MXD120 Twin Review

manufacturer: Laney date: 10/11/2007 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Laney: MXD120 Twin
The MXD120 Twin is identical to the MXD120 but utilises twin Celestion 12" Drivers for a outstanding live power! It features the Laney Custom X-Factor DSP Digital Effects Package with Instant Selection Program Control plus Master Effects Level control.
 8.7
 9.4
 7.9
reviews (2) 7 comments vote for this gear:
MXD120 Twin Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 08, 2005

Features: The MXD series is a new one from Laney. Laney have been mainly a tube amp company for the last however-many years, but have introduced this 'hardcore' range to suit the needs of those on lower budgets. It has 2-channels, a clean and a crunch. Most fx-free sounds can be created on the crunch channel, and some excellent mellow and bright sounds can be found on the clean. The fx section of the amp, however, makes it possible to find 98% of signature tones out in the world of rock and blues. The amp features seperate equalizers and volume controls for each of the channels on the amp, and a selection switch, which can be controlled by the first of a two button footswitch (not inc. ). It also has a "max" button to increase the gain to "11" - ideal for rock and metal. The FX section is controlled by button two on the f/s. On the front panel, you'll find not only the knobs, but 3 6.4" jack sockets. An input, footswitch in, and line out. Look at the back and you'll find a ext. cab socket for an additional 4x12 or 2x12 8ohm cab (I use a Marshall 1960A) and an FX-loop (I use a Zoom GFX-5). You'll also see the back-ends of 2 celestion Seventy80 speakers - loud. The amp is encased in a hefty plywood cabinet. It has a rubber handle, but I have also installed cabinet handles on each side for a 2-man lift. There's a kick-proof grill on the front (no cloth) and 4 rubber feet for it to sit on. // 10

Sound: The amp is a solid-state system so the sound is not quite as good as a tube amp. However, the distortion provides an excellent recreation of tube overdrive, while the clean provides a rather standard clean tone. It is pretty versatile across differing styles of music, as it has 2 independant EQ sections and an FX section with control. The FX loop obviously allows further extension across the genre spectrum as a mmulti-FX like a line6 or Zoom can be plugged in for endless variety. It is a 120-watt, Twin speaker (or six with ext. cab) blaster so the noise it produces is something else! In a confined space it seems very loud, but for some reason seems louder on stage - strange! The instructions guide you not to take either volume knob above about 8.5, so both channel stay un-distorted at high volumes. The distortion can be turned up to 11 with the max button, so all ambient guitar tone can be lost. This is useful for heavy metal music like Maiden or Metallica. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Being solid state, it is more reliable. However, I never gig without backup, usually provided by the direct output of my footpedal (Zoom GFX-5) going straight into the PA system. This provides easy back-up if the amp were to go down. The amp hasn't gone down to-date, but has only been gigged 3-4 times in small venues so I can't really comment in this area. // 8

Overall Impression: I am fond of the Laney, and despite having the money to buy a better amp, I am perfectly satisfied with the amp alone. I am not at all attempted to buy a new amp as the Laney is a near top-of-the-range job in terms of solid state amplification, and is more than loud enough. Being a digi-FX person, a valve amp is pointless, as the entire sound quality is provided by the FX pedal, and will sound the same in any amp. The only contender in my opinion is the Marshall MG-100DFX combo, but this is more expensive, and you get less. I prefer to buy smaller brands in general, but the Laney's brutal looks and awesome power caught my eye and ear and I am utterly satisfied with the amp. I would give it about 85% as a review. // 10

MXD120 Twin Reviewed by: Rizazzo, on october 11, 2007

Purchased from: Olympus Music - Imsida

Features: I bought this big solid state monster for more power and man it really does give it. It has 2 channels, one clean and one dirty. These can be switched via a footswitch (not supplied). This also has digital effects which can be used on both channels and an effects loop. It can also be connected to a 4x12 cabinet with an ear-splitting 6 speaker result. I use this amp mainly for home and if I were gigging, I'd use it for small gigs, no need for cabinets and shit. If I had another of these I'd use one at our band's garage too. Btw this also has CD In with phonos. and line out. // 10

Sound: Man I never play this amp up higher than 3 or 4! The bass produced from it is so powerful that you can fell it if you stand in front of it. I play rythmn guitar and I like nu-metal, hardcore, death metal and such. This amp, combined with a little decent pedal distortion, is the cherry on the cake. I use an ESP Ax-250 with passive EMG's through a Boss MD-2 Mega Disrtion. The sound you get is tops. The good part is that the amp is so powerful that it doesn't break up even at 8-9. This amp can be used from clean to blues to rock to death metal. The amp's clean is crystal clear but the dirty channel is a bit noise, especially at higher levels. The distortion is good but a bit dry, I prefer a bit of pedal distortion for a wetter sound. Also half the effects provided are shit, the only good things are the octave, delay & reverb. The flanger, chorus, rotation simulator are all bs. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I could knock you out with a single strike with this thing and the only thing I'd complain about is the blood stain on my amp. It has a hard resin outer shell and a kickproof metal grille in front. No way your geting to this amp mister, no way. As to gigging, if I'd do it I'd probably do it without a backup because this guy ain't failing quickly. The reliability of solid-state amps is just the best here. // 10

Overall Impression: This is perfect to my style of music and gives the in-your-face tone I like when I'm playing. In fact this gives an in-your-effin-face tone which is even better. This is my main amp, my other is an Orange 30r which I use for practice only, so I don't need to lug around this one as it weighs quite a few pounds. If it were stolen I'd be impressed to the guy that would be running away with a 22kg amp on their back, but seriously, I'd probably go for the head version of this amp and buy a nice matching cab for it. I compared it to the Fender 212R but this simply won in terms of sound and price. I only wish it had better effects. Other than that I'm one happy camper. // 10

More Laney reviews rating category latest review
+ LV100 9 Guitar Amplifiers 03/31/2014