MXD15 Review

manufacturer: Laney date: 05/28/2007 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Laney: MXD15
This entry level hardcore MXD amp is anything but entry level, featuring a 15 Watt RMS amplifier stage, 8 custom-voiced laney driver, bass, middle & treble equalization controls, switchable clean and distortion modes with clean volume, master volume and crunch factor' controls. Phono CD input, headphone socket.
 7.4
 8.8
review (1) 2 comments vote for this gear:
MXD15 Reviewed by: rastaman_Marley, on may 28, 2007

Purchased from: The Guitar Shop

Features: This little amp is a great beginner amplifier. It sports an 8" speaker with 15watts of solid state power. It has a Drive channel called "crunch" with seperate level and "crunch factor" controls. The amp has a three band equaliser with bass, middle and treble, this gives you a fair amount of tone shaping but it could be better. The DSP effects knob is pretty fun to muck around with, 4different delays, 2chorus, 2flanger, rotary, 2reverb(hall and stadium level), delay+chorus and reverb+chorus which gives a beginner a basic understanding of what each effect does. Headphone and CD line in\out jacks help too. // 8

Sound: I'm in a band that does a fair bit of recording and it gets the necessary level of volume but my other guitarist has a 65 watt Randall and it can keep up with his but it doesn't sound as good due to the lack of wattage. I does pretty well for my style of music. It can get a pretty good BB King blues tone through my Epiphone lp and can handle metal and the harder stuff pretty well. On the Clean Channel at about three quarters it has a fair bit of noise when not playing and does start to distort a bit. As for the crunch channel it has quite a bit of noise at high volume but you can get a pretty mean distort out of it and I think I might prefer the Drive channel over my Boss BD-2 at times. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I played a few one-song gigs at my old school's assemblies but I crank it more at practice and it hasn't broken down in the 2-3 years I've had it. I'm a pretty clumsy guy, I love my gear but it gets knocked around a lot but this little baby stays strong. // 10

Overall Impression: This suits my style pretty well. It sounds pretty good through my crybaby and BD-2. It's a great beginners amp because it will satisfy your needs and can last a fair few rounds next to some of your bigger wattage combos. I probably wouldn't buy it again if it were stolen because I'm saving up for a Hotrod Deluxe but it is a great practice amp. I love everything about it (probably because it was my first amp and it has sentimental value) and I prefer it over my friend's Fender frontman 15watt. // 8

More Laney reviews rating category latest review
+ LV100 9 Guitar Amplifiers 03/31/2014