because a Marshall would suit me even more. Overall, it's pretty good. // 9

LX65R Reviewed by: iakirov, on july 22, 2009

Purchased from: Musirama

Features: I can't tell for sure the year of manufacture of the amp, but I think it should be in the last two years. By itself this amp is versatile enough for me and my music altough it's better when you plug a multifx unit before or some distortion stompboxes if you're into metal. This unit, as said in its specs, has two channels, clean and crunch, obviously with a Switch in between (also you can use a footswitch for this), it has an effects loop, a headphone jack, an auxilliary speakers jack, and a RCA left and right CD input. I should say I'd wish more on-board distortion, but everyone has a distortion pedal so what the... I don't think I'll never use anything from it, it will depend on the situation. I've been using this amp at home, but I'm sure I'll use it if needed in Live performances in places like bars and pubs or small auditoriums. So far now I can say it delivers more power than that I need... This amp is a full solid state amp equiped with a 12" Celestion driver, solidly built, protected with a tough steel grille, bass, mid, and treble controls for each channel, and a XTS Switch that when on increase some mid-high frecuencies. // 10

Sound: I use this amp mostly with an Ibanez RG370DX with its Infinity pickups, humbuckers and single, sometimes I use a Strato style guitar with single coils. No need to say that for metal it sounds better with the first one. For playing metal, as I said before, it's better to use external distortion units to achieve an efen better, richer, condensed distortion, for hardrock and blues, it sounds great by itself. It shows some noise when used with the single coils, but that's a (d)effect of the pickups not the amp (and these pickups are old and cheap, so...). The LX65R has very cristal clear clean sounds, you can play mild crunch sounds, punk like sounds, bluesy and old rock overdriven or distorted sounds, and heavy metal distorted sounds, perhaps not the more extreme ones (sorry Korn/Slayer fans), not without the aid of stompboxes. At the levels I've used this amp the clean sounds never get distorted or crunched, someday I'll give it a try at it highmost levels and I'll update this review. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This seems to be an amp you can trust and depend on. It seems to be very well constructed, I've never seen the circuitry yet, but outside it feels like a tank. It's made with 15mm wood (or surely wood compound), covered with the typical black vinyl or tolex (don't know the proper name of it, some variant comes covered with green camo fabric), the corners have metal protection, and the speaker is protected with a metal grille not fabric, so it seems to be durable. // 10

Overall Impression: I'm mostly into heavy metal, the 80's style, for that, it is a good amp, a good choice. I've been playing for some ten years now, and I've used Crates, Peaveys, and Marshalls, but this is the amp I own. I use it with the guitars above mentioned and mostly with the Zoom G1X. I think I'll replace it with the same or any similar amp if something happens to it (I hope not), and I mean any other Laney. I should say that I love it construction and look, the sound range that comes out of that huge Celestion, the outputs and inputs it has, and the independant equalization and volume for each channel. I "hate" that the footswitch it's not included with the amp. I compared this amp to those I've used sometimes, those I mentioned before (can't tell exact models now, except for the Peavey Bandit), and I choose this one based on my experience with a Richter bass amp from Laney a friend has, and the price of it, altough inflated (it is complicated the situation here in this country), reasonable compared to other brands (not to mention variety it's not an easy option). Sometimes I think it would be useful it had a master volume to control both channels at once, but I can live without it and I guess you too. // 10

More Laney reviews rating category latest review
+ LV100 9 Guitar Amplifiers 03/31/2014