MXD65 Review

6.1
 5.2
review (1) 11 comments vote for this gear:
MXD65 Reviewed by: stew91, on november 09, 2007

Features: I think the amp was made around 2003 however I'm not too sure. I like the amps sound though a DigiTech Death Metal pedal, however the distortion on the amp is a very dull dry sounding crunch. Not really great for anything I play. It has clean and crunch channels. It also has a headphone socket. It did come with a footswitch however it didn't work, but I use a pedal so I'm not too worried about that. It has a switch to control a multitude of effects, it has also has options for variations of the effects and a level control for them. It's a 65w amp so fairly loud I use it in my bed room on the quietest setting and my mum still moans. She still regrets buying me it now. // 8

Sound: I'm using an Ibanez GRG170DX of which I use the bridge pickup which is a humbucker.I also use a DigiTech Death Metal pedal. So it suits my music style quite well I mainly play metal and hard rock. When I krank up the gain level on the pedal too much I get overwhelming feed back but on the seetings I use with the pedal feed back isnt really a massive problem. The amp doesn't have a great varity of sounds whith out my pedal. The clean channel can get very slightly distorted at a high volume which isnt a bad thing. The distortion on this amp isnt great whith full crunch on it isn't brutal it's a very dull farty cow tone. It's ok whith pedals though. // 6

Reliability & Durability: I've had the amp around 3 months now and I can say other then a crackly volum control I've never had a problem with it what so ever. I personally would trust this amp for giging however I hope to have a better amp by the time that comes. // 9

Overall Impression: I play metal and hardrock I'd say it suits me but there are amps out there that would do the job better. I've been playing around a year now and I use an Ibanez GRG170DX and a DigiTech Death Metal pedal. The main thing I love about this amp is the tone it produces with my pedal the thing I hate most? I would have to say the farty cow tone. If it was stolen I would hunt them down and eradicate them but if not. I would buy another amp that suits me more. // 5

More Laney reviews rating category latest review
+ LV100 9 Guitar Amplifiers 03/31/2014